Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
    I still have to get around to reading his stuff
    But I do agree with you...
    ...and he's closely followed by Ray Bradbury
    Bradbury is so good.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
      Bradbury is so good.
      I love him...his books are so awesome Something Wicked This Way Comes is seriously one of the best books I have ever read...and also the scariest book I've ever read. I still can't believe they made it into a DISNEY movie of all things...

Although I hope someone remakes it. lol
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I love him...his books are so awesome Something Wicked This Way Comes is seriously one of the best books I have ever read...and also the scariest book I've ever read. I still can't believe they made it into a DISNEY movie of all things...

Although I hope someone remakes it. lol
        And it was scary too, the movie. I have not read that in ages.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
          I liked the first Dark Elf series and the second trilogy the Icewind Dale series. Some of the later books got boring to me though. I haven't read any in about 12 years though and I know there have been new ones since. I have thought about maybe getting some of them.
          I have heard some others say that as well. I love every one of them, but I would agree the 3rd trilogy (Legacy of the Drow) was my least favorite. The one after that is awesome though (Path's of Darkness). It has 4 books and one of them serves as the 1st book in a separate trilogy about 2 of my favorite bad/gray/a little good guy type characters.

Also, RA Salvatore has a few other trilogies that are good, I loved the Crimson Shadow trilogy.

Twilight can anyone explain what was so good about it too me? It was not all that and a bag of blood (ah yes pathetic attempt to be funny )
          I haven't read them, but my wife loved them. Once I finish White I'm considering reading all of those. They are relatively short with relatively large print so I don't think it will take me very long.

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
          I've read far more fantasy than science fiction, but i hav e read some.
          I'm the same way. It is odd because I have much more interest in Sci-fi TV shows and Movies (could be due to availability of high quality stuff), but I have read very few Sci-fi books.
          sigpic

Comment

And it was scary too, the movie. I have not read that in ages.
            I've only seen a few scenes...I really wish I could get my hands on the full thing
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I've only seen a few scenes...I really wish I could get my hands on the full thing
              YOu should track it down.
              sigpic

Comment

YOu should track it down.
                I know...that and The Black Hole...lol

Disney had some interesting movies back in the 70s & 80s
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I know...that and The Black Hole...lol

Disney had some interesting movies back in the 70s & 80s
                  The Black Hole I have not even thought about that movie since it cam out. PG-3 And it's Disney all over one very mild curse word.
                  sigpic

Comment

The Black Hole I have not even thought about that movie since it cam out. PG-3 And it's Disney all over one very mild curse word.
                    HAHA lol

That's interesting. Considering that they later made The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is TOTALLY unsuitable for children but still had a G rating. And in Ratatouille one character says "hell" and it was still G. Not to mention the whole movie had an underlying subplot about one of the characters being an illegitimate child...LOL

Anyway...in addition to Asimov and Bradbury, Orson Scott Card is a master too
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

HAHA lol

That's interesting. Considering that they later made The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is TOTALLY unsuitable for children but still had a G rating. And in Ratatouille one character says "hell" and it was still G. Not to mention the whole movie had an underlying subplot about one of the characters being an illegitimate child...LOL

Anyway...in addition to Asimov and Bradbury, Orson Scott Card is a master too
                      It was a huge deal to them back than in the early '80's. I thought it was a bit silly myself.

Can't forget Philip K. Dick
                      sigpic

Comment

Don't kill me...but remind me what he's written? I know the name...
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I just finished an extended business trip, and used all the travelling moments to devour a bunch of classics I pulled out of my libary.

1) all 11 of the Hornblower books by CS Forester - no, they are not scifi, but they have inspired a great deal of scifi - David Webers Honor Harrington series is an homage to Horatio Hornblower right down to the the sharing of initials of the main character.
                          2) the original Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov
                          3) Jump Pay by Rick Shelly
                          4) The Call to Arms trilogy by Alan Dean Foster
                          ---------------------
                          sigpic
                          Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                            I just finished an extended business trip, and used all the travelling moments to devour a bunch of classics I pulled out of my libary.

1) all 11 of the Hornblower books by CS Forester - no, they are not scifi, but they have inspired a great deal of scifi - David Webers Honor Harrington series is an homage to Horatio Hornblower right down to the the sharing of initials of the main character.
                            2) the original Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov
                            3) Jump Pay by Rick Shelly
                            4) The Call to Arms trilogy by Alan Dean Foster
                            I will have to look them up and them to my list. I love re-reading old favorites too!

Speaking of which, I really need to type up my "to-read" list, because it is getting to long to keep in my head.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              Speaking of which, I really need to type up my "to-read" list, because it is getting to long to keep in my head.
                              LOL Same here
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                                I will have to look them up and them to my list. I love re-reading old favorites too!

Hi Spim:

The book by Rick Shelly is the 3rd in a series. It is military scifi, being the story of 13th Spaceborne Assault Team of the Terran Accord of Free Worlds. Rick went on to write another well known miltary scifi series "The Dirigent Mercenary Corps" after this book.

The Horation Hornblower series is the one of the most famous of all the naval fiction series, taking place during the French Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars (1792-1815) between Great Britian and France when Great Britian ruled the waters with her mighty navy. CS Forester was an inspiration for Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey series which also takes place in the same timeframe, Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe Series (soldier in the same war) and many scifi writers.
                                ---------------------
                                sigpic
                                Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Working...
                                X