Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
    At least I was kind enough to put it in spoilers. If only I could remember which damn book.
    Spoiler:
    I believe she was captured way back in the Path of Daggers. I think maybe my least favorite. Possibly because a certain young man is absent from it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
      Shall I start spitting book titles at you?
      Wikipedia. "The Path of Daggers" it is.

Comment

Wikipedia. "The Path of Daggers" it is.
        That's the ninth right?
        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
        ---
        sigpic

Comment

That's the ninth right?
          Eighth, I think.

Comment

The 8th.
            sigpic

Comment

Geez, Oranos beat me to it, lol. I don't think this thread has been this busy before. We should start a WoT thread.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
                Geez, Oranos beat me to it, lol. I don't think this thread has been this busy before. We should start a WoT thread.
                Maybe your right being as you just started on the third page on WoT
                Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                ---
                sigpic

Comment

Eighth, I think.
                  THat's what I meant Well.. that means you only gave me spoilers to the next book and not several books in the future
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah. Can we call it Narishma's Corner?

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!!

THat's what I meant Well.. that means you only gave me spoilers to the next book and not several books in the future
                    I put it in spoilers... It's your fault for clicking.

Truthfully, I thought it was a book or two ahead.

Comment

I really dont care if I know whats coming

My Bro told me...
                      Spoiler:
                      About Moiraine's death in the fifth book

before I was halfway through the first one
                      ---
                      sigpic

Comment

I really dont care if I know whats coming
                        In that case...

Spoiler:

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!!
                        My Bro told me...
                        Spoiler:
                        About Moiraine's death in the fifth book

before I was halfway through the first one
                        Lol. Yeah, I can see that being a bit of a downer.

Comment

Yeah. Can we call it Narishma's Corner?
                          Lol, you can if you want.

That's because
                          Spoiler:
                          it goes on FOREVER!

I don't know why I put it in spoilers since AR is going to read it anyway, lol!
                          sigpic

Comment

In that case...

Spoiler:

Lol. Yeah, I can see that being a bit of a downer.

I didn't really like her until that book though.

That's because
                            Spoiler:
                            it goes on FOREVER!

I don't know why I put it in spoilers since AR is going to read it anyway, lol!
                            I did
                            ---
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton
                              If you enjoyed the romance, excitement, philosophy, suspense and action of the SOT books as well as the characters in them then you may be disappointed with these elements in Jordan's WOT series. His skill lies in his epic world building. Everything else is just adequate. However unlike Terry he doesn't run out of things to write about by the 4th book so there are positives. After Temple of the Winds, Goodkind's books became very disjointed and extraneous until he recovered with the chainfire trilogy. With all this said I still think you will enjoy book 1 of WOT, which in hindsight might be the best one.
                              I've read both series (several times) and i think the problem with both series is that the quality of the later books in the series isn't consistent. Both authors shift the emphasis away from the main plot, in the case of Goodkind away from the main characters, and in the worst book (imo) the Naked Empire he spends way to much time on philosophical ramblings. I did like book 6 in SoT and i agree that the chainfire trilogy was an improvement over the previous books. Jordan after book six puts the emphasis to much on secondary plots making the series progress to slowly imo. The 11th book is an improvement.

Both series are very enjoyable, but they aren't as good as George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I think his quality of writing is more consistant and that his character development is better than Jordan's. Also there isn't such a clear distinction between the good guys and bad guys in a SoI&F then in WoT and especially SoT which makes the characters more complex and interesting.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                                I've read both series (several times) and i think the problem with both series is that the quality of the later books in the series isn't consistent. Both authors shift the emphasis away from the main plot, in the case of Goodkind away from the main characters, and in the worst book (imo) the Naked Empire he spends way to much time on philosophical ramblings. I did like book 6 in SoT and i agree that the chainfire trilogy was an improvement over the previous books. Jordan after book six puts the emphasis to much on secondary plots making the series progress to slowly imo. The 11th book is an improvement.

Both series are very enjoyable, but they aren't as good as George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I think his quality of writing is more consistant and that his character development is better than Jordan's. Also there isn't such a clear distinction between the good guys and bad guys in a SoI&F then in WoT and especially SoT which makes the characters more complex and interesting.
                                It's funny you mentione ASOIAF being superior, because I often hear this, and I get very confused as to why ppl actually feel this way. Surely the positives of being a better technical writer isn't more important than actual storytelling. The majority of his characters are dull and not even likeable so what difference does their moral ambiguity really mean when Martin never establishes a reason why we should even care about them? The plots also never go anywhere. Martin drags his feet thru 4 books! The worst is that there is never any kind of closure at the end of each book. It's like watching a 3 hour film 20 minutes at a same. You kind of know the plot and characters but have no clue where any of this is going. Also the whole "fantasy" element just feels thrown in there and not really part of the actual story. When I first started reading this I actually thought it was a 4 book series which was really the only reason that kept me going, that and Arya's little adventure but I was sadly mistaken.

As for his "consistency" I don't think you can compare two writers who have written 11 books each to someone who's only written 4 and dragging his feet to his 5th one. Many fans are already complaining about his fourth book. Jordan and Goodkind were pretty consistent thru 4 books as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X