Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Care View Post
    Huh, see now to me book six is one of my favs. It was my favorite before 11 came out. And lots of people say 7-10 are slower paced (like what the poster above said). I still enjoyed them, but Knife of Dreams (11) rocked, IMO.
    Seven is my favorite one so far
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---
    sigpic

Comment

Huh, see now to me book six is one of my favs. It was my favorite before 11 came out. And lots of people say 7-10 are slower paced (like what the poster above said). I still enjoyed them, but Knife of Dreams (11) rocked, IMO.
      "Lord of Chaos" and "The Eye of the World" are probably my favorites.

While 7-10 are slower, I think it works in the sense of it seemingly being the eye of a hurricane. You've survived the first half, now you get to prepare for the worst. I still enjoyed it. Not everything has to be a battle...

Originally posted by Care
      I have read both WoT and SoT series and IMHO WOT kicks SOTs butt. Although I read only the first 5 or so SoT and it was years ago (except I revamped WFR last year and I couldn't get back into it). I don't know why somebody would say WoT doesn't have a lot of focus on the characters. Some people complain it has too much. I'd say the magic system is closest to the force in Star Wars. The focus is similar as well, but WoT has much more focus on the characters since it's a book series where the characters have 1000's and 1000's of pages to develop and grow. I agree with Oranos in that there are many more characters, lands, peoples, cultures, etc... So maybe the main characters don't get as much screen time, but I don't feel they're under developed. I feel the added places and cultures add to the books and make it feel more real.
      Wheel of Time has been far better than Sword of Truth. That the latter has so few characters in comparison gives an edge in terms of character development. Hold the two to main characters only, I'd swing the edge over to Wheel of Time. But you can't honestly sit there and tell me that you think Jahar Narishma is sufficiently developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallista View Post
        Wow, okay, consider me impressed. I thought I was pretty fast reading the whole of Sword of Truth (11 novels plus the prequel novella) in exactly eighty days, but WoT is even longer!
        Yes each book on average is like the size of Wizard's First Rule. A daunting task when you consider that after the first book, action and suspense becomes mostly limited to the end of each book. Anyway it's amazing what you can accomplish when you cut out bad tv shows from your schedule. I consider myself a very slow reader.

I plan to start reading WoT soon, but I'm worried it'll be a disappointment after SoT because I keep hearing from people that the WoT series doesn't have a lot of focus on the characters, but more on the magic system etc. Still, I bought all the books, I should at least give book #1 a try.
        If you enjoyed the romance, excitement, philosophy, suspense and action of the SOT books as well as the characters in them then you may be disappointed with these elements in Jordan's WOT series. His skill lies in his epic world building. Everything else is just adequate. However unlike Terry he doesn't run out of things to write about by the 4th book so there are positives. After Temple of the Winds, Goodkind's books became very disjointed and extraneous until he recovered with the chainfire trilogy. With all this said I still think you will enjoy book 1 of WOT, which in hindsight might be the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
          But you can't honestly sit there and tell me that you think Jahar Narishma is sufficiently developed.
          No. He is no where near a main character. There are way too many characters in WoT to be fully developed. I said I didn't feel the main characters were under developed. Main characters to me being the kids from Emonds Field. I feel I know them and understand them pretty well. My favorite is Mat, I kind of have a crush on him! Most guys I know love Perrin and in the later books he drives me nuts.
          sigpic

Comment

Most guys I know love Perrin and in the later books he drives me nuts.
            I'm a guy and I like Perrin the best Mat and Thom come in second
            Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
            ---
            sigpic

Comment

No. He is no where near a main character.
              I can't hear you... I mean, I don't read lies.

There are way too many characters in WoT to be fully developed. I said I didn't feel the main characters were under developed. Main characters to me being the kids from Emonds Field. I feel I know them and understand them pretty well. My favorite is Mat, I kind of have a crush on him! Most guys I know love Perrin and in the later books he drives me nuts.
              Hate Perrin in the later books, though not as much as Faile. Out of the Field Group, Mat probably for me too. Without the crush, obviously.

I'm sure you can guess my overall favorite.

Comment

Hate Perrin in the later books, though not as much as Faile. Out of the Field Group, Mat probably for me too. Without the crush, obviously.

What do you consider "the later books"?

If there is any "good" character I hate it is Egwene. She needs to do something exciting

THe Dark One?
                ---
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
                  What do you consider "the later books"?
                  Spoiler:
                  Right around the point Faile gets captured. Can't remember which book that is. Unfortunately, I'm at college and my set is at home.

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!!
                  THe Dark One?
                  The Dark One's Avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
                    I'm a guy and I like Perrin the best Mat and Thom come in second
                    Lol, it must be a guy thing. I don't know that many girls that have read the series, most are men. Perrin must be easy to relate to or something.
                    Spoiler:
                    Doesn't it bother you the way he reacts to his annoying wife? I want him to beat her a$$, and when I read it I want to tell him he's reacting all wrong. Lol, their whole relationship drives me nuts.
                    sigpic

Comment

Lol, yeah I'm starting to catch on.
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Right around the point Faile gets captured. Can't remember which book that is. Unfortunately, I'm at college and my set is at home.

The Dark One's Avatar?
                        I apparently haven't read that yet (I dont mind the spioler though)

Shadar Haran? (I think that's right..)

Lol, it must be a guy thing. I don't know that many girls that have read the series, most are men. Perrin must be easy to relate to or something.
                        Spoiler:
                        Doesn't it bother you the way he reacts to his annoying wife? I want him to beat her a$$, and when I read it I want to tell him he's reacting all wrong. Lol, their whole relationship drives me nuts.
                        He is A common person who doesn't understand women at all and is totally confused by her
                        Spoiler:
                        Not really I like Faile
                        ---
                        sigpic

Comment

Still a guy. Still hate Perrin. Can't relate to him at all. I am left with one conclusion:
                          Spoiler:
                          it's the wolves, I tell you. The wolves.

Spoiler:
                          Yeah, pretty much. Is it bad that I want to stab two fictional characters?

Comment

Still a guy. Still hate Perrin. Can't relate to him at all. I am left with one conclusion:
                            Spoiler:
                            it's the wolves, I tell you. The wolves.

Yeah, pretty much. Is it bad that I want to stab two fictional characters?
                            THe wolves only make him cooler

Yes. (just because one of them is Perrin and the other Faile)
                            ---
                            sigpic

Comment

Lol, yeah I'm starting to catch on.
                              Would you believe me if I said it was Mazrim Taim?

Actually, it used to be him. Shifted to Jahar Narishma on my second full reading. The rest is history.

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!!
                              I apparently haven't read that yet (I dont mind the spioler though)

Shadar Haran? (I think that's right..)
                              At least I was kind enough to put it in spoilers. If only I could remember which damn book.

Yup. Shadar Haran.

Comment

At least I was kind enough to put it in spoilers. If only I could remember which damn book.

Yup. Shadar Haran.
                                Shall I start spitting book titles at you?

Hes cool Of course, I like all Myrrdraal Chosen, not so much, not up on Trollocs either.
                                ---
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X