Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
    I've read two of them. They are very popular.
    The third one is one of my favorites Didn't know that.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
      There's a series called Pendragon that I really like. It's written at a teenager's reading level but it is realllly good. There are 9 books out so far.
      The Pendragon Series is one of the very best. I mentioned it in one of my earlier post but sadly no one had read it, GLAD TO SEE THATS CHANGED!!! If you liked the Pendragon Series then you'll love GONE by Michael Grant. Now THAT series is one thats in my top 5, along with City of Glass, City Of Ashes, City Of Bones, and The Hunger Games (I recommend them all of course).

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        i've only read one SW book, but i think i can recommend it, it is set after ep 6, all the characters are there, but leia and han have kids, it's called "the crystal star"
        Thanks
        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
          Thanks
          Oh, I think I might have forgotten one of my fave stand-alones: The New Rebellion. I must've read it about a dozen times. I don't really like The Crystal Star, though. Luke is so... weird in it. *shrug*

Comment

You left out the Dark Nest Trilogy between New Jedi Order and the LOTF.
            Pretty sure I left out a lot more than just those three, *LOL* (Can't believe I forgot The New Rebellion; I adore that book!!!) I did it from memory; I guess I could've just pulled a complete list from wookieepedia, but this was a lot more fun! Anyway, re: Dark Nest, I banished 95 % of that story from my mind; I guess I wasn't too impressed with what they did to Jaina and co. and the Kiliks.
            Is the Thrawn Duology the one where Kyp Durron is introduced?
            No, he was already introduced in the Jedi academy trilogy. In fact, he was one of the main characters in those three novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallista View Post
              Pretty sure I left out a lot more than just those three, *LOL* (Can't believe I forgot The New Rebellion; I adore that book!!!) I did it from memory; I guess I could've just pulled a complete list from wookieepedia, but this was a lot more fun! Anyway, re: Dark Nest, I banished 95 % of that story from my mind; I guess I wasn't too impressed with what they did to Jaina and co. and the Kiliks.

No, he was already introduced in the Jedi academy trilogy. In fact, he was one of the main characters in those three novels.
              Millenium Falcon too But Fate of the Jedi: Outcast is pretty good Haven't finished it though.

Ok.. been trying to find the ones where he is Dark Side.
              Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
              ---
              sigpic

Comment

Millenium Falcon too
                I didn't much care for MF. Not too strange, considering the fact I'm a Luke fan, and so a novel in which he only appears on the com system for a few seconds wouldn't really appeal to me. It was an interesting idea for a story, though, what with it not dealing with a major crisis for once.
                But Fate of the Jedi: Outcast is pretty good Haven't finished it though.
                Read it last weekend in one day. I used to take longer than that, not read more than about fifty pages a day, but in the past three months I read an average of 105 pages of the epic-length Sword of Truth. After that, a book with only 300 pages (and really large font) just didn't seem that long anymore, *grin* It was a good start of the new series, although I'm not sure about the
                Spoiler:
                relevance of some parts of the story. Hopefully that'll get explained in later novels.

Ok.. been trying to find the ones where he is Dark Side.
                Who... Kyp Durron? He's very DS in the
                Spoiler:
                Jedi Academy trilogy
                . Mind you, sometimes I wonder if he's really at the Light Side later on. He seems to really enjoy challenging Luke in just about everything.

Comment

I didn't much care for MF. Not too strange, considering the fact I'm a Luke fan, and so a novel in which he only appears on the com system for a few seconds wouldn't really appeal to me. It was an interesting idea for a story, though, what with it not dealing with a major crisis for once.
                  I liked it. Always wondered about its history. Of course, I'm not partial to certain characters... exept Mara. Mara is just awesome... (hence I didn't like LOTF: Sacrifice)

Read it last weekend in one day. I used to take longer than that, not read more than about fifty pages a day, but in the past three months I read an average of 105 pages of the epic-length Sword of Truth. After that, a book with only 300 pages (and really large font) just didn't seem that long anymore, *grin* It was a good start of the new series, although I'm not sure about the
                  Spoiler:
                  relevance of some parts of the story. Hopefully that'll get explained in later novels.
                  I'm wondering what the
                  Spoiler:
                  Kessel expedition
                  has anything to do with the plotline.

Who... Kyp Durron? He's very DS in the
                  Spoiler:
                  Jedi Academy trilogy
                  . Mind you, sometimes I wonder if he's really at the Light Side later on. He seems to really enjoy challenging Luke in just about everything.
                  IS that where he
                  Spoiler:
                  destroys the sun?
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

I liked it. Always wondered about its history. Of course, I'm not partial to certain characters... exept Mara. Mara is just awesome...
                    Ah yes, Mara. Maybe partly for that reason, I had a bit of a hard time adjusting to Outcast. Suddenly, it's just Luke and Ben without nobody else of the main characters around. IIRC the writers never really focused on the father-son relationship before, and it felt a bit strange at times.

I'm wondering what the
                    Spoiler:
                    Kessel expedition
                    has anything to do with the plotline.
                    Exactly my thought. I honestly don't know. It just felt like a filler. There is one scene in that part of the story that I think might be important for future novels, but that's just a wild guess.
                    Spoiler:
                    It has to do with Allana hearing this strange voice...

IS that where he
                    Spoiler:
                    destroys the sun?
                    Yup. Doesn't get a lot more evil than that, I think.

Comment

Ah yes, Mara. Maybe partly for that reason, I had a bit of a hard time adjusting to Outcast. Suddenly, it's just Luke and Ben without nobody else of the main characters around. IIRC the writers never really focused on the father-son relationship before, and it felt a bit strange at times.
                      I like that portion of it.. but it still doesn't seem right without her.

Exactly my thought. I honestly don't know. It just felt like a filler. There is one scene in that part of the story that I think might be important for future novels, but that's just a wild guess.
                      Spoiler:
                      It has to do with Allana hearing this strange voice...
                      It's a good filler.. but yea.. its a filler.

Yup. Doesn't get a lot more evil than that, I think.
                      Ok.. I've been looking for what series he did that in for a long time
                      ---
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok.. I've been looking for what series he did that in for a long time
                        The problem with the JA trilogy is that it's just not that good. Well, that's MHO, anyway. But if you do decide to read it, do yourself a favor and read I, Jedi afterwards. It's extremely entertaining to see how the author of I, Jedi cleverly retcons a whole bunch of stuff from the JA trilogy because things just didn't make sense in those three books (I, Jedi is set during the same time as JA).

Comment

Well it's taken a month and a few days but I finally finished all 11 books of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan as well as the prequel since I can't seem to be ignore the constant recommendations for these books. Nice series. I can see why its so popular. Book 1 was pretty good but there was a dramatic dropoff in action and suspense after that which is a bit puzzling.

Comment

I can't wait until the last Keys to the Kingdom book comes out...*nags Garth Nix*

Yes, I know I'm technically too old to be reading them, but they're good
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy
                              Yes, I know I'm technically too old to be reading them, but they're good
                              There's absolutely no shame in reading young adult/childrens books. Have you read the Abarat books by Clive Barker? They're really good, very original.

Anyone else here into urban fantasy?
                              sigpic

Comment

I started the first one, but I couldn't really get into it But I love reading ya/children's books still Like The Wizard of Oz...I LOVE the original book
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X