Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
    I began reading books over 2 months ago for the first time. Previous to this I had read 2 not including ones I did back in my school days. Now I'm up to about 29. My inspiration came from being exposed to the Sword of Truth book series by Terry Goodkind which were amazing but I fear this may have ruined me. Since then I've been horrible disappointed with everything else I've read. The books I've read have been missing many of the aspects I seem to enjoy in any story and that's deep characters, great plot, action, drama, suspense and romance too. Alot of these elements are simply missing or few and far between in the books I've read below.

A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula Le Guin
    Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R Tolkien
    Song of Ice and Fire 1-4 - George Martin
    Guardians of the Flame
    Star of the Morning - Lynn Kurland
    Outlander - Diana G
    The Host - Stephanie Meyer
    Timeline - Michael Chricton
    I am Legend - Mattheson
    Riftwar 1-3 - Raymond Feist
    Cry Wolf - Patricia Briggs
    If you like the SoT series so much, you should give the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan a try.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      better than the movie eh?
      Have not seen the movie.
      sigpic

Comment

Dangit I still haven't gotten to re-reading Coraline. I wanna see the movie! boo
        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandom Addict View Post
          I'm reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. It's quite good so far

AT LAST!!!

someone who i can talk about alastair reynolds to!! lol! seriously, he is in my top 3 favourite authors, i have read nearly all his stuff!! and i recommend it all! rev space is just the first step into his universe, and it does not slow down!
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post

AT LAST!!!

someone who i can talk about alastair reynolds to!! lol! seriously, he is in my top 3 favourite authors, i have read nearly all his stuff!! and i recommend it all! rev space is just the first step into his universe, and it does not slow down!
            This is the first book of his I've read. He's very good.

Comment

I'm considering just buying all the Ender books now...
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandom Addict View Post
                This is the first book of his I've read. He's very good.
                i'm glad you like, if you are wondering the other books set in the same universe are

Chasm City (set just after "the plague")
                Redemption Ark (sequal to Rev Space)
                Absolution Gap (Sequal to Red Ark)
                The Prefect (set many years before "the plague")

Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days (2 novellas set in the same universe)
                Galactic North and other stories (a selection of other short stories set in the same universe)

And Other Unconnected Novels
                Pushing Ice
                Century Rain
                House of Suns

Zima Blue and other stories
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

I started World War Z the other day, it's pretty much sucked me in.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                    I started World War Z the other day, it's pretty much sucked me in.
                    I read a bit of that but had to stop. Reading POV interviews of zombie upheavel bored me. The story if you can call it that wasn't really going anywhere.

Comment

I read a bit of that but had to stop. Reading POV interviews of zombie upheavel bored me. The story if you can call it that wasn't really going anywhere.
                      Format isn't bothering me. It's a bit like reading field notes from research interviews.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                        I'm considering just buying all the Ender books now...
                        Well before you do just a bit of warning. I just finished book one of the Dresden Files and Ender's Game. By the time I got to book 2 of Ender's Saga that 12 year old kid you were reading about in book one is now 35 years old!

Comment

Well before you do just a bit of warning. I just finished book one of the Dresden Files and Ender's Game. By the time I got to book 2 of Ender's Saga that 12 year old kid you were reading about in book one is now 35 years old!
                          Oh wow. lol
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

It's best to read book one first and then the very last book which came out a few months ago. Not sure where you go from there.

Comment

Well, I'll just focus on reading the first one for now and then figure the rest out later
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X