Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believe it or not, I've read far worse books than Twilight. I've read hundreds, no, thousands of books over my lifetime and there really are some horrible books out there. I recently read (or rather, tried to read--I couldn't finish it) a truly awful book called Gossamyr. It really was dreadful....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      I was amused by the first one- it was bad, but at least I was amused by it so it was kinda fun to read the once. Can't say the same for the rest of them. Crap like that shouldn't be published, period. I mourn the trees sacrificed for that book.
      Let's hold a candlelight vigil for them.

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
      Believe it or not, I've read far worse books than Twilight. I've read hundreds, no, thousands of books over my lifetime and there really are some horrible books out there. I recently read (or rather, tried to read--I couldn't finish it) a truly awful book called Gossamyr. It really was dreadful....
      Just because there are worse ones out there doesn't make the Twilight series any better. It's still horrible.
      sigpic

Comment

Anyone read anything by Julie Czernada?
        sigpic

Comment

Why didn't I see this thread before!? I love reading, and I'll read nearly anything! Not so much Sci-Fi, but more fantasy.

Sci-Fi:
          The Grand Tour Series by Ben Bova
          Some Star Wars books, all of the Jedi Apprentice books
          Space Above and Beyond
          3001 (I think) by Arthur C. Clarke
          My Dad has hundred of sci-fi books I've not even started on yet!

Fantasy:
          Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling (Love this series)
          The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice (This one too, am re-reading it again at the moment)
          Diskworld - Terry Pratchett
          The Vampire Diaries - L. J. Smith
          Atermis Fowl
          Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit
          & many more!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
            Anyone read anything by Julie Czernada?
            I was just looking at her while at the bookstore today. Didn't buy her though.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
              I was just looking at her while at the bookstore today. Didn't buy her though.
              Oh, you most definitely should. Do you like science fiction? She's a biologist by profession so I know that one of her series in particular is heavy on the science aspect.

But a good book to start with is A Thousand Worlds for Stranger. It's the first in a fantastic trilogy. She really makes the world and the story pop to life.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, you most definitely should. Do you like science fiction? She's a biologist by profession so I know that one of her series in particular is heavy on the science aspect.

But a good book to start with is A Thousand Worlds for Stranger. It's the first in a fantastic trilogy. She really makes the world and the story pop to life.
                I will have to pick that up. I already had an arm full of books today and had to cut myself off
                sigpic

Comment

I will have to pick that up. I already had an arm full of books today and had to cut myself off
                  What did you end up getting?
                  sigpic

Comment

What did you end up getting?
                    Acacia by David Anthony Durham, never read anything by him so we shall see.

The Riven Kingdom book two in the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Miller. First was a really good read, not very happy but, it sucked you in and kept your attention. Which is really hard to do when the main character is not very likeable.

Plus my usual round of Aussie food periodicals and a giant cookbook.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Riven Kingdom book two in the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Miller. First was a really good read, not very happy but, it sucked you in and kept your attention. Which is really hard to do when the main character is not very likeable.
                      Coincidence. I'm reading it as well.

Plus my usual round of Aussie food periodicals and a giant cookbook.
                      I love cookbooks.
                      sigpic

Comment

i recently picked up Ian M Banks' "use of weapons" from a charity shop, and it's pretty good so far.
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

Coincidence. I'm reading it as well.

I love cookbooks.
                          How funny we are reading the same series. I love cookbooks too.
                          sigpic

Comment

I finished Anansi Boys today and absolutely loved it. Neil Gaiman has gone up many notches in my book.

Comment

The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes, amazing series which has four books and is complete!
                              Spoiler:
                              I still hate how Mr. Keyes killed off z'Accato, but at least he got his famous wine he'd been searching for... *sniff*

The Erevis Cale Series\Twilight War by Paul S. Kemp, the only Forgotten Realms books I've read, and are very good, with rather dark but extremely interesting characters. Azzrim has got to be one of thee most unique bad guys in any Fantasy book I've read.

The Pendergast Series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, it's not exactly sci-fi or fantasy but it has supernatural edges to it.

And of course theres A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Amazing books, if a bit hard to read (for me at least).
                              "For the record, I'm always prepared - I just have to press this button." Kevin Marks - Stargate SG-1
                              "How many times have I told you, boy. You don't fence knights. You drop large objects on them from atop castle walls." z'Accato - The Briar King
                              "When you play the game of thrones, you either win, or you die." Cersei - A Game of Thrones

Comment

Originally posted by Tatyana_Oracle View Post
                                [B]

The Pendergast Series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, it's not exactly sci-fi or fantasy but it has supernatural edges to it.

I have read all of them and love them. I recommend the ones they have written individually also.
                                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                                Sig by The Carpenter
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X