Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between the regression in the writing style and the sheer pile of saccharine tripe that was thrust at the reader, there was little in the epilogue that I enjoyed. It felt... simple. Shallow, if you will. I much prefer the more poignant ending already provided in DH; would "Gone With the Wind" have been better if it hadn't ended with Scarlett's famous line, but rather a quick, tacked-on scene (that had obviously been written years previously) that showed her with Rhett in a rebuilt Tara?

I think not.

(It probably doesn't help that I think Ginny Weasley is one of the biggest mistakes to grace fiction, does it... )
    Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
      Can I join your minority? I quite liked the epilogue as well and I can't figure out why other people don't....
      As others have pointed out...it was cliche. But I liked that. I also thought they deserved the happy ending.

And I liked Ginny! I'm not usually any sort of shipper, but when it came to the epilogue, everything happened just the way I wanted it to.
      gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

I like Ginny (and happy endings), too.

So what would people have preferred to see?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
          No, I get what you mean.

I'm a sucker for unhappy/imperfect endings but I still liked it.
          Well, unhappy/imperfect would be more like Lemony Snicket...but then again, that's an entirely different series

(and no spoilers, I still haven't read the 13th one)
          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
            Well, unhappy/imperfect would be more like Lemony Snicket...but then again, that's an entirely different series

(and no spoilers, I still haven't read the 13th one)
            I think I've only read the first five of those. Not sure why I stopped because I did like them.

Comment

My copy of Shadow's Return was shipped today! I was hoping to receive it on release day, even if I don't plan to read it right away. Has anyone gotten theirs yet? I already saw one good review on LJ.
              gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                I've been reading my way through Sara Douglas's Wayfarer Redemtion series
                I need to read these again

Comment

Has anyone here read Michael Marshall's "The Intruders"?
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    Has anyone here read Michael Marshall's "The Intruders"?
                    I've heard of him and of that book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. I can't really say that I'm all that into crime/thriller novels. Is it good though? Writing and plot wise?

Has anybody read Neil Gaiman? Any fans of his work?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                      I love Neil Gaiman. American Gods is one of the better fantasy books I've ever read, and his short stories are simply wonderful (I'm thinking specifically of "Chivalry," here).
                      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
                        I love Neil Gaiman. American Gods is one of the better fantasy books I've ever read, and his short stories are simply wonderful (I'm thinking specifically of "Chivalry," here).
                        Neil Gaiman is awesome, I agree. However, I haven't read "Chivalry", which is surprising. Which anthology was it published in?

"A Study in Emerald" never ceases to amaze. But my favourite novel would have to be "Neverwhere". I love the world he creates, the darkness of the world and the characters, and how he writes it all.

"The Sandman" graphic novels are also amazing.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've heard of him and of that book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. I can't really say that I'm all that into crime/thriller novels. Is it good though? Writing and plot wise?

Neil Gaiman is a writerly god. My favourite author.

I think my favourite of his short stories is "Snow Glass Apples". But that's a tough pick to make.

And "Chivalry" is a must read- it's in "Smoke and Mirrors" along with "Snow Glass Apples".

*is anxiously awaiting "The Graveyard Book"*

Comment

Michael Marshall isn't really reducible to crime/thriller genre. His books are more of a Stephen King meets Thomas Harris with a big bad conspiracy thrown into the mix to spice things up. He manages to build up sinister conspiracies of Gargantuan proportions on such little routine everyday things it's just plain creepy. I don't want to give away too much of the premise of "The Intruders", but I can promise you it WILL make you doubt your sanity for the rest of your life.
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                              Michael Marshall isn't really reducible to crime/thriller genre. His books are more of a Stephen King meets Thomas Harris with a big bad conspiracy thrown into the mix to spice things up. He manages to build up sinister conspiracies of Gargantuan proportions on such little routine everyday things it's just plain creepy. I don't want to give away too much of the premise of "The Intruders", but I can promise you it WILL make you doubt your sanity for the rest of your life.
                              Hmmmm... I may just search out some of his books next time I'm at a bookstore.

Speaking of conspiracy theories and books that make you question your sanity, has anyone read "The Traveler" by John Twelve Hawks? There's also a sequel called "The Dark River".

Those books make me stop and question myself every time I use my debit card or walk into a department store. Creepy.
                              sigpic

Comment

I've only read Coraline, but I absolutely LOVE that book. He signed my copy
                                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X