Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne and onto "The City of Mirrors" by Justin Cronin

Comment

I couldn't get into "The City of Mirrors", not sure why as I liked the first 2 in the series. I finished "Life's a Witch" #7 of the Witches of the Midwest. They are quick, fun reads, similar in feel to Stephanie Plum but with the supernatural. I just picked up "Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet by H.P. Wood and Tales of H.P. Lovecraft from the Library. (I was told that I can't consider myself a SciFi fan if I hadn't read any Lovecraft so I thought I'd give it a try)

Comment

If I see "City of Mirrors" at my local library, I'll take a look. But much as I loved "The Passage", I really couldn't get into "The Twelve" - nothing seemed to happen.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Currently reading "Imprudence" by Gail Carriger.

Book two of "The Custard Protocol" series of Steampunk vampire/werewolf/spy adventures set in an alternate 19th century.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Just finished "Cibola Burn" #4 of the Expanse series and onto #5 "Nemesis Games"

Comment

"The Desert and the Blade" by S.M. Stirling.

Book thirteen in the "Emberverse" series of future-fantasy novels.
              sigpic

Comment

"The Change: Tales of Downfall and Rebirth" edited by S.M. Stirling.

An anthology of short stories taking place in Stirling's "Emberverse" setting, with stories by the likes of John Birmingham, Harry Turtledove, Victor Milan, Jody Lynn Nye, and Walter Jon Williams to name just four.
                sigpic

Comment

"Time's Eye" by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

Book one of the "A Time Odyssey" trilogy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Started my 'Lord of the Rings' re-read.
                    sigpic
                    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

"Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company" by Alexander Freed.

It's "Star Wars" does "Band of Brothers" with just a dash of "The Dirty Dozen".
                      sigpic

Comment

Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan, second book in his Norse themed series.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

"The Golem of Hollywood" by Johnathan and Jesse Kellerman.

LAPD detective Jacob Lev wakes one morning, dazed and confused; he picked up a beautiful woman in a bar the night before, but he can't remember anything about the encounter and, before he knows it, she has gone. But this mystery pales in comparison to the one he's about to be called upon to solve.

Newly reassigned to a Special Projects squad he didn't even know existed, he's sent to a grisly murder scene in the Hollywood Hills. There is no corpse,only an unidentified head lying on the floor of an empty house. Burnt into a kitchen counter nearby is a single word: the Hebrew for "justice".

Det. Lev is about to embark upon a harrowing odyssey - through the USA, London, and Prague but, most of all, through himself. All that he has believed to be true will be upended - and not only his world, but the world itself will be changed.
                          sigpic

Comment

"The Golem of Paris" by Johnathan and Jesse Kellerman.

It's been over a year since LAPD Detective Jacob Lev learned the remarkable truth about his family, and he's not coping well. He's back to drinking, he's not talking to his father, the LAPD Special Projects department continues to shadow him, the memory of a woman named Mai haunts him day and night - and his mother remains a stranger to him, imprisoned inside her own tattered mind.

Then he comes across the file on a gruesome unsolved murder that brings the two halves of his life into startling collision. Finding a prolific, vicious killer will take him halfway around the world, to Paris - a city of both romance and of gritty, dark streets. It's a life-threatening search for truth that plunges him into the past.

And for Jacob Lev, there is no place more frightening.
                            sigpic

Comment

"Lethbridge-Stewart: The HAVOC Files 2" edited by Andy Frankham-Allen.

A second anthology of short stories featuring newly promoted Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart from the folks at Candy Jar Books.
                              sigpic

Comment

I just started "The Exiled Seven" by Blake Renworth. It's a retelling of the seven dwarfs, sounded interesting. I saw the author at a local convention, we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X