Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
    I loved those two books, especially "A deepness in the sky".

I don't think a faithful adaption of those books would work on tv, especially "Fire upon the deep". I´ll admit its been a long time since I read it but I seem to remember that the aliens in it were very unusual in how they thought and how their society worked.
    True but a deepness in the sky could work if a chanel is ready to use enough cgi. But i'm sure they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfifrit View Post
      I'm reading Zones of Thought right now, have basically read 1/7 of the 967-pages copy I have (1&2) and am enjoying it! Liking both the way it's written and what it's about. (: If you like hard sci-fi these books really seems to be hitting the right marks imo, though I have heard the third isn't as good as the first two.
      Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
      By Zones of Thought, I assume you mean Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and its prequel A Deepness in the Sky? Have those been reissued in an omnibus volume? I need to re-read them, because it has been since their initial publications, 1992 and '99 respectively. There is also another book in the sequence which I have but haven't read yet, The Children of the Sky, which came out in 2010, then a year later he released a novella, "After the Battle on Starship Hill," which is billed as a prologue to 'Children'.

I re-read the Mars Trilogy a couple of years ago and think it still holds up pretty well. Most of the science was futuristically projected anyway, so it's not like that part of it would be dated now.
      Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
      I loved those two books, especially "A deepness in the sky".

I don't think a faithful adaption of those books would work on tv, especially "Fire upon the deep". I´ll admit its been a long time since I read it but I seem to remember that the aliens in it were very unusual in how they thought and how their society worked.
      Thanks for the responses! I do keep hearing that the world-building and science are very unique, probably something I won't really understand until reading it. I also didn't know about that novella, so I'm glad that was mentioned.

I'm currently in the middle of a slow (but good) non-sci-fi book, but I'd love to pick up a Fire upon the Deep when I finally get the chance. I'll definitely keep the Red Mars trilogy marked on Goodreads.
      rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

So I finished the first part/book (i.e. A Fire Upon the Deep) and it was very consistently good. Great world 'building' especially. And Amdijefri. !! !
        Last edited by Halfifrit; 31 July 2015, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Now reading Star Trek- Voyager: Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer
          sigpic
          Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

"Andromeda's Fall" by William C. Dietz.

Military sci-fi that reads like a cross between "Starship Troopers", "Beau Geste", and the legends of Princess Anastasia Romanov.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Has anyone read the Omega Days series by John Campbell? I saw him at a convention yesterday and picked up the first volume.

Comment

Reading more Voyager relaunch novels, and Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier.
                sigpic

Comment

I've recently been approved to receive advance copies in e-book format from NetGalley. So far only two titles were not approved for various reasons, but I was surprised I got four titles right away. I won't request any more until I've finished them.

The first was uneven, but overall pretty good. It's an anthology in tribute to Grand Master Samuel R. Delany - http://templetongate.net/storiesforchip.htm

This morning I uploaded a negative review - http://templetongate.net/finchesofmars.htm
                  As a long-time fan of Aldiss, I'm as disappointed about this as anyone.

Comment

Currently reading Bitter Greens and The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just finished "Armada" by Ernest Cline (author of "Ready Player One").

Now on to "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence, book one of the Broken Empire sequence.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Currently reading House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

Now onto "King of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence. Book two of the Broken Empire serie.
                          sigpic

Comment

I finished the first in the Omega Days series by John Campbell, it was ok. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the first Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia, this one I really like so far.

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                              I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the first Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia, this one I really like so far.
                              I read that a couple of weeks ago. You probably heard me howling with laughter.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                Now onto "King of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence. Book two of the Broken Empire serie.
                                Oh, I want to read that. What is book one?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X