Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who has grown jaded with YA action/adventure and fantasy series, I loved the Lunar Chronicles. The first is like a futuristic reworking of Cinderella with a much better protagonist. She is a mechanic who isn't hated by her step family for being an orphan but for being part cyborg, and her dream isn't to attend the prince's ball but to escape the country in a precariously patched up old car from our time while having to confront the outbreak of a deadly plague.

This series pretty much restored my hope that fantasy YA novels can still be great.

That said, I'm pretty burned out on them and have slunk back into regular fiction again.
    rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I'm now re-reading Dark Moon Defender by Sharon Shinn. Along with some other books I'm still reading. What is 'regular' fiction?
      sigpic
      Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Yes. :-)
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
          I'm now re-reading Dark Moon Defender by Sharon Shinn. Along with some other books I'm still reading. What is 'regular' fiction?
          Literary fiction as opposed to genre fiction, including sci-fi, I suppose.
          rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
            Literary fiction as opposed to genre fiction, including sci-fi, I suppose.
            I read most historical fiction. As to fantasy books, I accidentally got a copy of Stardust in Spanish from the library.
            sigpic

Comment

I recently read "In Dark Service" by Stephen Hunt, book one of the Far-Called sequence. Very much in the steampunk/gunpowder fantasy genre.

Never tell a Carnehan the odds.

Jacob Carnehan has settled down. He's minding his own business while raising his son Carter and his days of adventure are - thankfully - long behind him.

Carter Carnehan is going out of his mind with boredom. His humdrum life is dull, and he longs to escape. To test himself against the world.

And the world had plans for them both.

Carter's moment will come: kidnapped by slavers he suddenly has all the adventure he ever wanted - and a short, brutal existence and a harsh death await him...

Jacob's past has caught up with him and he will tear down the world to reclaim his son.

Never turn your back on a Carnehan...
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Well it took a while but I've now read all the Game of Thrones books.
                I finished Book 5 Part 2 yesterday. I enjoyed reading this series. But I am waiting patiently for book 6.

I am also collecting the Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection. A collection of all, and I believe it will be, the Judge Dredd stories that have appeared in 2000AD and The Judge Dredd Megazine.
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                  I am also collecting the Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection. A collection of all, and I believe it will be, the Judge Dredd stories that have appeared in 2000AD and The Judge Dredd Megazine.
                  All but four episodes of "The Cursed Earth" storyline, which can never be reprinted anywhere.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    All but four episodes of "The Cursed Earth" storyline, which can never be reprinted anywhere.
                    I have a feeling that they will get over that problem by printing a written synopsis of the episodes along with the reason why they cannot be reprinted.

I have the 'Judge Dredd' comic collection they did back in the 1990's. And that is what they did when they reprinted the 'Cursed Earth' story.

But at the moment the collection is jumping all over the Dredd timeline.
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Finished reading "Dark Intelligence" by Neal Asher. Another very good "Polity" book from him.

Haven't decided what to read next.

Comment

Now reading "Reader and Raelynx" by Sharon Shinn.
                        sigpic

Comment

"Anti-Hero" by Jonathan Wood.

Third in the "Arthur Wallace and MI-37" series of police procedurals/urban fantasy novels.

Kind of like how "Torchwood" could have been, if it'd had a bigger budget and if Russell T. Davis hadn't screwed it up.
                          sigpic

Comment

Today I got a doorstop known as 'A Dance with Dragons' from the library.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just finished "Star Wars: Scoundrels" by Timothy Zahn.

Han, Chewie, and Lando assemble a rag-tag misfit crew of thieves to rob an ultra secure safe belonging to a high ranking member of the Black Sun crime syndicate.

Basically it's Star Wars does Ocean's 11 with just a dash of Mission: Impossible.
                              sigpic

Comment

It's been a few weeks since I posted here. I've read two books over that time, both nominated for Hugo, Nebula & Locus awards this year. I've reviewed Ancillary Sword, but I'm still thinking about The Three Body Problem. I honestly can't say right now if I liked it or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X