Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new here and had been wondering if there was a thread about books. I've been reading voraciously for over fifty years (yeah, I'm old), and almost exclusively SF. I'm semi-retired now and have been reading as much as possible since I had slacked off for years due to a heavy work schedule. I created a site in 2000 where I've been reviewing books, movies, and tv shows, as well as writing profile articles on some of my favorite writers.

Heinlein is my all-time favorite for enjoyable, light reading, but the best I've experienced is Gene Wolfe. The Book of the New Sun and it's other connected series are what I would recommend if you're not afraid of a dense narrative that challenges you with diverse plots and characters. Other favorites are Aldiss, Asimov, Clarke, Ellison, Farmer, Gerrold, Pohl, Silverberg, Spinrad, Varley and Willis.

Three or four years ago I got the idea to review every book that has won a Hugo or Nebula award, so I've been re-reading a lot of older titles, but have also reviewed everything that has won in five of the last six years. Haven't yet read The Graveyard Book by Gaiman or Powers by Ursula Le Guin from 2008/9.

If you have the time, check out http://templetongate.net/

Comment

I like and read all these writers. I also like Ian M. Banks, Greg Bear, S. Baxter, A.Reynolds, Ursula LeGuin, and others!!!!
      I'm also pleasanty surprised from all the writers that won a hugo in the past and i didn't know them! eg. Half Past Humam from T. J. Bass!
      Last edited by pakar; 14 January 2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Just started "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" by J.K. Rowling.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I read and reviewed 22 books last year, which is the most since I started my site. I hope to top that this year and I'm off to a good start. Just this month I have reviewed:

Triton by Samuel R. Delany
          Neuromancer by William Gibson
          The Martian by Andy Weir

Comment

Finished reading "Emperor of Thorns" by Mark Lawrance.

Next up is either "Cibola Burn" by James S.A. Corey or "The Exodus Towers" by Jason M. Hough.

Comment

Currently around three quarters of the way through "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling.

Quick question for those of you out there with the UK edition, with cover art by Chris Cockcroft. On the back cover, is it just me or do the clouds by the tower look like the Starship Enterprise?
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I finished the Across the Universe Trilogy by Beth Revis, pretty good even though a YA series.

Just started The Death of Sleep by Anne McCaffrey and Jody Lynn Nye

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                  I finished the Across the Universe Trilogy by Beth Revis, pretty good even though a YA series.

Just started The Death of Sleep by Anne McCaffrey and Jody Lynn Nye

I read the 'Death of Sleep' a few years ago. I believe it's part of the 'Planet Pirates' trilogy.
                  "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                  Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                  Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                  Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                  I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                  To thy own self... Be true
                  May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

"War Dogs" by Greg Bear.

Hard military sci-fi that reads like a cross between "Full Metal Jacket" and "Starship Troopers".
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                      I read the 'Death of Sleep' a few years ago. I believe it's part of the 'Planet Pirates' trilogy.
                      This was the order I found, hope it's right... Her Pern series is still my favorite... I also enjoyed the Freedom and Crystal Singer series, actually I think I've enjoyed everything I've read from her, she was a treasure...

Dinosaur Planet / Planet Pirates
                      1.Dinosaur Planet
                      2.Dinosaur Planet Survivors (UK: The Survivors)
                      3.The Death of Sleep (JLN)
                      4.Sassinak (EM)
                      5.Generation Warriors (EM

Comment

"Star Wars: A New Dawn" by John Jackson Miller.

A prequel/backstory filler in novel for the new "Star Wars: Rebels" cartoon.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                          This was the order I found, hope it's right... Her Pern series is still my favorite... I also enjoyed the Freedom and Crystal Singer series, actually I think I've enjoyed everything I've read from her, she was a treasure...

Dinosaur Planet / Planet Pirates
                          1.Dinosaur Planet
                          2.Dinosaur Planet Survivors (UK: The Survivors)
                          3.The Death of Sleep (JLN)
                          4.Sassinak (EM)
                          5.Generation Warriors (EM
                          I have all the above books and most of her 'Pern' series.
                          I had the pleasure of meeting Anne McCaffrey the day after my 30th birthday.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                            I have all the above books and most of her 'Pern' series.
                            I had the pleasure of meeting Anne McCaffrey the day after my 30th birthday.
                            Oh!!! So lucky!!!

Comment

Soon I will be getting the latest book in the Old Kingdom series- Clariel by Garth Nix.
                              sigpic
                              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Recently finished:
                                The Death of Sleep by Anne McCaffrey
                                The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau (another dystopian trilogy)
                                The Golden Son by Pierce Brown

I had someone suggest reading something by Terry Goodkind .... thoughts?
                                Last edited by rkgardner2003; 23 February 2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X