Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds. Very enjoyable so far; the plot moves along nicely and although some of the heroes aren't entirely likeable, they do seem realistic and rounded.
    Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Lazarus Rising book IX in the Starfist Series.

A little political. But an enjoyable read.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Dude (SF), have you got onto those books I told you about yet?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Any of you guys read any of the "Destroyermen" series by Taylor Anderson?

They seem like the kind of thing I'd enjoy - military Sci-Fi, alternate history, parallel worlds etc.

Just wondered if anyone could recommend them?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

*does research*
            Hmm, no, I cannot recommend them Brutak, but I can say they do sound interesting and will have to go a hunting for them now.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Dude (SF), have you got onto those books I told you about yet?
              Not yet GF. Things have got a little crazy for me in RL at the moment. So I'm re-reading books I've previously read.
              Bearing in mind I am also reading The Game of Thrones books as well.

Comment

Finished reading:

Book 3 of "The Long price" by Daniel Abrahams.
                "The Dunwich horror" by H.P. Lovecraft
                "Jennifer Morgue" by Charles Stross.

Next up is book 4 of "The Long price".

Comment

Over the last 2 months I've done a decent bit of reading...for me at least...

I'll place them in the order from the book I liked the most to the least. I really liked Ender's Game a lot, Foundation and Ringworld were both very good. Hitchhiker's wasn't for me and Stranger in a Strange Land was barely enjoyable at all, but I guess a classic none the less.

Ender's Game
                  Foundation
                  Ringworld
                  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
                  Stranger in a Strange Land
                  sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "Words of Radiance" by Brandon Sanderson. This is the second book in his "Stormlight archives" series and I have to say that this is imo the best fantasy series currently being written. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that there is to long a wait between books though thankfully not anything like what R.R. Martin does

Comment

I am currently reading book 3 volume 1 of The Game of Thrones series.
                      I also have 'Divergent' in my to be read pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                        I also have 'Divergent' in my to be read pile.
                        I've heard it's probably best to read the book before watching the series. What do you think?

Also reading James Corey's Leviathan Wakes series. On the second book, Calibans War. Quite good, so far.

Comment

The fact that the Film of 'Divergent' is coming out soon is one of the reasons I bought the book. I've not started reading it yet.

But I read The Hunger Games books before seeing the movie. And I enjoyed the movies more because I had read the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                            The fact that the Film of 'Divergent' is coming out soon is one of the reasons I bought the book. I've not started reading it yet.

But I read The Hunger Games books before seeing the movie. And I enjoyed the movies more because I had read the books.
                            Divergent was a fun read.
                            sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read the Codex Alera series? I was thinking of trying it again.
                              sigpic
                              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                                Has anyone read the Codex Alera series? I was thinking of trying it again.
                                I barely made it through the first book.

Much as I love Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files", it just didn't grab me in the same way.
                                sigpic
                                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X