Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
    Oh, I love Coraline too. It's actually one of my favorite books although I read it when I was about 14 or 15 and it's written kind of for younger kids. I actually got my copy signed by Neil Gaiman himself! And he drew a cartoon of a mouse (or rat...I'm not sure which) in it too I can't wait for the movie...it's being directed by Henry Selick, who directed Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, so it's bound to be good!
    Ooooh nice! *turns green around the edges at the mention of an autographed copy and meeting the author himself* I first read it at 18, you're never too old for anything written by Neil Gaiman! (I love the adult cover for that book too)

Comment

Neil Gaiman's awesome
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Oh man! I am really bummed! I was googling one of my favorite books (trying to find a way to contact the author), Mirabile by Janet Kagan. And she passed away on February 29th this year. She's only written three books (one of which is a Star Trek novel: Uhura's Song) and I was SO hoping she'd write some more. This is so sad....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
          Oh man! I am really bummed! I was googling one of my favorite books (trying to find a way to contact the author), Mirabile by Janet Kagan. And she passed away on February 29th this year. She's only written three books (one of which is a Star Trek novel: Uhura's Song) and I was SO hoping she'd write some more. This is so sad....
          Ouch, it's always sad to find that a favourite author has died. You get used to reading books by someone and then when they're gone and there are no more it is in a way like losing someone you knew.

Comment

I know. I felt the same way when Madeleine L'Engle died last year. I was terribly shocked...I had no idea she had gone until someone told me online. I love her books.
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I know what you mean--A Wrinkle in Time is my favorite book of all time. I'm bummed that we won't read any more about those characters--I felt there was so much more to their adventures that we never heard beyond the few books she wrote about them....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                I know. I felt the same way when Madeleine L'Engle died last year. I was terribly shocked...I had no idea she had gone until someone told me online. I love her books.
                What! This is the first I'd heard that she died. I just happen to have a copy of "A Wrinkle in Time" beside me.....

I wish there'd be a good big screen version of that book.....there was a TV movie six or seven years ago but I seem to recall it not being particularly great and the CGI pretty weak- CGI quality usually isn't my main concern, but it was weak in a distracting way.....If I'm remembering the right movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  What! This is the first I'd heard that she died. I just happen to have a copy of "A Wrinkle in Time" beside me.....

I wish there'd be a good big screen version of that book.....there was a TV movie six or seven years ago but I seem to recall it not being particularly great and the CGI pretty weak- CGI quality usually isn't my main concern, but it was weak in a distracting way.....If I'm remembering the right movie.
                  Yes, you're remembering the right movie. It wasn't completely horrible, but you're right--the CGI was distracting. I suppose, to be fair, that it would be a bit difficult to translate into film. I remember hearing that the movie had been made, but it seemed to take forever to finally be aired. Hmm--it looks like it was filmed in Richmond, BC.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                    I know what you mean--A Wrinkle in Time is my favorite book of all time. I'm bummed that we won't read any more about those characters--I felt there was so much more to their adventures that we never heard beyond the few books she wrote about them....
                    Well...there's always fanfiction And I hope fanfiction.net gets down to actually creating a L'Engle category because there is NONE !!

I really wish it was a theatrical movie too. I've only seen one tiny bit of the tv movie, but that was before I'd read it, so I can't really judge it too much. It was the scene w/ Charles Wallace being controlled by that...force thingy that was covering the whole earth/universe, and Meg had to save him. And I'd want a whole movie series, to fit with the rest of the series, which I still have yet to read

Heck, I should just go ahead and direct them so the Hollywoodites won't ruin the storylines
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

For anyone out there thats into mythology: Percy Jackson and the Olympians is amazing!!

I can't really wright a good synopis of the book because I don't think anything i can right will do the books justice, but they're all really good and they come highly recommended.

Comment

Has anyone read The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis? I started the first book, Out of the Silent Planet, but I never finished b/c I had to return it to the library
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I liked the first one, loved the second one (Perelandra), and didn't like the third one so much (That Hideous Strength). It took me a little bit of effort to get into them--my only previous exposure to C.S. Lewis was Narnia and I had to let that go because it is totally different. After I got used to the style of the Space Trilogy, it was easier to read.

Comment

Yeah, I started reading the first one, and I was like, "Whoa...this is weird..." since I was also just used to Narnia. But I think I'll have a go at them again
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

alaistair reynolds - puching ice is brilliant, a good prediction of what could happen if we observe evidence of alien activity in our local space in the near futue (2057)
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is quite possibly the second best thing I have ever read.....people should read it. Really.

Currently reading "Dreamsongs Vol I" by George R.R. Martin.

Comment

Working...
                                X