Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
    I just bought "Ghost story" by Jim Butcher but I´m not sure if it's ok to read it before reading "Side jobs" which is a collection of short stories that came out before "Ghost story". Are there any spoilers about Side jobs in Ghost story? Also, is Side jobs worth reading? I´m usually not a fan of short stories and tend to avoid them.
    The stories in "Side Jobs" all take place before the events of "Ghost Story".
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      The stories in "Side Jobs" all take place before the events of "Ghost Story".
      Ok, but are there any references to them in Ghost story, things that you'd have to have read the short stories in order to understand and enjoy? The Dresden Files are big on referring to earlier events and should be read in order, I'm just not sure if these short stories are like that or if they can be read later without having them be spoiled (I don't own Side Jobs, the book store didn't have it in paperback form like the other books in the series so I decided to wait before buying it).

Comment

Just picked up Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings.
        sigpic
        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Ok, but are there any references to them in Ghost story, things that you'd have to have read the short stories in order to understand and enjoy? The Dresden Files are big on referring to earlier events and should be read in order, I'm just not sure if these short stories are like that or if they can be read later without having them be spoiled (I don't own Side Jobs, the book store didn't have it in paperback form like the other books in the series so I decided to wait before buying it).
          I don't think so, but it's been a while since I read "Side Jobs". The stories were originally published in general Urban Fantasy anthologies, so you don't have to read them to enjoy the rest of The Dresden Files.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Ok, thanks I guess that means that "Ghost Story" just moved to the top of my to read list.

Comment

I'm staying in the 'Battletech' universe for a while.

And I am now reading 'Warrior : En Garde' the first book in the Warrior Trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole.
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

just finished the Lost Fleet: Guardian.

Comment

Finished reading "The Judging eye" by R. Scott Bakker. Good book and a solid start to the follow up to "Prince of nothing" trilogy.

Decided that I would read "Side Jobs" before reading "Ghost story" but the book wont arrive for another week or so (free shipping may be free but it isn't fast). Next up is therefore "War maiden's choice" by David Weber. I really liked the other books in this series by Weber, it was refreshing reading pure fantasy novels from him after all the sci-fi books

Comment

I'm now reading "The Wyrmling Horde" by David Farland. Book 7 in the increasingly odd (and not in a good way) Runelords series.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ancient Shores by Jack Mc Devitt.
                      I loved it
                      no means no, and so does pepper spray
                      Sig by The Carpenter
                      sigpic

Comment

Next up:...

Warrior: Riposte Book two of the Warrior Trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole.

I have to admit he is one of my favourite Battletech authors.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Finished by Belgariad series re-read. Now reading the Twelve Houses series again.

Anything similar to those books in trilogies that I should read? I am likely going to be doing lots of Summer beach reading. (I'm already going to read the Malloreon series.)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                            Finished by Belgariad series re-read. Now reading the Twelve Houses series again.

Anything similar to those books in trilogies that I should read? I am likely going to be doing lots of Summer beach reading. (I'm already going to read the Malloreon series.)
                            Have you read Raymond E. Feists "Riftwar war" series?

Comment

Have you read Raymond E. Feists "Riftwar war" series?
                              No, but I've wanted to read his books for a long time. Is that a stand alone series, or part of some bigger series?
                              Last edited by Morgania; 29 May 2013, 03:50 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

The Rift war books can be read as a stand alone series though I would recommend also reading the follow up series "The serpentwar saga" which is great. There is also a stand alone book set between the two series that is very good called "The King's Buccaneer".

After that the books in this world lose some of their glamour imo, though I´m still reading the books and have only one or two more to go before the last (or the one Feist is calling the last one now )

Comment

Working...
                                X