Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just counted my sci-fi and fantasy books and it came to 751 (might be a few that are on lone that I've forgotten about ).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
      Just counted my sci-fi and fantasy books and it came to 751 (might be a few that are on lone that I've forgotten about ).
      You are a dedicated one.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        It is good. My sister, who is a teacher, may have something to do with it.
        But they all enjoy reading. I'll get them reading some of the 'classics' when they're a little older.
        The "classics" are probably the number one reason why kids today never pick up another novel again after HS and college. lol.

Comment

I have a section on one of the book shelves for classics. Which was well after high school. And the fantasy books are on the shelf above (there are more of them, of course).

I've pretty much carried a book with me since I could read. We used to go to a lot of laundromats, and the only way to get me to sit still was to give me a book. Then I started wandering off to the library when I was old enough.
          sigpic
          Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Are we counting non fiction (TV show/movie "companion" books) and graphic novels?
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

TV show/movie "companion" books?

All I can say is that there are no graphic novels in my count and that all the books are sci-fi/fantasy fiction.

You could always give the numbers for with and without graphic novels

Comment

At a rough approximation I'd say about 1,500 fiction books, more than half of those sci-fi and fantasy...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                  The "classics" are probably the number one reason why kids today never pick up another novel again after HS and college. lol.
                  I would say most of them don't read at home in the first place. There are some really good classics out there.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  Are we counting non fiction (TV show/movie "companion" books) and graphic novels?
                  I would say book counts.

I have a small library.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                    I would say most of them don't read at home in the first place. There are some really good classics out there.

I would say book counts.

I have a small library.
                    I agree about the reading at home thing. There's not a minimum age to start on loving stories. And also on the classics front - I'm an ex-English major and I can still love a classic, though it took me a few years to get over the mangling literary criticism performed on my brain.
                    Morally Ambiguous Genius Non-Scientist.

ETG is also rambling inanely on DeviantArt | FFNet | Tumblr | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by EasyThereGenius View Post
                      I agree about the reading at home thing. There's not a minimum age to start on loving stories. And also on the classics front - I'm an ex-English major and I can still love a classic, though it took me a few years to get over the mangling literary criticism performed on my brain.
                      I think most people come home and turn on the telly to relax instead of reading.

I was Anthro, still not over Sex Life of Savages by Malinowski.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm from the West of Scotland, and in the places I've worked in the past, if you don't read a newspaper starting with the sport section, you're considered a bit of a weirdo.

If you actually sit and read a book, for pleasure, during your breaks, then you're viewed as a dangerous intellectual.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          I think most people come home and turn on the telly to relax instead of reading.

I was Anthro, still not over Sex Life of Savages by Malinowski.
                          Speak the name James Joyce and I have a lingering nervous tic.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          I'm from the West of Scotland, and in the places I've worked in the past, if you don't read a newspaper starting with the sport section, you're considered a bit of a weirdo.

If you actually sit and read a book, for pleasure, during your breaks, then you're viewed as a dangerous intellectual.
                          Ouch. But not a bad label!
                          I couldn't go a day without reading some form of book. Dangerous intellectualism evidently beckons me as well. Jolly good!
                          Morally Ambiguous Genius Non-Scientist.

ETG is also rambling inanely on DeviantArt | FFNet | Tumblr | Twitter

Comment

I've never read the sports section of any newspaper. But I might like Scottish sports better.

Now I've decided to read The Hobbit again, for the first time since the movie.
                            sigpic
                            Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

I am about to start reading... McCade's Bounty.
                              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                              To thy own self... Be true
                              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                                I've never read the sports section of any newspaper. But I might like Scottish sports better.
                                The only "Scottish" sport I can think of offhand, is Shinty. Which is kind of similar to field hockey, but played (for the most part) by big hairy blokes who look like rugby players.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X