Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    I've heard of those - keep meaning to borrow a copy - I love the cover art on "Firebirds Rising."
    The cover art is the whole reason I even picked up the book. There's just something about it that made me think it was gonna be a good read and it WAS!

Has any one here ever read or heard of the book The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan? I was looking for something to read the other day and the lady behind the counter said it was really good, any one else have an opinion?

Comment

Currently reading the five book trilogy that is "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Bought the ultimate version based solely on how much I liked the movie. I love how much of the book is word for word said in the movie. Currently on "Restaraunt at the end of the universe".

Finished "I Am Legend" and started "I, Robot" but have not finished it.

Read "Ender's Game", "Speaker" and "Xenocide". Loved them. Just bought "Children of the Mind" and "Ender's Shadow" but have not read them yet.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDgamer View Post
        Currently reading the five book trilogy that is "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Bought the ultimate version based solely on how much I liked the movie. I love how much of the book is word for word said in the movie. Currently on "Restaraunt at the end of the universe".

Read "Ender's Game", "Speaker" and "Xenocide". Loved them. Just bought "Children of the Mind" and "Ender's Shadow" but have not read them yet.
        the i am legend book is so much better than the film no?
        i plan to read the hitchhikers guide soon too

im reading a book called "lord of light" at the moment, it's rather weird, about a planet where the society have an evolution of hindu/buddhist belief and it's taken very seriously, and reincarnation is carried out via technology and stuff, (you choose to reincarnate and they mindprobe you to calculate your karma and choose what you become in your next life)
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Good books! Hitchhiker's Guide is my favourite- I have the four-books-in-one version and then had to buy a whole new box set because I was missing "Mostly Harmless". And considering that it's under "A" it also works as a very excellent book end.

"I Am Legend" is on my reading list, haven't seen the movie. "I, Robot" is excellent- and I really liked the movie.

And of course "Ender's Game" is awesome, possibly the best book to introduce a person to science fiction with.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
            the i am legend book is so much better than the film no?
            See, I am not sure that I would say it is "So much better". Both the book and the movie were extraordinarily awesome. They were just very different. If they had stuck more closely to the book, the movie would have been a lot scarier and perhaps "So much better" but I cannot make that call. They were both 10/10 in my book.

Good books! Hitchhiker's Guide is my favourite- I have the four-books-in-one version and then had to buy a whole new box set because I was missing "Mostly Harmless". And considering that it's under "A" it also works as a very excellent book end.
            Yeah, I bought the "Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Five Complete Novels and One Short Story". It includes a story called "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe". It actually looks like a Bible. Leather cover, different type of paper, gold edged paper. Really cool.

"I Am Legend" is on my reading list, haven't seen the movie. "I, Robot" is excellent- and I really liked the movie.
            Yeah, I like "I, Robot" the movie, but the book is just taking too long to develop, so I put it down for a bit.

And of course "Ender's Game" is awesome, possibly the best book to introduce a person to science fiction with.

That is where I got my start, unless you count the Star Wars book I read in 5th grade. I think it was "Crystal Planet" or "Planet of Twilight" I can never remember.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I bought the "Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Five Complete Novels and One Short Story". It includes a story called "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe". It actually looks like a Bible. Leather cover, different type of paper, gold edged paper. Really cool.
              I haven't heard of this edition! Sounds real pretty. Except for the leather part, poor cow.

But my box set will have to do for now, no need to invest in yet another copy of the series when there are so many other wonderful books to buy.

I'm currently half way through "A Feast For Crows" which is absolutely awesome and I'm going to be so upset when I finish knowing that it'll be ages before the next one comes out. In many ways I wish I'd waited another.....decade.....to start reading this series. The wait between these books has got to be brutal.

Comment

I haven't heard of this edition! Sounds real pretty. Except for the leather part, poor cow.
                It Is
                sigpic

Comment

Shiny.

Comment

Shiny.
                    Indeed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                      I'm really enjoying the Soldier Son fantasy trilogy by Robin Hobb. I started with Shaman's Crossing and recently finished Forest Mage.

Has anyone else read anything by Robin Hobb? I heard that her other trilogies are even better and I wasn't sure where to start.
                      I've read her other books. I resisted reading them for quite a while (assassins not being my favorite protagonists), but once I started, I couldn't stop. There's the Farseer trilogy, the Liveship Traders trilogy, and the Tawny Man trilogy. I'd say the Liveship Traders trilogy is my favorite, with the Tawny Man coming in a close second. Start at the beginning, though--the later books build on the earlier ones....

Yeah, I like "I, Robot" the movie, but the book is just taking too long to develop, so I put it down for a bit.
                      Are you reading a movie novelization or the original book of short stories?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                        Are you reading a movie novelization or the original book of short stories?
                        The latter
                        sigpic

Comment

The latter

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by taking too long to develop. The book collects a series of short stories that cover different aspects or narratives of robots (and their interaction with humans and each other). There's not really a through storyline and the book has very little to do with the movie.

I liked the movie, loved the book--but it's confusing that both have the same title when they have totally different plots and stories.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I'm currently reading/reviewing "Warbreaker," by Brandon Sanderson, if in fact, you can call it that. Truth be told, it's an e-book of sorts. Basically, Sanderson posts the rough drafts of this book as he writes it, leading up to the actual release sometime in 2009. I find it extremely interesting in the sense that (as Sanderson establishes) you can follow the editing and progress, which is great for those seeking to be novelists, much like myself. Also it provides a free introduction to his work. If anyone is interested, you can find it on his official website: brandonsanderson.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                              I'm currently reading/reviewing "Warbreaker," by Brandon Sanderson, if in fact, you can call it that. Truth be told, it's an e-book of sorts. Basically, Sanderson posts the rough drafts of this book as he writes it, leading up to the actual release sometime in 2009. I find it extremely interesting in the sense that (as Sanderson establishes) you can follow the editing and progress, which is great for those seeking to be novelists, much like myself. Also it provides a free introduction to his work. If anyone is interested, you can find it on his official website: brandonsanderson.com.
                              Wow that sounds really interesting! I'll definitely check that out!

Not really sci-fi/fantasy, but I'm currently reading "Catch Me If You Can", which is extremely entertaining and a very quick read. And also a YA fantasy called "The Alchemist", AND still "A Feast For Crows". I read a lot all at once.

Comment

You're not alone!

Right now im alternating my time between, Firebirds Rising, Pretties, and The Subtle Knife, all of which I am enjoying.

P.S.
                                Whats The Alchemist about? The title sounds vaguely familiar but I can't think of where I've heard it before.

Comment

Working...
                                X