Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's a comic book but can someone say how Y The Last Man is ? I'm thinking of trying this series out, is it an ongoing series or is it finished ?
    sigpic

Comment

Starfarers by Poul Anderson
      no means no, and so does pepper spray
      Sig by The Carpenter
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
        Finished reading "Sacred Band" by David Anthony Durham which is the third book in his "Acacia" trilogy. The trilogy was good and over all a solid fantasy series. I thought the ending could have had a longer epilogue but maybe he's planning on writing more in this world and didn't want to tie his hands to much.

Not sure what to read next. The contenders are:

"The player of games" by Iain M. Banks
        "Stark's war" by Jack Campbell
        "A dance with Dragons" by George R.R. Martin
        "Among thieves" by Douglas Hulick

There are about 8 other books I could also choose from but those four seem to be standing out right now.
        Banks. Hands-down.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

For a bit of fun you you could try out either the Percy Jackson or the Kane Chronicles, both series by Rick Riordan.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Just finished latest Lost Fleet book by Jack Campbell.

Comment

I just finished Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card - the last book in the Ender Quartet. That was a spectacular series. Now I'm reading Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clark. So far, so good!
              sigpic
              Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
                I just finished Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card - the last book in the Ender Quartet. That was a spectacular series. Now I'm reading Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clark. So far, so good!
                "Rendevous with Rama" is a fantastic book. Shame that "Rama II" was such a crappy sequel.

Comment

^^ That book was crazy boring. How can the sequel be worse?!

Comment

The sequal was so focused on petty internal struggles of the crew that the book seemed to ignore all the wonderful speculations that the first one had. Maybe things got better later in th e book but Rama II is one of the few books that I've started to read but didn't finish.

Comment

Finished Rama and loved it. It was so incredibly well-written, even if my brain still hurts from trying to picture what Rama looked like....
                      It was almost good enough to make me want to read Rama II in spite of everyone's warnings. We'll see.

Now, I've started Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. Per Card's usual, it's an excellent book.
                      sigpic
                      Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

You can always give it a try, individual tastes do vary. Just keep in mind that the sequel puts way more attention on petty character interactions and much less on the mystery of the spaceship (at least as far as I got into the book).

Comment

I'm waiting for the next Honor Harrington book.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                            I'm waiting for the next Honor Harrington book.
                            Me, too!!!
                            sigpic
                            Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

The Gates by John Connolly.
                              sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "Stark's War" by Jack Campbell or John G. Hemry (his real name). Over all this book just managed to be ok and really isn't as good as his Lost fleet series.

Haven't decided what to read next, will probably pick a fantasy novel as I like to alternate between sci-fi and fantasy novels.

Comment

Working...
                                X