Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its kind of why I tend to lean towards books that are based off tv's or movies. At least with those you have a pretty good idea of what kind of story your getting,not taking into account the different writing styles.

Am trying to collect the few B5 novels I am missing write now,and will start looking into the various StarGate books.

I just hate it when I go walking thru the Book stores and you see all the books but just can't decide whichone to try.

[img][/img]
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

I stopped reading franchise based books a while ago. Found them to be for the most part uninspired and a bit like paint by the numbers.

A good way to find books is to use Amazon.com. Give a lot of books ratings and the recommendations can become fairly good (though not perfect). I've found a lot of new authors this way.

Comment

I have to admit, I read a lot of military based SF.
        Battletech, StarFist, and the Honor Harrington books for example.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
          Its kind of why I tend to lean towards books that are based off tv's or movies. At least with those you have a pretty good idea of what kind of story your getting,not taking into account the different writing styles.

Am trying to collect the few B5 novels I am missing write now,and will start looking into the various StarGate books.

I just hate it when I go walking thru the Book stores and you see all the books but just can't decide whichone to try.

[img][/img]
          Go to goodreads.com. Virtually every book you can think of is rated and reviewed there by anyone who joins that site, which is a gazillion. You'll get a good feel for what's good and not so good out there. There's no point in only selecting a narrow field of books based only on a television show. When I first started reading, I had this precise problem. I didn't discover goodreads until a year and half later. It's helped weed out alot of the junk. I can usually tell whether I'll like a book after about two dozen pages anyway, but it's nice to read reviews. I typically only read the negative ones. When a few people say something is boring it usually is.

Comment

Hi all,
            I'm now reading StarFist Book XII : Firestorm.

Comment

I got a Kindle for Christmas!

I've decided to revisit my teenage years, and am doing a complete chronological re-read of the adult Star Wars novels! I kind of lost interest in reading all the books around the time of The Phantom Menace/New Jedi Order, so there is a lot of new stuff out there for me. I've begun with the Rise of the Empire era, starting with 'Cloak of Deception', 'Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter', and am now on the Phantom Menace novelisation.

Other than that, I have quite a bit of novels lined up to read:
              'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss
              'Before they are Hanged' by Joe Abercrombie
              'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch
              'The Desert Spear' by Peter V. Brett
              'Leviathan Wakes' by James S.A. Corey
              'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card
              All of Robin Hobb's books (!)

Any recommendations on which to prioritise?
              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post

All of these are great imo. I'd start with series that are finished so that the wait for the sequels won't be as long

Going by which of these I think is the best book I'd have to say "The name of the Wind", followed by "Before they are hanged".

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going with 'Name of the Wind' next, it is beckoning me with it's mysterious cover art!
                  Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                    I got a Kindle for Christmas!

I've decided to revisit my teenage years, and am doing a complete chronological re-read of the adult Star Wars novels! I kind of lost interest in reading all the books around the time of The Phantom Menace/New Jedi Order, so there is a lot of new stuff out there for me. I've begun with the Rise of the Empire era, starting with 'Cloak of Deception', 'Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter', and am now on the Phantom Menace novelisation.

'Leviathan Wakes' by James S.A. Corey

I was on one fantasy forum where everyone there was raving about Leviathan Wakes. I can't stop shaking my head at that one. I read over 70 pages of the book and it's simply boring. Alot of things are going on, but the author doesn't appear to know how to pace his story, so everything feels infinitely slow. Moreover, the characters are garbage.

Comment

Finished reading "The Warrior-prophet" by R. Scott Bakker. This is the second book in the "Prince of nothing" series and it was very good, the pacing was much better than in the first book.

Next up is the third book in the series "The thousandfold thought".

Comment

It has been a while.
                        But I am about to start to read 'The Amtark Wars' series by Patrick Tilley again.
                        Starting with 'Cloud Warrior'.

Comment

I confess, I've mostly been reading fashion books for the past few months but the one fantasy book I have been reading is Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan. And since my LOTR obsession has re-emerged, I shall be reading several Tolkien books in the upcoming future.
                          Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                          Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by Zed_PM View Post

I'm getting through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Words alone cannot describe how much I love his writing. I want to get in on the Sandman comics too but all I can find is the full 1st or 2nd series for $100.
                            You should check out your local library. Mine has the entire Sandman series.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit. I loved that book when I was little. I found it while going through some old books that I had in the garage, and felt like reading it again.
                              sigpic

Comment

The Amtak Wars Book 4 : Blood River.
                                I will be reading the 'Lost Fleet' series shortly.

Comment

Working...
                                X