Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
    Oh definitely
    I knew it.
    sigpic

Comment

Has anyone here read The Hunger Games trilogy? I'm considering checking it out since everybody I know who's read it seems to think it's really good.
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Battle Royale was much better, but Hungers Game is good in it's own right.

Comment

I've only read the first one. I have to get around to the others. I'd feel horrible if I just waited for the movies came out. I always hated it when I wanted to talk Harry Potter books with my friends and some of them were like "Oh I haven't read it-- might as well wait for the movie to come out"...

Sad state of our culture, huh? Where literature is experienced through visual media interpretation rather than in it's original form?

Sorry kinda went off topic there. The first one was decent. Worth a second read, at least

Comment

Read the Riftwar saga by Robert E Fiest.
            http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...m/Earth001.jpg

Comment

Well, this is kind of sort of a given, since I'm a writer and was born in the early '90's, but...
              ...my favourite book series of pretty much all time is Harry Potter.

I love it. It's a fantasy but it's so much more than just that! And I will fully confess that I've gotten a number of the books on their premiere nights, went to the last film at midnight, and re-read the whole series after watching said film. I just love it. J.K. Rowling's masterpiece is my escape from the problems and stress of every day life and it is so easy to get lost in her writing. I cried when I flipped over the last page of the epilogue of Deathly Hallows because I knew it was over for good. But it was a great run while it lasted and I'm loving reading all this new background information over at Pottermore.com.

To me, Harry Potter was always that series that seemed to appeal to just about everyone. It takes a truly talented author to be able to do that. Even Stephen King, as much as I love his writing, doesn't have that sort of universal appeal. Certainly Stephanie Meyer doesn't either, and they're both in that same genre often times.

So, yeah, there's my gush about JKR.

But, um, like I said, I really enjoy sci-fi and fantasy. My other favourite authors for that genre aside from Rowling and King are Peter David and Diane Duane. I've loved Duane since I was a little girl and just about died of happiness when I discovered the Star Trek books she wrote! David's a really talented writer, too. Always adds a little flair of romance to his books. I like it.

And of course, King is King. The Dark Tower Series was just awesome, as were most of his books!

Comment

At some point I will finish 'Game of Thrones'
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                  At some point I will finish 'Game of Thrones'
                  Okay, question:
                  I keep hearing about this "Game of Thrones" everywhere. Can someone just quick tell me who wrote it, what the premise is, and why it's become so incredibly popular?

Comment

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
                    Okay, question:
                    I keep hearing about this "Game of Thrones" everywhere. Can someone just quick tell me who wrote it, what the premise is, and why it's become so incredibly popular?
                    George R. R. Martin wrote it. Its actually a whole series of books. GOT being the first book i believe. It was already a popular book/series but has gained an even bigger following or become far more widely known now due to its recent adaption into a TV series (an excellent TV series) by HBO. I recomend it. There is also a GOT folder here on GW where you can learn more about both the show and books.
                    Im sure someone more informed than me can fill you in on the premise of the whole series.
                    sigpic

Comment

Aah, see, no HBO here in the dorm. Darnit. Must look online.
                      Okay, yeah, I'll check out the series. I love George R.R. Martin. I have a few of his books and they're really good. Surprised I didn't catch onto this series! Thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                        Has anyone here read The Hunger Games trilogy? I'm considering checking it out since everybody I know who's read it seems to think it's really good.
                        I read The Hunger Games and enjoyed it for what it was--written for middle school aged children. My young one has the next book and will let me know how it is, and then I'll read it.

Still need to get the third Thursday Next book on my kindle! Just bought the latest Fate of the Jedi book, but I don't have time to read since school started.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Finished reading "Watcher of the Dead" by J.V. Jones. It was another good, solid entry into the series though I think it's about time she finishes the story.

Haven't decided what to read next. It should be "The Return of the Crimson Guard" by Ian Esslemont but I might start with "The Chronicles of the Black Company" by Glen Cook instead.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                            I've only read the first one. I have to get around to the others. I'd feel horrible if I just waited for the movies came out. I always hated it when I wanted to talk Harry Potter books with my friends and some of them were like "Oh I haven't read it-- might as well wait for the movie to come out"...

Sad state of our culture, huh? Where literature is experienced through visual media interpretation rather than in it's original form?

Sorry kinda went off topic there. The first one was decent. Worth a second read, at least
                            Well when teachers force you to read books like 1984, Great Gatsby, and catcher in the rye I don't see how the average kid would even watch to touch a book on their own much less read one.

Originally posted by Earth001 View Post
                            Read the Riftwar saga by Robert E Fiest.
                            Raymond E. Feist

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
                            Aah, see, no HBO here in the dorm. Darnit. Must look online.
                            Okay, yeah, I'll check out the series. I love George R.R. Martin. I have a few of his books and they're really good. Surprised I didn't catch onto this series! Thanks though!
                            If you love George Martin then how can you not know his most popular work? In any case I think you can just watch the show and you'll be fine. It's about 90% accurate or better, and you don't have to slog through pointless characters and subplots.

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                            Finished reading "Watcher of the Dead" by J.V. Jones. It was another good, solid entry into the series though I think it's about time she finishes the story.

Haven't decided what to read next. It should be "The Return of the Crimson Guard" by Ian Esslemont but I might start with "The Chronicles of the Black Company" by Glen Cook instead.
                            Black company = yawn

Read David Gemmell's Troy series if you're not looking to fall asleep while you're reading.

Comment

I've already read his Troy series plus pretty much everything else Gemmell ever wrote

Comment

I am now in between books. *looks at books stacks*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X