Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldnt put Enders Game down, iv ordered the rest of the series, just waiting for it to arrive.
    sigpic
    I am a geek and proud.

Comment

I just finished "The Lies of Locke Lamora", which follows the misadventures of a group of young thieves. Great novel, think a mix of China Mieville's detailed, dirty cities and George R.R. Martin's (who recommends it on the cover) witty dialog and fast-paced action scenes. Easily the best fantasy novel I've read since GRRM's Song of Fire and Ice series.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
        I just finished "The Lies of Locke Lamora", which follows the misadventures of a group of young thieves. Great novel, think a mix of China Mieville's detailed, dirty cities and George R.R. Martin's (who recommends it on the cover) witty dialog and fast-paced action scenes. Easily the best fantasy novel I've read since GRRM's Song of Fire and Ice series.
        GRRM seems to recommend everything.

i just finished Walter Jon Williams Conventions of War (a really good finish to the Dread Empire's fall Trilogy)
        and i just started I Am Legend today.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

I'm halfway through James Patterson's "Maximum Ride" series part 3 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
            I am definitely going to read this then.

Comment

There are just too many books out there

Started on Sara Douglas's Troy Game series. I'm only part way through the first book.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                GRRM seems to recommend everything.

i just finished Walter Jon Williams Conventions of War (a really good finish to the Dread Empire's fall Trilogy)
                and i just started I Am Legend today.
                I very much enjoyed his Star Wars novel, Destiny's Way. He wrote a fantastic space battle as well as a good chunk of closure for several key characters in the NJO series at the time. Had there not been a further 5 books in the series I think his hardback effort would have stuck out more as a critical entry to the story.

On a similar topic the previous hardcover in that series, Star by Star (Troy Denning), may be my favourite of all Star Wars novels. It had a bit of everything and it was the first story that really opened up the Star Wars EU to a more dangerous and exciting future.

Comment

I am mostly into Star Trek Novels, though I do read a lot of other stuff.
                  I have Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales and The Children of Hurin

2001: A Space Oddysey
                  Children of Dune
                  The First 2 Novels of The Wheel of Time.
                  Some Doctor Who Novels
                  4 Narnia Novels
                  Red Mars
                  The Neverending Story

Comment

Originally posted by Brenorenz View Post
                    I am mostly into Star Trek Novels, though I do read a lot of other stuff.
                    I have Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales and The Children of Hurin

2001: A Space Oddysey
                    Children of Dune
                    The First 2 Novels of The Wheel of Time.
                    Some Doctor Who Novels
                    4 Narnia Novels
                    Red Mars
                    The Neverending Story
                    my friend is reading 3001: the final odyssey atm, he says the whole series is good,
                    i started reading the dune seires and loved dune but dune messiah and children started to bore me. i like the universe, but i don't like herberts writing style

and you have red mars but why don't you have blue and green?
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

Dune Messiah was actual one of my favorite books in the series. *dodges flying rocks* While it was a bit boring in the beginning I think the ending pretty much made it for me. Same with Children of Dune, the beginning was a bit of a bore but halfway through the book it gets much more interesting (and really really good near the end). Right now I'm reading God Emperor of Dune which really isn't as bad as most people keep saying.
                      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

I am a complete Narnia fanatic

Yeah, you can tell by the sig.
                        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I'm simply amazed I haven't gotten around to making a post in this thread, yet. It's almost criminal.

I think my personal favorites include these:

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
                          Elantris/Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson (Oddly enough, he's the man who will finish The Wheel of Time).
                          Shannara - Terry Brooks

I will also admit a certain fondness for *cough* the Artemis Fowl series. *cough*

If I actually had my book collection here with me at college, I'm sure I could add a few more titles to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                            I'm simply amazed I haven't gotten around to making a post in this thread, yet. It's almost criminal.

I think my personal favorites include these:

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
                            Elantris/Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson (Oddly enough, he's the man who will finish The Wheel of Time).
                            Shannara - Terry Brooks

I will also admit a certain fondness for *cough* the Artemis Fowl series. *cough*

If I actually had my book collection here with me at college, I'm sure I could add a few more titles to the list.
                            No shame in reading Artie. Those books are great fun, "The Supernaturalist" and "The Wish" were good as well.

Currently reading "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Regarding the Dune series, I've only read the first one (it was my first sci-fi book, well after Hitchhiker's Guide), loved it, but haven't felt any inclination to continue with the series. I'll probably pick up "Dune Messiah" some day though.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              No shame in reading Artie. Those books are great fun,
                              They are. I quite like Butler.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                              "The Supernaturalist" and "The Wish" were good as well.
                              Hmm ... Haven't actually read those, been patiently awaiting "The Time Paradox," though.

Would you judge "The Supernaturalist" and "The Wish" to be as good as Artemis Fowl? Better?

Comment

The only scifi books I've read have been star trek/buffy based. Oh and one Stargate one Stargate SG1:Roswell. My alltime favorite scifi book that I've read has to be 'Go Ask Malice'

Comment

Working...
                                X