Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
    Aw, lucky you! I haven't read that one yet, but I have it. Never got round to it...
    I'll have to pick up the series again one of these days...
    It was really good
    sigpic

Comment

Re-reading The GRand Tour series by Ben Bova. Brilliant books, but the let down is that the continuity is out by a great deal between the books. He's written them out of order (as they can be read as stand alone) so it's all very confusing.

Comment

Finished reading "The Crippled God" by Steven Erikson. Great book and a good ending to the series though I wish the epilogue had been a bit longer.

Next up is either "The River of Shadows" by Robert Redick or "Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson.

Comment

I've got a couple of books I'm reading at the moment.

A Warhammer 40k anthology called 'Victories of the Space Marines'
          MechWarrior 'Dark Age' Ghost War.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Not sure if Milton's Paradise Lost counts, but...I found out someone's making a movie of it.

With Bradley Cooper as Satan.

Someone please shoot me now
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              Not sure if Milton's Paradise Lost counts, but...I found out someone's making a movie of it.

With Bradley Cooper as Satan.

Someone please shoot me now
              *Shoots you*
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                *Shoots you*
                Thank you. You have done me a great service. *dies*
                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Finished reading "River of Shadow" by Robert V.S. Redick. Good book, I´m really looking forward to the conclusion of the series in the next book.

Next up is "The Way of the King" by Brandon Sanderson. Hopefully this book is as good as his other work as he's become one of my favorite writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                    Finished reading "River of Shadow" by Robert V.S. Redick. Good book, I´m really looking forward to the conclusion of the series in the next book.

Next up is "The Way of the King" by Brandon Sanderson. Hopefully this book is as good as his other work as he's become one of my favorite writers.
                    Me too! I think you'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post

It's very slow at first. As he intends it to be a Decalogy, he spends the first half of the book making the reader get to know the characters. However, it picks up by the end. It really is quite good.
                      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I'm reading a Warhammer Fantasy novel called 'Bloodforged'
                        And will be starting a Warhammer 40k book called 'The Battle of the Fang'
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Not scifi or really fantasy, but really good is A.S. Byatt's collection of fairy tales, the Djinn in the Nightingales Eye. Love the Djinn and the eldest Princess.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am going to reread the Dayworld series by Philip Jose Farmer
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

Currently reading Hellburner by C.J. Cherryh
                              sigpic

Comment

Over the past few years of reading, these are the SF/fantasy books that have really stood out for me:
                                • A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin - the best books I've ever read in any genre. The series has of course become extremely popular due to HBO's brilliant Game of Thrones TV show, but I highly recommend any fan of it to go and check out the books. Wonderfully written and beautifully complex, full of violence, sex and griity characters. I absolutely adore it.
                                • The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett - good fun story, quite unique plot and concept. It takes a while to get going and jumps around some seemingly unrelated characters, but is very much worth sticking with.
                                • The Dark Tower by Stephen King - a huge, epic dark fantasy story, very different to King's usual style (and all the better for it). The books become a bit overlong as the series continues, but unlike many I really enjoyed them and I thought the series ended wonderfully. Wolves of the Calla was probably my favourite book in the series.
                                • The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton - a massive book, part of an even bigger series. I've only read this one so far, but it struck a chord with me. Proper detailed sci-fi with a lot going on and adding a bit of horror into the mix.
                                • Harry Potter - yes, they are essentially children's books but that doesn't stop them being a good story. I did find the writing a bit immature and the first couple of books are a real slog to get through, but the whole thing matures as it continues and I particularly enjoyed the fact that the plot had been thought out and events interlinked across books in a satisfactory way.
                                • The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie - this is fun, messy fantasy told with style. A thoroughly enjoyable read filled with characters you'll love and love to hate.
                                • Mass Effect by Drew Karpyshyn - computer game tie in novels which are actually very good, due in no small part to the fact that Drew also worked on the story for the games themselves. They link in very well with the frankly fantastic world created for the game and flesh out a lot of aspects.

Books I liked but wouldn't list as my favourites:
                                The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
                                The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
                                The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan - a bit too teenagery (is that a word?)

Books I struggled to enjoy:
                                Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson - felt like an overcomplicated mess that ultimately went nowhere

Book I'm currently reading:
                                A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire) - approaching the end and loving it

Books I have lined up to read:

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett (sequel to The Painted Man)
                                The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
                                Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
                                Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
                                The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
                                Hyperion by Dan Simmons
                                Before they are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie (sequel to The Blade Itself)
                                Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb
                                Star Wars novels (read many of them as a teenager, felt like catching up)

Any recommendations/comments on the ones I have waiting to read?
                                Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 06 August 2011, 03:23 AM.
                                Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Working...
                                X