Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
    They wrote a book about you?
    I wish they had.
    I am a fan of the series. It's actually where I get my GW username from.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
      I wish they had.
      I am a fan of the series. It's actually where I get my GW username from.
      I like my theory better. My username is nickname, that has stuck with a vengeance.
      sigpic

Comment

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. A very excellent read, and although I could see where some people might not love it (Main character being a bit Gary Stu-y) in some places, there's a very awesome framing device being used that really makes me think about what else could be going on, about if the story is being embellished by the guy telling it in some way...

Getting started on Wise Man's Fear now.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Every time I look at a thread such as this, I'm reminded of all the good (and bad) books I have read in my lifetime. I am also made aware of all the books I have yet to read. So many pages, so little time in which to turn them.

I don't know if this has been previously mentioned, but I'd like to provide a link to the Internet Speculative Fiction Database. It has pretty much every book and story ever written in the genre(s).

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Finished reading "The hundred thousand kingdoms" by N. K. Jemisin. Fairly good book all things considered though the fragmented way the story is told is a bit off putting imo. Still, I´m definitely going to read the second book in the trilogy.

Comment

Ancient Light - Mary Gentle
              sigpic

Comment

I have not read this entire thread so please forgive me if I say something someone else have already mentioned.

My favorite fantasy series is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. This is a epic fantasy story that go over 15 books (if you include the prequel.) It is about a world where history go in circles. Our world is the first age, then come a age of perfect harmony and an Utopian society that mixes technology and magick, this can not last off course and a magcikal experiment gos wrong letting what is essentially the Devil into the world. This entity is defeated but at a cost as the male side of magick is tainted driving every male mage insane, which is a problem since magick in this setting is extremely powerful. Insane mages rip the world apart leading to the third age where the story of the book takes place. Now the world is the typical middle ages like world. The main character is a mage, a problem since he is a man, and he is also the Dragon Reborn, the reincarnation of the man who defeated the Devil in the last age.

Wheel of Time have a fantastic setting, an amazing magick system and all in all this series is a fantasy masterwork which I really recommend.

My second favorite fantasy series is Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. This series follows Richard a young nobody chosen to wield a magickal sword and help the innocent. He becomes a mage to after a while. Now this series begins like the typical man with magick sword saves world while thing to sort of his emotions around a forbidden love affair. However quickly this series turn into social and political commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                  Finished reading "The hundred thousand kingdoms" by N. K. Jemisin. Fairly good book all things considered though the fragmented way the story is told is a bit off putting imo. Still, I´m definitely going to read the second book in the trilogy.
                  Please describe what you mean by, "fragmented." I plan on reading this book eventually and I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Comment

Hmm, the story isn't always told in a perfectly linear way since it is set up as someone remembering events and there are little paragraphs in between that sometimes are odd but it all makes sense in the end. It's a good book so give it a shot.

Comment

Hi all.
                      Well I've finished the 'Starfist' Force Recon books.
                      They answered a lot of questions which were raised in the main 'Starfist series of books.

I'm still waiting for 'Mission of Honor' by David Weber.
                      So I'm reading one of the Black Library Horus Heresy Novels.

Prospero Burns By Dan Abnett

Comment

Finally finished A Feast for Crows, great continuation of ASoIaF Can't wait now for A Dance with Dragons (July 12th).

Just started The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, liking it so far.
                        sigpic
                        My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                          Finally finished A Feast for Crows, great continuation of ASoIaF Can't wait now for A Dance with Dragons (July 12th).

Just started The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, liking it so far.

Loved that book!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi all,
                            'Mission of Honor' arrived this morning along with 'Turn The Other Chick'.

I'll be reading these in conjunction with the book in my previous post.

Comment

Finished reading "Brass Man" which is the third Agent Cormac book by Neal Asher. At first I was a bit dubious about the premise but the book turned out great.

Next up is "The Ruling Sea" by Robert V.S. Redick.

Comment

Finished Howl's Moving Castle last week. It was good, but WAY different from the movie. In all honesty, I think I like the movie better
                                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X