Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Yeah, I think the book looks alot better than "Bella's whiny point of view" as well, but the one thing that I cant get over is how they're supposed to make movies out of the books. I just dont think that they'll be very good, especially after seeing the two characters chosen to play Bella & Edward, but then again I just have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
      ^Yeah, I think the book looks alot better than "Bella's whiny point of view" as well, but the one thing that I cant get over is how they're supposed to make movies out of the books. I just dont think that they'll be very good, especially after seeing the two characters chosen to play Bella & Edward, but then again I just have to wait and see.
      I absolutely agree- they work okay enough as books, but any movie would come off as just god-awful sap catered to pre-teen girls, unless they really change things around. I'm 99% sure that I wouldn't see the movie unless someone whose judgment I trust says it's surprisingly decent. And the guy who played Cedric in HP that they chose to play Edward.....that was a bizarre choice, I can't picture it.

On the bright side I just read that Shia LaBeouf could be playing Yorick in "Y: The Last Man", which is just about the most perfect casting I could think of for that character, definitely hope that one happens, and that they don't screw up a film version of that.....if they do I will not be happy.
      Last edited by Trek_Girl42; 01 February 2008, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I can't STAND the Twilight series. I didn't even get halfway through the 1st book and I was bored/annoyed to death! Bella is kinda whiny, plus, for the first part of the book she just broods over the SAME EXACT THINGS!! It's terribly tedious. If Stephenie Meyer had spent less time giving Bella more time to brood, then maybe it would've been better. And if Bella was less whiny, that would've helped too. The main reason I just hated the book was because of the fact that I couldn't relate to ANY of the characters. They all annoyed me. So, that was a turn-off for me. I honestly don't understand why the books are so incredibly popular...but then again, try applying rationale to the Harry Potter (which I love) phenomenon and it makes no sense
        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

^ You know, one of the weird things abou this book is that every who's read it, that I know anyway, has either feel in love with the series or couldnt even finish it because they hated Bella so much, and I wonder if it would have been a better idea to start of the series from Edwards point of view.

Comment

^ You know, one of the weird things abou this book is that every who's read it, that I know anyway, has either feel in love with the series or couldnt even finish it because they hated Bella so much, and I wonder if it would have been a better idea to start of the series from Edwards point of view.
            Reminds me of Eragon, but better because at least it isn't a direct and blatant rip off of anything.

Anyway, I'm borrowing the third one tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

That wouldn't have helped me much. I hated him too.

Has anyone here read East (aka North Child) by Edith Pattou?
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                I am so double minded on these books, I just finished the third one, and.....it was better than the second one, I'll give it that, and Bella was a bit less whiny. However, the characters are so.....Jacob, who I liked in the first book, and started to dislike in the second lost more of my respect in the third. And Bella.....gah! Leave the poor boys alone for frak's sake! Stop toying with everyone's emotions! It feels like the character motivations are created to serve the plot points or whatever dramatic scene that comes from the drama itself rather than the characters- so it makes for a lot of repetitive scenes, which makes for conflicting mind-numbing melodrama. If that makes any sense. And I think Stephenie Meyer will get better at remedying this in time, I still think she's got a lot of promise as a writer and I'll read whatever she comes out with next.

In the end, I'll recommend them as mindless entertainment (I'll say it was fun reading), if you don't mind character inconsistencies, extensive self-pity and melodrama. It's like junk food reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  I am so double minded on these books, I just finished the third one, and.....it was better than the second one, I'll give it that, and Bella was a bit less whiny. However, the characters are so.....Jacob, who I liked in the first book, and started to dislike in the second lost more of my respect in the third. And Bella.....gah! Leave the poor boys alone for frak's sake! Stop toying with everyone's emotions! It feels like the character motivations are created to serve the plot points or whatever dramatic scene that comes from the drama itself rather than the characters- so it makes for a lot of repetitive scenes, which makes for conflicting mind-numbing melodrama. If that makes any sense. And I think Stephenie Meyer will get better at remedying this in time, I still think she's got a lot of promise as a writer and I'll read whatever she comes out with next.

In the end, I'll recommend them as mindless entertainment (I'll say it was fun reading), if you don't mind character inconsistencies, extensive self-pity and melodrama. It's like junk food reading.
                  Yeah...that's my problem. I hate junk food reading. (wait...is that necessarily a problem? ) I think it's b/c I've spent the past 4 years in advanced-level english classes and now I automatically search for "hidden meaning" in anything I read ROFL
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Yeah...that's my problem. I hate junk food reading. (wait...is that necessarily a problem? ) I think it's b/c I've spent the past 4 years in advanced-level english classes and now I automatically search for "hidden meaning" in anything I read ROFL
                    I see your dilemma, "Hidden meaning" and the Twilight series don't exactly go hand in hand.....

*sigh* It is nice to turn your brain off once in awhile though.

Comment

Has anyone here read East (aka North Child) by Edith Pattou?
                      No, whats it about?

Comment

Well, it's sort of a twist on the Greek Cupid and Psyche myth. Basically, this Norwegian girl is destined from birth to be a wanderer, but her parents try to hide this part of her identity so that she won't ever have to leave home. But, inevitably, things go their own way, and one day a mysterious white bear (who miraculously saved her from drowning as a baby--but this is a fact only her brother knows) shows up at her family's door asking that she come and travel with him, and in exchange, he will bring health to her dying sister and prosperity to her poor family. Despite her father's insistence that she stay, she goes anyway and learns that there is some magical secret behind the bear's identity that she has yet to discover. That's as far as I am, though. It's really good.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

^That sounds pretty good, I might have to check that out this weekend.

Comment

Well, it's sort of a twist on the Greek Cupid and Psyche myth. Basically, this Norwegian girl is destined from birth to be a wanderer, but her parents try to hide this part of her identity so that she won't ever have to leave home. But, inevitably, things go their own way, and one day a mysterious white bear (who miraculously saved her from drowning as a baby--but this is a fact only her brother knows) shows up at her family's door asking that she come and travel with him, and in exchange, he will bring health to her dying sister and prosperity to her poor family. Despite her father's insistence that she stay, she goes anyway and learns that there is some magical secret behind the bear's identity that she has yet to discover. That's as far as I am, though. It's really good.
                            That sounds good! I'll have to add it to my list.

Comment

Has anyone read Patrica Briggs? I just finished her latest, Iron-Kissed. It's the third in her Mercedes Thompson series and just as good as the first two. I guess you could call it urban fantasy, but I think it's better than the usual....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

arthur c. clarke's rama stuff
                                asimov's foundation stuff
                                Ender's Game was pretty cool
                                big fan of heinlein so pretty much anything by him...
                                I particularly liked the new jedi order stuff for star wars books, espeacially vector prime written by R.A. Salvatore, I dig his Demon wars and forgotten realms novels as well.

oh yeah and I can't forget John Ringo, if you like starship troopers and that heinlein feel check him out he's not bad i think the name of the first book in the series i'm thinking of is called "A Hymn before battle" that was pretty badass.

and yeah i'm a nerd I like star trek books too.. check out the corps of engineers stuff starts with a book called "have tech will travel" or something to that effect, and I dig the Star Trek Titan stuff too, (riker's command after enterprise..etc..)

Comment

Working...
                                X