Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I´m a big Weber fan but I somehow get tired of the Honor Harrington series after the first three or four books (this was a long time ago btw). I was at the same time reading his "Stars at war" series that he co-wrote with Steven White and I found myself loving that series a lot more which may have clouded my judgement of HH series.

Since I´m going through my collection reading books that have somehow slipped through the net I might just give HH another try.

Comment

I'm currently reading Star Wars : Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        Ooh. I loved the 'Thrawn trilogy' when I read it...dang..."ages ago". (90s, right?)
        sigpic

Comment

Planning on reading Bradbury's The Halloween Tree in time for the holiday
          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
            Planning on reading Bradbury's The Halloween Tree in time for the holiday
            Thats a good one. I'm going to re-read Bradbury's From the Dust Returned and The Homecoming just to get in the Halloween mood. I'll probably read them aloud to my kids. I really love those two books and they are so beautifully written; I love the way the words flow in those two books. Ok I need to stop gushing lol.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
              Ooh. I loved the 'Thrawn trilogy' when I read it...dang..."ages ago". (90s, right?)
              Yep the 90's
              I'm actually re-reading it.

ttyl
              Starfist
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I'm reading that right now along with Black Prism by Brent Weeks and The Short Victorious War by David Weber.

Comment

Yep the 90's
                  I'm actually re-reading it.

ttyl
                  Starfist
                  Yeah. I recall doing a 'book report' on one of the books for school...
                  I guess I should get around to re-reading my Star Wars stuff. I'm really 'out of the loop' in terms of the expanded universe.
                  Maybe after the Honorverse stuff...(should be done w/ it in a month or two, seeing as I seem to finish a book/week)

Any good and 'realistic' depiction of sci-fi armoured/tank warfare? Is Hammer's Slammers any good?
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been laid up in bed for a few days with a stomach bug, so I used the oppertunity to do some light reading. As such I came across a "cute" series called "Vampirates"
                    I read the first 3 in a day and a half (they are quite fun and easy to read).
                    Whilst not Scifi, they are fantasy, and in some ways very "potter-centric", so if you like light fantasy and/or HP, these books might hold your interest.

Cheers
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Reading This Alein Shore by C.S. Friedmann
                      sigpic

Comment

Right now, I'm reading Fractured Dream, the second book in my Draconia series. I don't think I could ever get tired of this book.
                        sigpic
                        "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                        Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I recently finished this. It was ok. I think if you're a big star wars fan it's probably required reading, but otherwise I'd skip it. I'm currently reading Suldren's Garden by Jack Vance, A Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and Midshipman's Hope by David Feintuch.

Comment

I just finished 'Honor Among Enemies' a day ago...so now the bookmark's on the 7th Honor Harrington book, 'In Enemy Hands'. Really nice stuff. I hope there's more about the Anderman Empire in later books (Space Prussians = awesome...kinda like in Legend of the Galactic Heroes. HH's Space Prussians are also cool in that they're also Chinese).
                            sigpic

Comment

I started reading the Honor Harrington novels again from where I left of years ago, starting with "Field of Dishonor" and I´m currently reading "Flag in Exile". I have to admit that I'm getting a bit tired of some things in Webers writing style, he tends to make the good guys so great and the bad guys so incompetent that your amazed that any of them can tie their own shoelaces at times.

Between those books I read "The Clone Empire" by Steven L. Kent which was great. It's the latest in his clone series and the penultimate one if I was reading his authors notes correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                                I started reading the Honor Harrington novels again from where I left of years ago, starting with "Field of Dishonor" and I´m currently reading "Flag in Exile". I have to admit that I'm getting a bit tired of some things in Webers writing style, he tends to make the good guys so great and the bad guys so incompetent that your amazed that any of them can tie their own shoelaces at times.
                                Hehehe, yeah, I noticed that. That and you'd know/expect that Honor would pretty much survive after every book (and since there's another on the way <right?>, I guess that's still the case ). Then again, I'm pretty much used to, and a fan, of space opera (despite the relatively 'military' or 'hard' sci-fi approach that the HH series seems to be, methinks it's still a space opera), so stuff like that is kinda fine by me.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X