Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started the Dreaming Void by Peter Hamilton
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

I'm loving the Honor Harrington stuff so far. I finished the 2nd book (The Honor of the Queen) yesterday and just started on the 3rd one (The Short Victorious War)...and decided to get the next 3 books when I dropped by the bookstore earlier.
      sigpic

Comment

I read a lot.
        Science Fiction and Fantasy being a major part of my library.

I am a big fan of the 'Honor Harrington' series by David Weber and 'The Dragon Riders of Pern' by Anne McCaffery.

ttyl
        Starfist
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
          I read a lot.
          Science Fiction and Fantasy being a major part of my library.

I am a big fan of the 'Honor Harrington' series by David Weber and 'The Dragon Riders of Pern' by Anne McCaffery.
          ttyl
          Starfist
          Dragonriders of Pern is awesome. I loved it and All the Pern Novels
          Sig by The Carpenter
          sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
            Dear All,

As most of you know, I have been asking for prayers for my grand-aunt and my mom's friend for the past few weeks. I am grateful for all the support you have been giving; it has made getting through this difficult time just a bit less painful.

My mom's friend, Beth Jacinto, passed away last Thursday night, September 30, after her long battle with cancer. And my grand-aunt, Norma Jones, mother of 10, grandmother of 19, and great-grandmother of 2 (as well as being a second grandmother to me and my cousins after our own grandmother's death), passed away early Wednesday morning, October 6 (exactly 11 years after my grandma's death, to the day).

Both services will be tomorrow morning, October 9.

Again, I would like to thank you all for the support you have been giving. This is an extremely hard time for everybody and any kind of help is well appreciated. I please ask that you continue to keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. In some ways, letting go only gets harder with age, and I know we all need all the support we can get.

I just wanted to let you know what happened, and to thank you for everything you have been doing.

Love to you all,
            Mimzy <3
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              Spoiler:
              Dear All,

As most of you know, I have been asking for prayers for my grand-aunt and my mom's friend for the past few weeks. I am grateful for all the support you have been giving; it has made getting through this difficult time just a bit less painful.

My mom's friend, Beth Jacinto, passed away last Thursday night, September 30, after her long battle with cancer. And my grand-aunt, Norma Jones, mother of 10, grandmother of 19, and great-grandmother of 2 (as well as being a second grandmother to me and my cousins after our own grandmother's death), passed away early Wednesday morning, October 6 (exactly 11 years after my grandma's death, to the day).

Both services will be tomorrow morning, October 9.

Again, I would like to thank you all for the support you have been giving. This is an extremely hard time for everybody and any kind of help is well appreciated. I please ask that you continue to keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. In some ways, letting go only gets harder with age, and I know we all need all the support we can get.

I just wanted to let you know what happened, and to thank you for everything you have been doing.

Love to you all,
              Mimzy <3
              ((hugs))
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                I'm loving the Honor Harrington stuff so far. I finished the 2nd book (The Honor of the Queen) yesterday and just started on the 3rd one (The Short Victorious War)...and decided to get the next 3 books when I dropped by the bookstore earlier.
                I finished On Basilisk Station yesterday (it was a most excellent and triumphant story) and I've getting into The Honor of the Queen. Will hunt around for more... once I finish 3 Charles Stross books... and did I mention I picked up Red Mars to read somewhere between those?
                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                  I finished On Basilisk Station yesterday (it was a most excellent and triumphant story) and I've getting into The Honor of the Queen.
                  Yeah. I like how the pace really picks up (not that there was any real point that, I think, I found the story slow).
                  I just finished the third book a few hours ago (The Short Victorious War). Still fun, so far. I'm several chapters into the fourth book, Field of Dishonor. I guess I should drop by the bookstore, again, this weekend...
                  sigpic

Comment

Hello, everyone,

Spoiler:
                    My theology prof. is awesome--he gave me a week's extension on my paper. I am so relieved.

Things have calmed down since after the funerals--the viewings are always the worst because that's the time when it really hits you that you have to say goodbye. After the burial ceremony, then things start to level out into a sort of dull ache. I was glad I got to spend time with one of my cousins--it was her "Grammy" who died, and I remember when my grandma died, she was the first one to comfort me--so the least I could do was return the favor.

So it's going to be a slow process, but we're getting there. It was a lot harder to deal with these 2 deaths this time because (a) it's harder to lose someone when you've lost that childhood innocence (in some ways, I think kids have a better understanding of death than adults do, even if it seems to be the opposite--they don't have a concept of someone being gone "forever." Which is actually correct, b/c it's not a final goodbye. If it was, there would be no point in living for the future at all) and (b) the circumstances of these deaths were just so much more complicated and they both happened at the same time when we weren't exactly ready for them.

It hurts, but now that everything's done, there's this sense of peace, at least for me. I still ask for prayers for the families, though--everybody deals with different things in different ways. It's going to take a longer time to get through these losses, but I know there's still hope.

...after 7 years of not having to go through a major family death, I understood what it felt like to lose someone, but I had forgotten just how much it hurts. Over the weekend, I had this lingering fear of what would happen, every time my parents had to go somewhere, or some other relative, or when my other grand-aunt went back to Alaska on Sunday...it was always this fear that I would never see them again (especially w/ my aunt--she's 96). Luckily, my past experience has strengthened me enough to know that I cannot live life in constant fear of losing somebody--if it happens, it happens.
                    So, yeah. but it's going to be okay.
                    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

For anyone who likes The Graveyard book, this is a link to Neil Gaiman doing a reading of it.

http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx
                      sigpic

Comment

The last new book I read was "Evolutionary Void" by Peter Hamilton, a great book which provided a strong finish to a fantastic series.

I've also been reading some old books that somehow got into my collection but I never read before. "The Gods of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs which is a believe that second John Carter of Mars book, "Beyond the farthest star which is by the same author.

"Dr. Futurity" by Philip K. Dick, an unusually whole story compared to the other PDK books I've read.

"Three Hearts and three lions" by Poul Anderson, an ok fantasy book but a bit on the short side but then it was first written in 1953 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                          The last new book I read was "Evolutionary Void" by Peter Hamilton, a great book which provided a strong finish to a fantastic series.

"Dr. Futurity" by Philip K. Dick, an unusually whole story compared to the other PDK books I've read.
                          I'm reading Dreaming Void right now. glad to hear he has another in the series out.
                          I love Philip K dick, I have two volumes of his short stories, and "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep", an "The Man in the High Castle" He's awesome
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

I finished the first two books of the Honor Harrington series and started the third, but I'm getting a sinking feeling after having finished Honor of the Queen. Is each book going start with Honor getting promoted and given some bigger ship after having fought some big battle at the end of the last book? At what point will Weber start telling a more serialized story?

Comment

I'm just biding my time until the next Star Trek: New Frontier book comes out. Other then that, my SF reading is low priority right now.
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                                I finished the first two books of the Honor Harrington series and started the third, but I'm getting a sinking feeling after having finished Honor of the Queen. Is each book going start with Honor getting promoted and given some bigger ship after having fought some big battle at the end of the last book? At what point will Weber start telling a more serialized story?
                                Methinks it gets better. I just finished the 4th book, which picks up shortly after the events in the 3rd
                                Spoiler:
                                and there wasn't even a single space battle
                                . I've already started on the 5th book (Flag in Exile) and it's nice, so far.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X