Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read both. I really liked LOTRs a lot.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teyla-Joy View Post
      Anyone likes the Lord of the rings and chronicals of Narnia books?
      I liked all of them. I found the Narnia books to be more accessible. Tolkien's wording could get...dense, especially in the early chapters of Lord of the Rings. I personally liked The Silmarillion more than the Lord of the Rings.

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
      I really liked the Hobbit, then the Lord of the Rings trilogy I couldn't finish because of his extensive fondness for descriptive exhaustive detailed world building and petty politics. But I can see some of the beauty in it, the imagination. I mean very few have come up with such a detailed world. I think I read all the Chronicle books when I was younger and had less memory retention. I should read them again. They were pretty creative too but I didn't like how the kids were placed into these highly important roles without filing a job application
      I read Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was very young. I never forgot it. It wasn't until many, many years later that I finally ended up reading the other 6 books. I'm glad I got a chance to read them as an adult because I could appreciate them. Interestingly, my favorite ended up being Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

You should try reading The Silmarillion. It's difficult reading at first but when you get used to Tolkien's syntax, I think you'll find that it's an ultimately superior storyline to Lord of the Rings.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        I liked all of them. I found the Narnia books to be more accessible. Tolkien's wording could get...dense, especially in the early chapters of Lord of the Rings. I personally liked The Silmarillion more than the Lord of the Rings.

I read Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was very young. I never forgot it. It wasn't until many, many years later that I finally ended up reading the other 6 books. I'm glad I got a chance to read them as an adult because I could appreciate them. Interestingly, my favorite ended up being Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

You should try reading The Silmarillion. It's difficult reading at first but when you get used to Tolkien's syntax, I think you'll find that it's an ultimately superior storyline to Lord of the Rings.
        I started reading that a while back but I really couldn't understand it too much. I'm bad with syntax and flowery language, sorry caveman in that aspect. If I had some sort of key to decipher the text, then maybe.

Comment

I tried to read the he Silmarillion, I did not make, so boring. Ranks up there with Austen's Emma, hate that book and never got past page 30
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
            I started reading that a while back but I really couldn't understand it too much. I'm bad with syntax and flowery language, sorry caveman in that aspect. If I had some sort of key to decipher the text, then maybe.
            The Silmarillion actually does get easier as it progresses. But you're right that the syntax with the book is very...flowery. I had to read the first page aloud to myself in order to make sense of it when it dawned on me that in a way, it was perhaps meant to be read aloud. Much of the early chapters had that same heraldic and declamatory feel to it. It gave me a headache for a few weeks.
            sigpic

Comment

I think I may have to cheat and google some applicable decipher for his language.

Comment

Originally posted by Teyla-Joy View Post
                Anyone likes the Lord of the rings and chronicals of Narnia books?
                LOTR (and most of the rest of Tolkien's work) bored me to tears, Narnia was ok, but not fantastic
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Yeah I Like the LOTR Movies and the books were hard to read I got through the hobbit and the 1rst and second LOTR books Got most of CONarnia done

Team Ronan

Comment

I read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was in 4th grade for school, I read the rest of the books afterwards because I liked it so much. I really didn't like how it ended.
                    I read The Lord of the Rings books. I liked them for the most part. I liked The Silmarillion better, I tend to like flowery language in my books lol .
                    sigpic

Comment

So do you like HP Lovecraft and August Derleth as well?
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                        I read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was in 4th grade for school, I read the rest of the books afterwards because I liked it so much. I really didn't like how it ended.
                        I read The Lord of the Rings books. I liked them for the most part. I liked The Silmarillion better, I tend to like flowery language in my books lol .
                        I actually didn't prefer how it ended back when I was a kid either, but my suggestion is to re-read all of them again. It helps

And my friend is at Oxford right now, taking a C.S. Lewis tutorial...she gets to study Narnia. I am insanely jealous. lol
                        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          Love Lovecraft!
                          sigpic

Comment

Loved C.o.Narnia - can re-read them even now can't count the amount of time I have read them over the past .?.?.? years Just finished reading The Gap Series (again!!) by Stephen Donaldson whilst waiting for his next Thomas Covenant book to appear on the shelves next month.
                            sigpic
                            Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              I like Lovecraft, I don't think I've ever heard of the other person though. What have they written?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                                I actually didn't prefer how it ended back when I was a kid either, but my suggestion is to re-read all of them again. It helps

And my friend is at Oxford right now, taking a C.S. Lewis tutorial...she gets to study Narnia. I am insanely jealous. lol
                                I have them all, so I'll try to re-read them to see if I like they ending any better. I mean, I really like the books overall, its just one aspect of the ending that, I dunno, just doesn't do it for me even though I do understand it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X