Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't give specific examples, but Brian Lumley writes some pretty twisted stuff in the "Necroscope" series of books. So does Clive Barker as well.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

George R. R Martin has some pretty messed up scenes in his books.
      A lot of people found Orson Scott Card's Wyrms pretty disturbing.
      sigpic

Comment

I just finished reading the first book in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series, Capture, and while I didn't like it as a 7th grader, I love it now. It's actually pretty philosophically deep for a kids' book, especially a kids' book about owls. I just HAD to give the series another chance after seeing the FREAKING AMAZING trailer for the movie in theaters, and I'm so glad I did.

(this is actually the 2nd trailer. it looks SOOOO much better in 3-D. The owls looked SO REAL when I saw the 1st trailer and I swear I was like in the theater. It was an awe-inspiring moment and I got chills at the precision in the animation)

Although there was this part that I, a college/uni student, found really disturbing O_o It wasn't bad or anything--the symbolism behind it was actually very reminiscent of what C.S. Lewis did in Narnia and it was pretty amazing--but it was MEGA-creepy. And I'm definitely not a kid...I dunno how kids took it when they read it. I thought it was eeee.
        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Just finished Peter Watts' Blindsight, which was very otherworldly hard science fiction. Makes you think about first contact with an alien species in very different way. Very intriguing read!

Started the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
          sigpic
          My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
            Hunger Games- disgust/gross/horrifying
            Spoiler:
            They take a bunch of children between I think 12-16 to go fight in gladitorial style games but on a wider playing field. The kids go about killing each other until only one survivor is left. I wouldn't recommend this book though because it's a pretty unbelievable premise, but slightly believable by the desensitization and gross things people are entertained by these days. Somewhat believable that people would eventually find this kind of thing entertaining perhaps in the future.
            Yes, the premise is disturbing, but I really have enjoyed this series. The political situation is intriguing. Has anyone read Mockingjay yet? I'm waiting to get my hands on it.
            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Hoping to finish the first Ingo book soon
              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                Started the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
                Bought that one as well, I'm starting it as soon as I've finished Wizard's First Rule
                Mia: Don't you hate that?
                Vincent: Hate what?
                Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Started on Soul of Fire yesterday
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been reading the Artemis Fowl series of books since they first came out when i was a wee boy . the newest one just came out and it was buy one get one free so i got a Doctor Who book entitled Nuclear Time.

I had SOooooooooooooooooooooo many unread books even before then, whats 2 more
                    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I'm currently checking out the 4400 continuation books. Eh.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I'm currently checking out the 4400 continuation books. Eh.
                        Tha't going to take quite some time. where do you keep 4400 books
                        no means no, and so does pepper spray
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                          Stacked in the corner
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                            Why, in his basement, next to the dead hooker and the 2k dollars worth of coke.
                            Mia: Don't you hate that?
                            Vincent: Hate what?
                            Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                            Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                            Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                            - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
                              When were you in my house

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X