Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hallmjo View Post
    Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy
    Now there's a blast from my past
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Currently reading Wizard's First Rule, first book in the Sword of Truth series
      Mia: Don't you hate that?
      Vincent: Hate what?
      Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
      Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
      Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
      - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
        Currently reading Wizard's First Rule, first book in the Sword of Truth series
        I'm working my way through that series too.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm, in which book of the series are you currently?
          Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
          Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
          - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Soul of Fire is next.
            sigpic

Comment

Is the series still good? I've heard there are a couple of amazing books in it, but also a few real stinkers (Naked Empire comes to mind).
              - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
                Is the series still good? I've heard there are a couple of amazing books in it, but also a few real stinkers (Naked Empire comes to mind).
                So far I"ve enjoyed them. I haven't started Soul of Fire yet. So we shall see...
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm not up to that one yet by a long shot, almost finished with Wizard's First Rule, and also got Magician: Apprentice and A Game of Thrones lying around
                  - Pulp Fiction

Comment

I have two stacks of books I'm working my way through
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                      I have two stacks of books I'm working my way through
                      I have 18 on my" unread books" shelf, and there are about 6 more on my wish list
                      I need to stop playing online and get reading
                      no means no, and so does pepper spray
                      Sig by The Carpenter
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                        I have 18 on my" unread books" shelf, and there are about 6 more on my wish list
                        I need to stop playing online and get reading
                        there are about 16 I can see from where I am sitting. This does not include the ones I can't see or want.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          there are about 16 I can see from where I am sitting. This does not include the ones I can't see or want.
                          My dilemna is, that I am getting rid of books cause I'm planning a move, yet I want to buy more books
                          no means no, and so does pepper spray
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

I just finished reading a really good book called Seven Tears into the Sea, by Terri Farley.

Cover description:

Beckon the sea,
                            I'll come to thee...
                            Shed seven tears,
                            Perchance seven years...

At the age of ten, Gwennie Cooke had a strange encounter with a boy with dark, slightly tilted eyes. He came to her on the beach, whispered strange words in her ear, and then disappeared. Shortly thereafter, her family moved away from their seaside home and Gwen never saw the boy again.

Now seventeen, Gwen is returning to her childhood home. Her nana asked her to come. But Gwen knows it's time to go back for another reason: She yearns for the sea. perhaps the sea itself is calling to her. Perhaps the memory of the boy and his haunting words are drawing her back to the place they met. Perhaps it's time for her to face her destiny.
                            It dipped into the typical cliche'd teen romance a few times, but not enough to (forgive me for the pun) drown the entire book. The ending was actually quite beautiful and not sappy at all, IMO.

Personally, I found it a refreshing alternative to that Twilight nonsense. A similar kind of fantasy romance except with (a) an interesting female protagonist who is not annoyingly whiny, (b) a mysterious love interest who is very odd and kind of overprotective but does not come off as stalkerish, (c) a good amount of depth to the OMG!PLOT!, and (d) a surprisingly great attention to symbolic detail.

Plus, it's about half the length of any of *those* books and far more engaging.
                            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                              My dilemna is, that I am getting rid of books cause I'm planning a move, yet I want to buy more books
                              Oh that is so hard. ((hugs))
                              sigpic

Comment

I've got 502837582094735290745 left on my to-read list. Give or take.

Recently reading about Lovecraft's Cthulhu.

Ok, I'm curious. What are some of the grossest, disgusting, horrific, and/or terrifying moments you guys have read? Please put it in spoilers and what you're describing before hand so as not to ruin it for some peoples.

The Road - disgusting/gross, this one is really disgusting to me
                                Spoiler:
                                The two protagonists are lying on the ditch next to the road hiding. They see a group of people go by filled with men with guns and a bunch of pregnant women. But they see that there are no children. It implies that the women are impregnated so they could give birth so they can eat the babies.

Hunger Games- disgust/gross/horrifying
                                Spoiler:
                                They take a bunch of children between I think 12-16 to go fight in gladitorial style games but on a wider playing field. The kids go about killing each other until only one survivor is left. I wouldn't recommend this book though because it's a pretty unbelievable premise, but slightly believable by the desensitization and gross things people are entertained by these days. Somewhat believable that people would eventually find this kind of thing entertaining perhaps in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X