Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most producers I know aren't psychic and thus can't avoid making any similarities to future events. I seem to recall there being a bit of a hubub about the Lone Gunmen premiere featuring a terrorist plot to fly a plane into the WTC... six months before it actually happened.

The girl turning the gun on her schoolmates scene confused me because I wasn't clear on whether or not it was really happening, but afterwards it seemed obvious that it was more of a daydream/nightmare than anything else.

The point being made was that she learned to control those urges- she didn't kill her classmates, and while it might be kinda horrible to think she'd fantasize about doing something like that, I think it's a sign of the times... and an indication of her character type: she has a darkness within her, but so far it's under her control. She didn't give in to her fantasies and she grew up to be one of the good guys; a tenacious DEA agent who stops (and occasionally kills) the bad guys. Her career was on the rise, she was great at what she was doing and she loved her job. Isn't that exactly the kind of thing people want out of life?

But some people can be very sensitive to violence (or even implied violence) of any kind. I can respect that, even if I can't understand it. If folks thought the scene was sickening, that's fine, but to mention it in connection with a real life event as if it's supposed to mean something is a little bizarre to me. PKJ had nothing to do with what happened at VA Tech, it's just an unfortunate coincidence... and one that I never thought of, probably because (among other things) there was a massive difference in age, circumstance, location and reality. Plus it wasn't made clear if Young Jane was actually fantasizing about killing her classmates or if it was just a nightmare. The whole thing had a very surreal, dream sequence feel to it. Dreaming about doing something isn't the same as actually doing it or the jails would be a heck of a lot fuller than they already are.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Most producers I know aren't psychic and thus can't avoid making any similarities to future events. I seem to recall there being a bit of a hubub about the Lone Gunmen premiere featuring a terrorist plot to fly a plane into the WTC... six months before it actually happened.

The girl turning the gun on her schoolmates scene confused me because I wasn't clear on whether or not it was really happening, but afterwards it seemed obvious that it was more of a daydream/nightmare than anything else.

The point being made was that she learned to control those urges- she didn't kill her classmates, and while it might be kinda horrible to think she'd fantasize about doing something like that, I think it's a sign of the times... and an indication of her character type: she has a darkness within her, but so far it's under her control. She didn't give in to her fantasies and she grew up to be one of the good guys; a tenacious DEA agent who stops (and occasionally kills) the bad guys. Her career was on the rise, she was great at what she was doing and she loved her job. Isn't that exactly the kind of thing people want out of life?

But some people can be very sensitive to violence (or even implied violence) of any kind. I can respect that, even if I can't understand it. If folks thought the scene was sickening, that's fine, but to mention it in connection with a real life event as if it's supposed to mean something is a little bizarre to me. PKJ had nothing to do with what happened at VA Tech, it's just an unfortunate coincidence... and one that I never thought of, probably because (among other things) there was a massive difference in age, circumstance, location and reality. Plus it wasn't made clear if Young Jane was actually fantasizing about killing her classmates or if it was just a nightmare. The whole thing had a very surreal, dream sequence feel to it. Dreaming about doing something isn't the same as actually doing it or the jails would be a heck of a lot fuller than they already are.
      Unfortunately, it was a nod to or a geek moment for those who were abused and made fun of while growing up, but were powerless to do anything about it. There are very few of us that can honestly say they didn't wish things would even out in the future and those that were mean to us and others would eventually get theirs. The fact Jane didn't actually perform the deed is what most people would do anyways...the ability to know right and wrong and to control their dark side/emotions.

I find it interesting that those TV critics that have seen at least the first 3 episodes have given the series a B grade. The first episode was lacking the "catch", character back story, and strong story/plot that would draw in the viewer. The producers seem to follow a more comic book approach to the material rather than expanding the universe to fill in the gaps and letting the audience connect with the protagonist in a more personal way. I don't expect a "wow" pilot episode from every series, but a better crafted one that wets the appetite. But I did like the 30's and 40's style of voice narration and some of the camera work...gives the show that "noir" feel and look that is currently popular in Anime and Manga. Now if they could only continue the association by writing complicated overall and episode arcs, PKJ would be better off.
      It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Plus it's kinda fun to be on the other side for a change: loving a show that everyone else hates.
        LOL, that's the ShadowMaat we all know and love. I am kind of the sameway, - give a show a chance that everyone else is lambasting.

A lot shows start off bad and get much better, like Eureka, The Dresden Files and Blade from the Spike network, which IMHO, still had better premieres than PKJ.

PKJ is definetly starting off pretty bad. All the characters were rather blase, with the notable exception of Jane herself. I actually like her sassy, kick-azz woman persona.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi View Post
          I find it interesting that those TV critics that have seen at least the first 3 episodes have given the series a B grade.
          Here is a list of reviews, and I wouldn't say the critics gave it an overall "B". More like an "F".

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32270

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

lol...Harry is still living down and taking shots for his stance on BSG and a few other shows he personally doesn't like.

If one reads all the reviews posted at AICN, it certainly is a mixed reaction, but one could cherry pick out comments in half those reviews too... just like Herc does to tell a different story.

For example The Kansas City TV Barn:

"The effects-laden pilot of “Painkiller Jane” is certainly watchable. And you can’t bet against Sci Fi channel, which took that 1970s clunker “Battlestar Galactica” and transformed it into a 21st-century cable hit and cultural metaphor machine.

Still, don’t be surprised if you find yourself spotting bits of TV shows that have come along in the 12 years it took to bring “Painkiller Jane” to TV. Not only will you see “Heroes” in it, but “The 4400” and even “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” though without the irony."

or Rob Owens piece, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

"Ratings prove that Sci Fi Channel's core audience is more interested in the pedestrian ("Stargate," "Eureka") than the exemplary ("Battlestar Galactica"), but new series "Painkiller Jane" (10 p.m. tomorrow) strikes a decent balance between the two.

More polished than, say, "The Dresden Files," "Painkiller Jane" borrows heavily from the late "La Femme Nikita" in its de-saturated visual design, club music sound and grrrl power attitude. It's also much less superhero-y and superior to the initial "Jane" pilot that aired as a TV movie in 2005.

"Painkiller Jane" doesn't soar to the dramatic heights of "Battlestar," but it is a step above some of the network's other programs, a procedural thriller with a sense of humor and stylish action scenes."

----------------
            PKJ is certainly lacking in many areas and the characters one dimensional. Dresden Files started out the same way before it picked up steam (didn't help that the SFC aired the eppys out-of-order and Eureka suffered the same fate which threw out the continuity...shades of Serenity). IMHO, the jury is still out until the PKJ series either shows its just a waste of time or develops into what it could become...right now, if nothing changes/improves, it's a one season series...but we still have to see what the Nielsen numbers are for the SFC and when it goes into syndication. Stranger things have happened.
            It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I'm prejudiced against AICN and tend not to trust their reviews. Even more than I don't trust reviews in general.

As for Skiffy's other programming, I love Eureka and Dresden Files, although both can be frustratingly on the shallow side of things and Dresden can't measure up to the books. In my opinion. In the case of PKJ, I'm probably a bit luckier as I've never read any of the... is it comic books? on which the series is based. I did see and like the movie and I'm disappointed they chose not to continue what they started with it, but I'm also curious as to what they're intending to do with this new re-imagining.

Dresden managed to get better so I'm hoping PKJ will get better, too.

Comment

What can I say about Painkiller Jane? Let's just say that although there were bits I liked, I had some...uh...issues with big chunks of it.

Let's start with the parts I kind of liked.

I think Kristanna Loken is a pretty okay actress. Not stellar, but passable. But just like I don't feel it's not fair to judge the entire series on one episode, I will also reserve judgment for the most part of her acting as well.

The concept...while not the most original thing I've ever seen...is kinda okay. We'll see how that goes too.

And that about covers the "likes."

Now for what I didn't like. I didn't care for the esoteric crap that served as a running theme...that whole, "I learned when my mother died that pain was my friend" blah blah blah. I found it painfully cheesy as I did the segment of her talking to herself as a little girl telling her to let go etc. I mean I get what they were trying for...it just didn't work for me. Then the Emerald building thing??? *sigh*

They are entirely too in love with some of their camera techniques. Same with some of the graphics they used. I found them to be incredibly distracting to the point of seriously annoying.

Now for the downright disturbing part that I detested...seeing her as a teen envisioning mowing down those who bullied her. And no, this doesn't have anything to do with VT killings. As a general principle, I'm not interested in seeing kids blow other kids away like that. I think the point would have been made just as strongly had she gone karate kid on them and envisioned kicking their butts.

I wish they had not reinvented the concept beyond what they did in the movie. This episodic series interpretation may (or may not) more closely follow the comics but I liked the idea of a soldier being exposed to something that changed her and made her almost invincible.

Here...I don't know why she's not "killable" and I'm a little concerned of the reasoning they'll come up with to eventually explain it.

So...not impressed all that much at this point but I'll give it a few more episodes before rendering a final judgment.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

For those who object to the kid-on-kid violence I'm curious if you've seen Dark Angel and some of the- IMO- much darker violence being committed by kids in some of the flashbacks. Or doesn't that compare because those kids were "programmed" that way?

Comment

For those who object to the kid-on-kid violence I'm curious if you've seen Dark Angel and some of the- IMO- much darker violence being committed by kids in some of the flashbacks. Or doesn't that compare because those kids were "programmed" that way?
                    Hmm. Well I never watched Dark Angel so I can't speak to that example specifically...but as a general rule, I don't really care for seeing kids imagine whipping out a machine gun and mowing down other kids. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I think the same idea of her retreating into her world could have been delivered just as effectively had she envisioned beating the crap out of everyone and I didn't think it was necessary to show her think about killing other kids like that.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

You know, Shadowmaat, your advocacy is actually tempting me to watch it now. I dvrd it but I still haven't gotten around to watching it because I saw the last half of the episode without giving it too much attention and I was a bit underwhelmed.

I'm willing to give it a chance though because, like many people, i gave up on Jake 2.0 in the middle of episode 2. Having seen the series after, I realize some shows take a while to get into a a groove. That show really picked up several episodes in. Maybe that will be the case with PKJ.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Don't go TOO far out of your way. LOL! With all these people talking about what utter and unrelenting crap it was, I'm beginning to question my own recollections. My BS-meter is usually pretty dang sensitive, but it only measured a few small blips. Maybe I'm granting it a lot of leeway because I wasn't expecting it to be all that great in the first place and thus wasn't put off by its less-than-stellar performance.

The dream sequence gunning scene came as a bit of a shock, but I wasn't horrified or disgusted by it, I accepted it as a valid storytelling method. In fact, I'm beginning to get the vague feeling I may have seen something like it before. Might just be that I've spent too much time trying to puzzle it out and have started imagining things.

Still, while it might not be as good (or "passable") as I thought it was, I also don't believe it was as terrible as everyone else has been saying and I still think it's possible for the show to salvage itself and develop into something watchable. A one-hour premiere isn't always the best introduction to something- there's too much to cover/set up and not enough time to do it. Not for a show like this, anyway.

Can you imagine if Children of the Gods had been a one-hour ep? Or Rising?

Comment

An intresting short news:

AE: How many episodes of Painkiller Jane have you shot so far?
                          KL: We're on about the 13th, I believe, so we're about halfway through. We are actually going to take the last four episodes to Budapest, to Hungary and shoot them there, which is probably where we will find the
                          Spoiler:
                          … internment center, the holding area for the neuros.

I think shooting abroad always gives a show a really rich, interesting [look]. Highlander did it great when they went to Paris . … And it always brings another aspect. I mean, I've shot in Eastern Europe before; the locations are just fantastic, and you really get a sense and feel of the old world, so I think it'll be really good for the show.

http://www.afterellen.com/people/200...ken?page=0%2C1
                          Last edited by Platschu; 18 April 2007, 10:38 PM.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It's absolutely WHACKAGE!

It was boring and I'm dissapointed that it's soo crap, there was a pretty decent build to the show and it's poor, really, just like the DRESDEN FILES!!
                            I HATE SY-FY

Comment

ok. I've seen it.. sort of. I had work to do but I did try to give it my attention. It's definitely not good but it's still watchable. The dialogue is truly appaling and in typical scifi fashion they really went overboard on trying to make it look stylish.

As for the characters... they aren't exactly convincing... not because of the actors but because their behavior is just strange and... unprofessional? not sure it's the right word. This show really reminds of MuntantX... and not in a good way. They would probably be ok in some alternate reality but the show seems a bit abstract without any good explanation for why.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I actually quite enjoyed the show, and I am looking forward to see where it goes.

Obviously not the best television programing out there, but for what it was I think it was okay. I will reserve final judgement until I've seen a few episodes. So many times I've found that even if the first episode seems lacking, it can pick up after a couple episodes.

Brids of Prey from WB was one example. The first few episodes were awful, but by the time the series was cancelled I was truly sad that it was ending. I was glad that I stuck around though, instead of tuning out just because the first episode was pretty bad.

I think it will be the same thing here. I get the feeling that this will be more of a character driven show, and I think once I start to really care for the characters, I'll enjoy the show even more, and be more forgiving of it's shortcomings.

Comment

Working...
                                X