Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like animation, Corpse Bride's worth a try. I really liked it, and it's not a kiddie movie.
    sigpic

Comment

Would any of the Pirate movies do?

Comment

Im thinking of something like Final Fantasy I-VI

Comment

Another vote for Willow and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
          sigpic

Comment

Add another vote for Willow. Hell of a movie.

I'd also recommend Krull. I liked it!
            War... war never changes

Comment

If you're into swords, they're certainly featured in the Highlander movies. And there's definitely fantasy elements there. (Ok, ok, so I've never seen any of the Highlander movies, but I watched the show as a kid, and I was a fan, and I'm aware of the gist of the movies.)
              sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Originally posted by AcidSquid View Post
                I want a good epic, not LOTR, something with epicness.
                I don't want Narnia or Harry Potter, nothing with kids in it.
                Do you like eastern films? There's a lot of fantastic Hong Kong and Japnese films out there that is just amazing in terms of mythology, gods and legends.
                sigpic

Comment

Oooh! The Dark Crystal!! Now there's an epic fantasy movie!!

I used to love that damn movie...

Originally posted by Cat_the_Alien View Post
                  Willow. Not so much epic as in 20 hours long, but its very, very fantasy. Something right out of a novel, so well conceptualized to the screen. Kind of old school, but definitely still awesome. (And trust me, I know fantasy. I consider myself a conneseuir of sorts. )

Also, another vote for Princess Bride.

Not too many pure fantasy movies out there, and even fewer good ones. A lot of the "fantasy" movies you see on the shelves are really sci-fi.
                  Awesome recommendation for Willow - I used to love that film too. One of the few films in which I liked Val Kilmer and he wasn't an annoying ****. My mate was an extra in that film too.... and he lied and said he could ride a horse when he couldn't and they put him on a horse as one of the evil army soldiers and had him galloping wildly down a snow-covered mountain-side - he was pretty much out of control and just hanging on for dear life!

Princess Bride also is definitely a classic movie - some of the best quotable lines ever. It's a litmus test for what age/generation people are if you say to them "Hallo" and they reply, "My name is Inigo Montoya..."
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah willow is a great film there is also the Labyrinth is a good fantasy film it's old but good.
                    sigpic

Comment

Most of Studio Ghibli's films (anime) are fantasy but they almost always feature children. They need to be recommended though; all of the movies are fantastic. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle are all great recent releases.

Neverending Story is excellent fantasy world stuff, but both protagonists are boys.

Time Bandits is quirky and wonderful, but again the protagonist is a boy. Arrgh!

Comment

I don't know if they could be considered epic but a couple of my favorites are Ladyhawke, Conan the Barbarian and the old Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies.
                        Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

you want a big action totaly awsome sword neato movie Advent Children has my vote!!!!

Comment

An amazing looking fantasy film called "Pan's Labyrinth" is coming out after christmas, definitly looks worth checking out. Just be warned that it is not for children and does have an "R" rating.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pans_labyrinth/

Comment

Do not waste your money on this movie. It was awful.
                              We're whalers on the moon,
                              We carry a harpoon.
                              But there ain't no whales
                              So we tell tall tales
                              And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

What about Excalibur, now that's got plenty of sword swiping action! The epic nature of Wagner's music is used effictively to heighten the drama. One of my favourite 'sword and sorcery' epics of the 80's.

Willow is up there too, another vote for that one!

Comment

Working...
                                X