No announcement yet.

Buffy/Angel Season by Season Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this thread appears to have died a long time ago.

But, being the Buffy and Angel fan I am/was, I'm resurrecting it

My favourite character from both shows, is Spike hands down. I watched Buffy from the beginning, and when Season 3 ended and Angel left I was like "WTF?!". Thank god for Spin offs I say

Angel, clearly, the best entire season, was season 4. That entire season was clearly thought out from start to finish, and it explained the series and everything that happened upto then perfectly. Nothing beats the throwdown on that hotel rooftop in ep 7, "Apocalypse Nowish".

My favourite quote, that I can remember, was from season 5, where Spike is training with Illyria:
    Spoiler:

*Illyria punches Spike in the face*
    Spike: Owww. Ok, we need to lay down some ground rules.
    Spike: One, no more punching me in the face!
    Spike: Two, when I punch you in the face, you're supposed to tell me how you feel, so I can write it down, on my clipboard.
    Spike: Three, no touching my clipboard!

..best

chem

Comment

Originally posted by chemicalNova View Post
      Well, this thread appears to have died a long time ago.

But, being the Buffy and Angel fan I am/was, I'm resurrecting it

My favourite character from both shows, is Spike hands down. I watched Buffy from the beginning, and when Season 3 ended and Angel left I was like "WTF?!". Thank god for Spin offs I say

Angel, clearly, the best entire season, was season 4. That entire season was clearly thought out from start to finish, and it explained the series and everything that happened upto then perfectly. Nothing beats the throwdown on that hotel rooftop in ep 7, "Apocalypse Nowish".

My favourite quote, that I can remember, was from season 5, where Spike is training with Illyria:
      Spoiler:

*Illyria punches Spike in the face*
      Spike: Owww. Ok, we need to lay down some ground rules.
      Spike: One, no more punching me in the face!
      Spike: Two, when I punch you in the face, you're supposed to tell me how you feel, so I can write it down, on my clipboard.
      Spike: Three, no touching my clipboard!

..best

chem
      LOVE that scene.

I have to disagree about season four though- I think that is my least favourite season, mainly because the last part of the Jasmin story just didn't quite.....work. It wasn't as exciting and engaging a story as we have come to expect from Joss. However, a weak season of Angel is generally better then a strong season of most of the shows out there.

I thought season five was absolutly amazing- the addition of Spike and the fantastic character arcs for everyone throughout that season makes for some wonderful viewing.

Comment

Its weird, S4 has more of my favorite episodes than any other season of Angel, but as an entire Season I felt it was very weak, and seemed to be trying to fit way too much in to one season as possible. My favorite has to be S5, the storylines are incredible, from the basics at Wolfram and Hart, to Illyria, to the Black Thorn, it felt like it flowed perfectly, and revealed that what seemed to be a lot of indevidual episodes and storylines, was really one massive arc that had been going all season. Its definately the best to watch back too IMO
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
          Its weird, S4 has more of my favorite episodes than any other season of Angel, but as an entire Season I felt it was very weak, and seemed to be trying to fit way too much in to one season as possible. My favorite has to be S5, the storylines are incredible, from the basics at Wolfram and Hart, to Illyria, to the Black Thorn, it felt like it flowed perfectly, and revealed that what seemed to be a lot of indevidual episodes and storylines, was really one massive arc that had been going all season. Its definately the best to watch back too IMO
          It is, and I loved how the racket ball devil demon, and the ones after the baby and the ones from the Halloween party all fit in at the end- really didn't see that coming at all. It really was seamless.

I don't know so much about individual eps from season four, I think I missed the three best.

Comment

Again..... YAY! I just bought ANGEL season 5 for $17.99+tax in Circuit City!.. it's half-price, I think they're having a sale for this week. I post this in the other thread.... but I'm still hyper-happy
            Can't watch it now though! maybe on the weekend.

I gotta say my fave is ANGEL Season 5, it has everything humor, drama, action, angst *sigh* I really really wish we've got to see season 6 or even 7, coz that would be awesome.
            Spoiler:
            I heard Oz (Seth Green) supposed to come back to help Nina deal with her werewolf-ish, Fred would be back & get separated from Illyria, don't know about Wesley but I really hope he'd come back too, his death is too sad I really thought Gunn is the one who died, but of course Joss gotta mess with our mind

I admire Season 4 big-long story arch, it's kinda like watching a 22 hours movie / mini-seres. But, yeah... the Jasmine thing is kinda bleh! except when Angel/Connor sing 'Oh Jasmine' together, that's hilarious!
            sigpic
            sig.by : lilferret

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              It is, and I loved how the racket ball devil demon, and the ones after the baby and the ones from the Halloween party all fit in at the end- really didn't see that coming at all. It really was seamless.

I don't know so much about individual eps from season four, I think I missed the three best.
              Izzy! I love him... see how he pick his tail when he wants to sit ??

Yeah... I think around the time when they shoot the Halloween episode, they didn't know that the show would be cancelled, Joss prolly have other interesting ideas for them, but he had to crammed them up together for the last four/five episodes

Practically everyone of BlackThorne is funny, well.. evil really! but they're funny... like ArchDuke Sebasis (?) with his peepee demons, how creepy it is to watch him drink that blue-blood thing ,
              Spoiler:
              we think he's the most difficult to kill, turned out he's the easiest!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L-JADE View Post
                Izzy! I love him... see how he pick his tail when he wants to sit ??

Yeah... I think around the time when they shoot the Halloween episode, they didn't know that the show would be cancelled, Joss prolly have other interesting ideas for them, but he had to crammed them up together for the last four/five episodes

Practically everyone of BlackThorne is funny, well.. evil really! but they're funny... like ArchDuke Sebasis (?) with his peepee demons, how creepy it is to watch him drink that blue-blood thing ,
                Spoiler:
                we think he's the most difficult to kill, turned out he's the easiest!
                Sebasis- I loved that, it was so funny. The demons in Angel season five I thought were really nicely polished as characters even when they only appeared in a few scenes.

and the politician lady
                Spoiler:
                who Gun axed....I loved how she kept talking on the phone as Gun fought all the vamps in the campaign office.

And one of my favourite moments in the entire series was in the alst episode when
                Spoiler:
                Lorne shot Lindsey- perfect death for that character, and the way he was in denial at the end about Angel not being the one to kill him. And of course Lorne's wonderful exit. That was a beautifully done scene.

Comment

Sebasis- I loved that, it was so funny. The demons in Angel season five I thought were really nicely polished as characters even when they only appeared in a few scenes.

and the politician lady
                  Spoiler:
                  who Gun axed....I loved how she kept talking on the phone as Gun fought all the vamps in the campaign office.
                  Yes, Sebasis was a dignified old-demon, he has a 'presence' remember how Lorne bowing at him
                  The Warlock isn't bad either (forgot the name) but he looks like a cancerous smoker... sounds like one too
                  The Politician Lady is not funny at all, strangely the only woman & basically human of the group and Joss made her not funny, the others have quips or quirks, but this lady is pure b!tch-y, really a senator from hell I think she represents Joss' political view

And one of my favourite moments in the entire series was in the alst episode when
                  Spoiler:
                  Lorne shot Lindsey- perfect death for that character, and the way he was in denial at the end about Angel not being the one to kill him. And of course Lorne's wonderful exit. That was a beautifully done scene.
                  Oh yeah! that one is one big surprise....
                  Spoiler:
                  I still don't get what's Angel real reason for killing Lindsey, he's not really evil per se... I think Lilah is way more evil and Angel didn't kill her. Lindsey even have good-bone in him.. at least several time, he is 'good'. I feel that Joss killed him for surprise factor & to give an exit for Lorne, not really in conjuction to the story.

I hate to think howmuch unfinished business/matter in Angel would never get solved like :
                  - Wesley father
                  - Numero Cinco Sun-tallisman
                  - Nina <--- I don't really like her, but she's been protected by the Angel team, what happen after that's gone ??
                  - The Sanshu prophecy, Angel did sign it off, but he signed it with Angel, and his real name is Liam... that should be void, right ??
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Dont even get me started on that scene, I can talk for days on why I think that is one of the best in the entire season. In fact, that episode had another of my favorite scenes, the Wes/Illyria one, not at the end, but the "No perfect day for me" one after Angel's speach, a brilliant scene that summed up 5 seasons of character growth for Wes.

As for a S6 and 7, they would have been brilliant, but I think Not Fade Away is the perfect ending for Angel, so I would still have wanted that to be the finale, no matter what season it all ended on.

Personally I still recommend the Virtual Series 6 and 7 (still incomplete) on Monster Zero, a brilliant piece of work by all involved which continued the series equally as well as it would have been by Joss IMO. I just want to read the last 5 episodes of S7 and then their upcoming movie "Angel: Broken Wings"
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

Dont even get me started on that scene, I can talk for days on why I think that is one of the best in the entire season. In fact, that episode had another of my favorite scenes, the Wes/Illyria one, not at the end, but the "No perfect day for me" one after Angel's speach, a brilliant scene that summed up 5 seasons of character growth for Wes.

As for a S6 and 7, they would have been brilliant, but I think Not Fade Away is the perfect ending for Angel, so I would still have wanted that to be the finale, no matter what season it all ended on.

Personally I still recommend the Virtual Series 6 and 7 (still incomplete) on Monster Zero, a brilliant piece of work by all involved which continued the series equally as well as it would have been by Joss IMO. I just want to read the last 5 episodes of S7 and then their upcoming movie "Angel: Broken Wings"
                      Oh I agree- I love both the Wes and Illyria scenes in the epsiode, *cough*one of them will have my full endorsement in a certain upcoming tournament. Wesley was such a tragic character, even from the beginning. He started out trying so hard to fit in and look cool, but even when he eventually did, things just never ever worked out for poor Wes.

Not Fade Away was the perfect ending for the show, I think it ended in exactly the spirit of the show, making it's mission statement in the best way possible- I really don't think I'd have it any other way. A neat little bow tying up every little story just wouldn't work on this show, Not Fade Away made the show feel bigger then, well.....a show.

Comment

Hmmm... Upcoming Tourney! *wink* I should hope Joss' version of death-scenes would rule the tourney er... maybe I should put this smiley --->
                        Spoiler:

I'll be sooo torn between Fred death-scene or Wes death-scene... *sobs* both are just beautifully done.. come to think of it...
                        - Lindsey death
                        - Lilah death
                        - Doyle death
                        - Buffy death (S5)
                        - Angel death (BTVS S2)
                        - Tara death
                        ... darn it! it'll be messy.....
                        sigpic

Comment

About the one in Buffy S2
                          Spoiler:
                          I don't believe that Angel died, he went to hell but he didnt die, so he wouldnt be an option.

As for who'll win that tourney, Jadzia Dax from DS9 is going to be a strong contender, but I'm supporting Wes for the emotion of the scene.

Also, don't be forgetting Connor, who did die in 4x22

but yes, Joss' many deaths will certainly do well IMO

Comment

About the one in Buffy S2
                            Spoiler:
                            I don't believe that Angel died, he went to hell but he didnt die, so he wouldnt be an option.

As for who'll win that tourney, Jadzia Dax from DS9 is going to be a strong contender, but I'm supporting Wes for the emotion of the scene.

Also, don't be forgetting Connor, who did die in 4x22

but yes, Joss' many deaths will certainly do well IMO
                            Without doubt.....

I'll be very much torn between

Spoiler:
                            Lindsey and Wesley, for starters. Jeez. Two of my fav deaths ever- in the SAME episode!

And Lilah's death.....was that ever awsome. Anyone have the exact quote of what "Cordelia" said in that scene? I just remember it being hysterically funny and scary all at once.

And then there's Wash's death! Eek! How does one choose.....

Comment

Interesting Note: Joss considers the fight between Buffy and Angel at the end of "Amends" to be some of the best writing he will ever do. The best line being...

Spoiler:
                              "It's not the demon in me that needs killing, Buffy. It's the man."

"Amends" is still one of my all time favorites from the series so I'd probably agree.
                              sigpic
                              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Yeah, I have to agree, stunning episode, Angel at his peak for BtVS IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X