This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trinity1013
    @ibwolf - thanks a lot for satisfying my curiosity with that story. Now I can enjoy my weekend and don't have to think about it 24/7.
    Well you're easy to satisfy err... that didn't come out right

You could be right, but I think they're not doing so great at balancing lately. More and more people seem to be annoyed and turn into anti-shippers.
    Agreed. This is probably because the writers just don't know what the frell to do with it anymore (which is probably the reason they brought in Pete)

Not wanting to offend anyone, I still say romance novels are rubbish. I neither know why women (or anyone, for that matter) reads or writes that kind of stuff.
    Don't ever read them myself, but that's besides the point. The point was that romance novels are largely written by and for women.

Which also works the other way round, then, doesn't it? I am more likely to not behave like the majority of my gender do because I don't want to fit in, because I want to distance myself from sappy love stories and typical "femaleness". Then again, I don't think I watch sci-fi or any "male" genre simply because I want to deviate, to be a "rebel", especially because what you get as a woman watching "Stargate" is your ("Gilmore Girls"- and "The Bold and the Beautiful"-loving) female friends asking you "you really like that (referring to "Stargate")? WHY?". A part of me might like not being like other women in that respect but if sci-fi wouldn't do anything for me, I wouldn't desperately try to like it, just because I don't like the other "extreme" either.
    Most human beings strive to fit in. It's a fundamental part of our physcy (sp?). There will always be exceptions, and it's is a gradual scale, not black and white. But most people will try to 'fit in'. We like to feel that we belong. Just our nature.

Of course that wont make you like SF or whatnot. It will just make you a hell of a lot more likely to give it a fair shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
      Well you're easy to satisfy err... that didn't come out right .
      LOL

This is probably because the writers just don't know what the frell to do with it anymore (which is probably the reason they brought in Pete)
      Yeah, because, contrary to myself , most shippers are hard to satisfy and they get tired of the postponing technique. I think "Stargate" has a pretty good "excuse" for that in S&J being military (much better an excuse than, for example, X-Files or J.A.G. have/had) and I find nothing wrong in a bit of teasing (now this really starts to be - unintentionally, I swear! - innuendo-filled ) but people do want to see a growth of some sort in the ship, they have to mean more to each other than the season before, this kind of stuff and before they go over the top too soon they push the reset button, which, I agree, is Pete here.

Don't ever read them myself, but that's besides the point.
      Neither did I (well, not more than a few pages, anyway) but most of my friends who admit that they do don't really admit that they like it, they play it down by saying "I just need something dumb to relax". That's what I don't like. If you're into romance novels/"The Bold and the Beautiful" or something like that, at least admit that you enjoy it and don't be embarrassed. Then again, it's probably people like me who make women like my friends feel embarrassed but, in my defence, they also make watching "Stargate" look like a crime.

Most human beings strive to fit in. It's a fundamental part of our physcy (sp?).
      I think you mean 'psyche'.

But most people will try to 'fit in'. We like to feel that we belong. Just our nature.
      Well, then that's what this thread is for - making me feel I belong, not that I'm some kind of wacko for liking what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
        It would seem as though that the majority (and I know there are some of you awesome girls out there) of females like scifi, are really drawn to the whole love arch behind the storyline.

That doesn't work. If I was only drawn to the love arch I would be watching Lifetime movies & reading Harlequin romances, not sci-fi. Even when there is romance it's not the main focus of any sci-fi I've ever seen.

While a "love arch" may not be a detraction for me, it is most definately not why I enjoy sci-fi. I don't go into any of them expecting a love story.

Comment

Originally Posted by aschen
          It would seem as though that the majority (and I know there are some of you awesome girls out there) of females like scifi, are really drawn to the whole love arch behind the storyline.
          I can't speak for the others of my gender, but this particular female was most definitely not drawn to Stargate because of the ship. I am in no way, shape or form, anti-ship, nor am I gung-ho pro-ship. If ship happens, fine, I'll take it(and defend its right to exist), and if it doesn't happen I won't even notice, as long as the story is a good one, for it is the story, the potential for human endeavor, the discovery, the mirror into our society's soul that I enjoy in any good SF.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            this isn't exactly a place to get an accurate answer because the majority of online fans in stargate are female.

Most of the lists are populated by females, even a good majority of the attendees of gatecon were women
            Okay, so why then is this so? If the majority of sci-fi fans are male, why are the majority of online sci-fi fans female? And, doesn't it contrast rather sharply with how aAnubiSs sees this, that...
            Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            there are more male programmers because computers overall is a "male" thing.
            ?

As for the answers I get here not being able to represent the true nature of things, I was aware of that, the idea was not so much one of a poll with clear answers, I just wanted to know about people's feeling about and experiences with this topic and also not only if they themselves felt they (didn't) fit the stereotype but how people they know fit/don't fit in.

Comment

Okay, so why then is this so? If the majority of sci-fi fans are male, why are the majority of online sci-fi fans female? And, doesn't it contrast rather sharply with how aAnubiSs sees this, that...
              Perhaps Stargate has an unusually large (for a SF show) female following? I'm just speculating here. I had never heard that "the majority of online fans in stargate are female" before...

Comment

I had never heard that "the majority of online fans in stargate are female" before...
                Well, Skydiver's a Mod, so s/he gotta know. I have absolutely no overview of all the people here, whether they're m or f, that is, so I believe it.

Perhaps Stargate has an unusually large (for a SF show) female following? I'm just speculating here.
                Could be. But why? I mean, for those who now want to list all the attractive fe/male actors/actresses on the show: other sci-fi shows do have good-looking casts, too. What differentiates "Stargate" from other sci-fi shows that makes it more interesting for women?

Comment

Well, Skydiver's a Mod, so s/he gotta know. I have absolutely no overview of all the people here, whether they're m or f, that is, so I believe it.
                  Well, people aren't asked to give up their gender upon registration so (aside from having been here longer) s/he wouldn't have any more info... Maybe there was a poll sometime before I joined?

Could be. But why? I mean, for those who now want to list all the attractive fe/male actors/actresses on the show: other sci-fi shows do have good-looking casts, too. What differentiates "Stargate" from other sci-fi shows that makes it more interesting for women?
                  Not sure why. I'm pretty sure that it's not related to 'eye candy'. Probably a combination of the 'feel' of the show, the characters and their interactions and how people relate to any of them.

Just as a bit of empherical evidence. My mother (who got me started reading SF at an early age) considers SG to be the best SF show pretty much ever. My brother and I on the other hand - while enjoying it immensely - would not hesitate to put both B5 and Farscape ahead of Stargate. For whatever reasons those shows speak more to us....

Comment

Well, people aren't asked to give up their gender upon registration so (aside from having been here longer) s/he wouldn't have any more info... Maybe there was a poll sometime before I joined?
                    Maybe s/he was judging from the usernames? Talking about it, you gave me an idea with your "username story", namely asking people what their usernames mean/why they chose them. Think there are other people out there who'd tell me? I'm turning you into my babysitter, amn't I? Sorry.

I'm pretty sure that it's not related to 'eye candy'.
                    Me, too. Otherwise, they'd be (half-)naked more often. Then again, the stereotype says that men are more easily affected/attracted by that kind of stuff anyway (okay, reading a bit of the "thunk" threads here, you don't get that impression) but from personal experience I get the idea that attractiveness of actors/actresses plays a huge role in somebody's decision whether or not to watch a show/movie.

My mother (who got me started reading SF at an early age) considers SG to be the best SF show pretty much ever. My brother and I on the other hand - while enjoying it immensely - would not hesitate to put both B5 and Farscape ahead of Stargate. For whatever reasons those shows speak more to us....
                    That's interesting indeed. I've never seen a lot of "B5" but quite a bit of "Farscape", until they stopped showing it here. That was a long time ago, though, so I couldn't say what exactly would make it less attractive for women in comparison to "Stargate". What does your mother say?

Comment

Maybe s/he was judging from the usernames? Talking about it, you gave me an idea with your "username story", namely asking people what their usernames mean/why they chose them. Think there are other people out there who'd tell me? I'm turning you into my babysitter, amn't I? Sorry.
                      I'm quite certain I have no idea what you are talking about

In any case, most of the people posting here seem to have a Stargate related nick so there isn't much there. But maybe others have something of a story *shrugs* couldn't hurt.

Me, too. Otherwise, they'd be (half-)naked more often.
                      Umm....... err let's not go there.

Then again, the stereotype says that men are more easily affected/attracted by that kind of stuff anyway (okay, reading a bit of the "thunk" threads here, you don't get that impression) but from personal experience I get the idea that attractiveness of actors/actresses plays a huge role in somebody's decision whether or not to watch a show/movie.
                      For me it is the last thing I'd consider. Sure having a good looking woman doesn't hurt a show but I'd never let it influence my viewing beyond maybe being more likely to give such a show a chance...

That's interesting indeed. I've never seen a lot of "B5" but quite a bit of "Farscape", until they stopped showing it here. That was a long time ago, though, so I couldn't say what exactly would make it less attractive for women in comparison to "Stargate". What does your mother say?
                      Just that she likes SG more. Nothing more concrete then that I'm afraid.

Comment

But maybe others have something of a story *shrugs* couldn't hurt.
                        Thanks for the "encouragement". I'm bored and hope others are, too, so I'll just do it.

On (half-)nudity:
                        I always found the character of Anise/Freya and her clothing (rather lack thereof) a bit strange. Not that I felt offended or anything, it was just weird. This has nothing to do with me being a woman, though, I didn't really like the way they re-introduced Daniel either. Okay, it made sense that he wouldn't have clothes but still it was kinda unnecessary.

For me it is the last thing I'd consider. Sure having a good looking woman doesn't hurt a show but I'd never let it influence my viewing beyond maybe being more likely to give such a show a chance...
                        What about the other way round? Does having an ugly wo/man as a main character hurt a show?

Comment

This thread is turning into a dialoge

On (half-)nudity:
                          I always found the character of Anise/Freya and her clothing (rather lack thereof) a bit strange. Not that I felt offended or anything, it was just weird. This has nothing to do with me being a woman, though, I didn't really like the way they re-introduced Daniel either. Okay, it made sense that he wouldn't have clothes but still it was kinda unnecessary.
                          She said in one of the eps. that her culture had a different attitude to sex and sexuality (or something along those lines) so I guess it fits in with that. I certainly didn't mind her wardrobe

What about the other way round? Does having an ugly wo/man as a main character hurt a show?
                          Can't really think of a suitable example I would like to think that that wouldn't be the case in my instance. If the story is good and engaging then everything else is secondary. But somehow I doubt any TV exec would ever put on a show where the only lead female was actually "ugly". At least not if it was intended to capture the young males demo.

Comment

This thread is turning into a dialoge
                            Yep, and you're talking much faster than I am. I can hardly keep up! Not that I mind...

She said in one of the eps. that her culture had a different attitude to sex and sexuality (or something along those lines) so I guess it fits in with that. I certainly didn't mind her wardrobe
                            Do you mean what she said when she kissed Jack in "Divide and Conquer"? I don't know if that's the same. The other Tok'ras are not that revealingly dressed, are they?

But somehow I doubt any TV exec would ever put on a show where the only lead female was actually "ugly". At least not if it was intended to capture the young males demo.
                            Yeah, although there's the thing with personal preference, too. But some people are just ugly, and most people agree to that, so I guess they'd never take someone like that. Although it was a comedy, perhaps. And then the poor one would be made fun of.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              this isn't exactly a place to get an accurate answer because the majority of online fans in stargate are female.

Most of the lists are populated by females, even a good majority of the attendees of gatecon were women
                              Really?? That's crazy! :O I would never have thought that the majority of SG-1 fans are females. O_O

Comment

I don't know if this is relevent, but anyway here is my two cents...

Being a female Scifi fan, I get made fun of by my female non Scifi friends...but that is besides my point.

Up until this year I only knew one other Sg-1 fan which was my roommate. Until I recently stopped caring about how my friends would tease me about being a SG-1 geek, so I would declare my love for sg-1, and out of the blue a friend of mine came out out saying "stargate sg-1 rocks!" and how much he loved it. And this happend again with another guy friend of mine.

It's like a lot of guys (at least the ones I'm acquainted with) are so to speak "in the closet" fans of Stargate. It could be the result of male ego, but who knows.
                                ~Athena

Comment

Working...
                                X