No announcement yet.

"Andromeda" Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well obviously he's alot smarter then you are, since you whine about him and still manage to break the most important rule here on GW.

FYI 13 eps/season is thestandard in Canada, or atleast it used to be. We're seeing a change now, maybe it will stay or they'll return to 13eps/season.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN
      I was checking out TV Tome and saw that it looked like there is just 13 eps for Andromeda for season 5. Now I already know that the new Battlestar Galactica was set for 13 as well.

I have to ask... what the HELL are these people smoking? 13 eps seems like nothing more than crunching the story too much. Can you image what would have happened to Stargate for seasons 2,3 & 4's storylines if they did just 13 eps. How about Seasons 5-8 and the whole Anubis storyline. Point is a lot of good "misc" eps will never be produced as a result I believe. If SG-1 was 13 eps would they have done Window of Opportunity and Wormhole Extreme? I thought 'Window of Opportunity' was one of the funniest eps ever made of SG-1.

Anyways, anyone know anything about reasons why shows are getting cut? Sucks I already get half a season of 'The Shield'. It used to be the norm to do 22-24 eps. Now we here SG-1 and Atlantis are cut to 20 next season. Is it just me or do I get the feeling the TV industry is going to completely wipe out all original TV in favor of crap reality shows?
      With the exception of half-seasons (starting mid-season, or whatever) the number of episodes produced in a season is determined by the budget. I've noticed, too, that many series (not just SG-1) have been cutting down on the number of episodes they produce. The costs of making an episode are astronomical. And if they decide to shoot off-site from the studio sound stages, the costs grow exponentially. The determining factor is simple, and it's green: money.

Comment

Originally posted by David85
        I normally would but when this one dumbass comes here and starts talking **** about things he has no clue about, he deserves what he gets.
        I have to ask.. WTF is your problem? You added nothing to the discussion but to show what kind of jerk you could be. People like you make these forums pointless. You act as if I personally offended some opionion or idea of YOURS. So with that in mind, since I asked a general quesion with a general state, for you to respond really shows what your character is.

Besides, rocket4477 already said all so there was absolutely NO point for you to even respond.

Comment

BSG(N) is only 13 episodes long, because the show cost a pretty penny to make I'm sure. Look at all those Visual Effect shots (CG). Mad money. Anyway, Andromdeda....does anyone still watch that show?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by SBN
            I have to ask.. WTF is your problem? You added nothing to the discussion but to show what kind of jerk you could be. People like you make these forums pointless. You act as if I personally offended some opionion or idea of YOURS. So with that in mind, since I asked a general quesion with a general state, for you to respond really shows what your character is.

Besides, rocket4477 already said all so there was absolutely NO point for you to even respond.

[mod snip]

This is nothing new, if shows cost too much they get cut down. QaF had 20 episodes season 1, now it has 13 season 5. Stargate went from 22 to 20. The OC was a huge hit and they order extra episodes to make season 1 have 27 episodes. It's the way things work. I'm waiting until next year when they make Lost 13 episodes because it cost a lot.

BSG cost a lot to make, so be happy they are making the show at all. They can cancel it at any time if the shows ratings aren't that well and cost too much. So stop your whining. SCi-Fi might be dumb, but their planning for the shows are right because they know they can't compeat with the other channels.
            Last edited by Madeleine; 31 December 2004, 07:55 PM. Reason: Removal of flamey bits.
            It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

"So here, READ it. And if you can't get your mommie to."

Why don't you just explain WTF your hostility is about? Frankly, first of all you seem to not understand at all the intention of this post to begin with. Is it because I callled reality shows crap? Did I offend your love of Survivor? Frankly you have added nothing to this post, besides pissing me off pal. If you have such a $#$%ing problem with me for whatever reason, you have the right just to ignore me. No one is forcing you to read or even reply. Frankly there is a lot of crap I see written here that I would love to respond to, but for the most part I old off because I have respect for the community at large, and no one cares to read crap like you bring forth. In one word - maturity.

Comment

Guys, guys. Let's tone it down, okay. Let's do our best to keep this a friendly Forum.

Happy New Year.

Rocket4477
                Rocky

Comment

rocket4477 - I agree, this needs to stop. David85 whatever I may have said to make you so angry I am sorry, if you do not like me or like what I have to say then please just ignore me.

Anyways, I want to bring this back on topic.

I never really noticed short seasons until I started watching shows like Sopranos, The Shield, etc.. Interesting to see in Canada this is the norm. To me the norm seemed to be 22-24 eps in a year. From what I read some time ago 22 eps would allow a full season, then full re-run of the season, with some days available for 'special' events, news, or other shows. Plus, a lot of shows always take breaks during holiday season as viewership goes down doesnt it?

I will say the one thing David85 said that is important to note is the cost of shows. With international viewership one could assume that cost per episode to whatever channel would go down. Years back show like Magnum P.I. would be paid for by CBS alone. But a lot of shows, especially syndicated are shown worldwide so I assume that must bring the cost down. Or is it the same and expenses have just risen. I know shows like Earth Final Conflict and Andromeda would never have stayed alive had they been shown just in the US.

Anyways, my point as a viewer is it is too bad if shows did get cut down on their number of eps. I thought about this when I heard SG and Atlantis were cut to 20. I am just thankfull the NFL doesnt have 22-24 games, I couldnt stand to watch my team lose more games!

Comment

Originally posted by SBN
                    {it} is important to note is the cost of shows. With international viewership one could assume that cost per episode to whatever channel would go down. Years back show like Magnum P.I. would be paid for by CBS alone. But a lot of shows, especially syndicated are shown worldwide so I assume that must bring the cost down. Or is it the same and expenses have just risen.
                    I wouldn't know about expenses rising; but has the number of channels available risen? If there's increased competition then that means lower advertising revenue. It's certainly been that way in the UK; ten years ago most of us had four channels, and only two of those carried ads. Now a large number of us have hundreds, and most are commercial channels, all competing, and the impact on the main terrestrial commercial broadcaster is very noticeable.

Also, while US shows used to be purchased by BBC1 or ITV and shown here at 7.30 or 8, (Dallas era) nowadays they are bought by BBC2, C4 or one of the satelite channels, and aired at 6 or 11 to much smaller target audiences. That would indicate to me that unless the number of countries who buy shows is much higher now, there's as good a chance that international revenue is falling as that it's rising.
                    Last edited by Madeleine; 31 December 2004, 08:11 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

BSG got a 13-episode order because it's very expensive, and it's a mid-season replacement for SCI FI. It's also not an entirely proven commodity, and the network has quite a bit of its limited budget already sunk into Stargate.

Andromeda will do a full season -- but since it's still in production, nobody has a full list of episode titles yet. GW tries to stay on the cutting edge with our episode guide.
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I know everyone is saying that BSG is expensive but in reality I think the real reason is it is an untested show, as with most networks new shows are given small runs of 8-12 shows to start with if they prove that they can bring in ratings and keep them they are given a full season run, though I don't know for sure I would venture a guess to say that the same is true for BSG if it brings in good ratings the season my be extended or the next season my have more eps.

Comment

The new Doctor Who TV series will be 13 episodes also for Season 1.

Comment

That's normal for the UK. A series is often shorter still, many are only six eps long, qv Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, The Office...

Madeleine

Comment

Fawlty Towers. Good times. Good times.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

You only need so many episodes if the writing and continuity is right. Look at The Sopranos or even Oz (8 episodes per season!). If you break it down. Stargate only has a few episodes per season that are part of the original plot. There's a host of stand-alone eps and eps that are sequels/continuations to earlier standalone eps. It's still nice to have quantity, though.
                                Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
                                http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

Working...
                                X