This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Sonny for the info and link.

But I think that if most people were asked to define sci-fi that it would include what you are calling fantasy, and in my mind sci-fi is fantasy! Despite its use of scientific data to develop setting the setting themselves are merely extensions of fantasy upon which basis scientific information can be gleamed to justify elements of construct within the setting.

But as you said, the important point is continuity. To develop a storyline that breechs what is current science requires developing a regularity that either continues to affront current thought or logic or that reinforces the limitations that current science is saddled with. An illustration is in the Lawnmower Man movies where continuity is an extension of a disjuncted mind which in itself becomes the victim of its own irregularity.

While challenging the thought of current science may be difficult in light of publication restrictions or market specs
    the success of such a storyline is entirely dependent upon the effective of the story, not on whether light is bent towards a gravitational field or away from it. If the story is enticing even with the use of nonhumanoid characters and is marketed successfully then publication issues are nominal.

So I continue to push towards nonlinear thought and away from the limitations that measurements and the interplay of physics and geometry make upon our sense of what we are.

What da . . . ? ? ?

Comment

Originally posted by terrestrial_man
      But I think that if most people were asked to define sci-fi that it would include what you are calling fantasy, and in my mind sci-fi is fantasy! Despite its use of scientific data to develop setting the setting themselves are merely extensions of fantasy upon which basis scientific information can be gleamed to justify elements of construct within the setting.
      What we in the industry refer to as genre fiction is broadly categorised as speculative fiction or SF. Within this category are fantasy, dark fantasy (horror), cyberpunk, fairy tales, manga...the list goes on. There is also a sub-category called science fiction.

This thread seems to be more about the broader category of speculative fiction, which deals with a broader set of skills. I'll bow out because I am not a fantasy writer and thus, any advice I give would likely come across as too constrictive and possibly contrary to the needs of general speculative fiction writing.

If you can create a gripping story inhabited by realistic characters based on what you're talking about, and it's well written, then there are publishers out there who will love you. Others won't take the risk on cutting edge material, especially if it's too hard to define. For example, in Australia, Harper Collins Voyager imprint generally only produce one or two SF novels annually, because fantasy is selling better at the moment. Horror is virtually dead in the water, so it is being repackaged as dark fantasy.

When you start looking for publishers, you can avoid wasting time, postage stamps and printing ink by identifying your target audience (in the first instance, that's an editor and publisher). There is not much point in submitting, say, a fantasy title to a magazine that deals exclusively in sci fi, or an adult content dark horror tale to a young adult publisher.

Good luck with your writing! It sounds like you're having fun, which is, of course, the main thing.
      Cheers
      Sonny
      www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Sonny for your comments. BUT DO NOT BOW OUT!
        Hope you will do more than just lurk about the thread as your input is needed and definitely of value!! The more so for those participants who have little or no experience in the construction of their unique storyline much less in getting that story from a to z in the real world of pink slips and "we will call you!" ???? Right sometime ?????

As for myself, I favor self-publishing and while my primary experience is with a small monthly fanzine that yours truly edited, layed out, solicited material for, etc. and mailed out at my expense, the opportunities that arise during the discovery of self-publishing makes the experience much more of value in how one perceives the marketplace and understands the interests that seem more arbitrary and flickled than even more stolid publishinghouses have a handle on. Vampires, hobbits, and trolls are only coin of the realm. What I definitely hope to see here is something beyond the Wraith or the Ori or Replicators or even Thor

So lurking out there are the ideas growing into the new stories that may serve as the basis for some cool way out
        cinematic sell-outs!! Well???

Comment

Now here is a little story to begin with:
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...45#post5647645

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1
            This thread seems to be more about the broader category of speculative fiction, which deals with a broader set of skills. I'll bow out because I am not a fantasy writer and thus, any advice I give would likely come across as too constrictive and possibly contrary to the needs of general speculative fiction writing.
            Your advice would be valued, as science fiction is the whole point of this thread! I created this thread for SF writers to share ideas about science fiction, the scientific basis for plotlines, aliens and worldbuilding etc. and to help people put more realism into their stories, as well as generally chat about science fiction writing.

Personally, I just like the creative excersize of speculating about aliens, worlds, and advanced technology.

This thread is about science fiction, rather than science fantasy, which means that it must have a basis in scientific fact. Science fiction that blatently violates the laws of reality can be very jarring to your suspension of disbelief, and can forcefully pull a reader out of their immersion in your fictional world. A reader will accept certain impossible or implausable premises for the sake of entertainment, but won't accept violations of your own premises (ie. plotholes, contradicting established cannon etc.)

See this thread:
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=17795

On an unrelated note, if you want to destroy a planet in your story, you may want to check out this site:
            How to Destory the Earth
            Last edited by Wraith Scientist; 13 August 2006, 02:41 AM.

Comment

A space anomaly is discovered. It turns out to be some sort of temporal anomaly that goes back to 6 billion years ago. An expedition is sent through and they discover that our solar system seems to be missing a planet, namely earth.

Eons into the future, when fabric of the universe has expanded to unimagineable lengths, and all things are freezing to death. The last of the sentient life in the universe builds a time machine to go back to an earlier time so that they could build a device in the center of the universe which would eventually crush it back into a singularity.

Comment

Lately, I've been working on a story involving a world inhabited by telepathic dragon-like natives. They're sentient, which means they can reflect upon the past, think toward the future, influence their world... Kind of like Draco in DragonHeart.

There are certain lakes/springs/ponds that contain minerals which effect rapid healing and improved health and bone strength.

And, a scout team from Earth comes to survey the planet for a colony when they encounter the Draconians, causing fear to boil into a misunderstanding.

It's a mix of Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Dragonriders of Pern.

sigpic
                "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

SCIENCE FICTION?

According to some theologies all science is fiction!

Well excuse me while I kiss the sky! Fantasy rules!

Comment

Working...
                  X