No announcement yet.

Sci Fi, Fantasy, Both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Sci-Fi works better on the small screen but they both work on the big screen.

Comment

Science fiction. Fantasy I only enjoy the really good things, but science fiction I cna read the crappiest in the world without throwing the book away in frustration.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Both equal for me. Fantasy was my first joy and scifi came later, but I think they're are both at the same level now. I probably watch more scifi on TV only because there is more out there. My book collection is 75% fantasy. ^_^ Both awesome!
        "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Yup, my book collection is a lot more Fantasy, but I get more sci-fi from the library. Never watched a Fantasy tv show. I suppose I should give Buffy and Angel a try sometime.

Comment

Wow, I never really thought much about which I liked better. I started out loving Sci-fi by watching it on TV as I got older I also really enjoyed reading Sci-fi. I have always loved reading Fantasy but TV Fantasy shows took me awhile to enjoy and now I like them.
            sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

There are way more good science fiction books, movies, and tv shows than fantasy ones. It's only with computer/video games where the two genres are about even in terms of quality. Plus there are also those great games like Might and Magic that have both fanatasy and science fiction.

Comment

I like both equally.
                I love Stargate and blue jello!!
                "We can only hope that this will be the last footwear to fall"--Thor, from "Unnatural Selection"

Comment

....this is doc from the itunes podcast: Heroes of Science Fiction and Fantasy.....they both go hand-in-hand with me...-movies are split right down the middle....-tv. science fiction, -books fantasy.....but like both regardless...episode 15 is equally balanced: Pan's Labyrinth (Ivana Baquero, Doug Jones, Sergi Lopez, Maribel Verdu, Ariadna Gil, Alex Angulo), Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Jake Lloyd, Ian McDiarmid), The Thing (Kurt Russell, Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Donald Moffatt, Thomas G. Waites, Joel Polis, Peter Maloney, Charles Hallahan, T. K. Carter, Richard Dysart, Richard Masur) Comic Book Section: Daredevil (Marvel comic's background) Book Review: The Iron Tower Trilogy by Dennis L. McKiernan, Others Section: Tombstone (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton) Spotlight Biography: Billy Boyd, Star Trek movie news, 3993 movie news....voicemail 1-206-333-1297 website www.heroesofsciencefictionandfantasy.com

Comment

i agree

there seems to be no difference between sci fi and fantasy

we call it fantasy when the gadets and science are defined by supernatural rules

we call it sci fi when the rules are just out of reach for us but we know somehow through some theory well get there somehow with science

so in the end all fantasy becomes sci fi and all scifi can be retold as fantasy

thanks

The Avidfan
                    Avidffanimation YouTube | AvidffanFiction Youtube | AvidffanAlpha Youtube
                    sigpic

Comment

well, i'm not sure about that, because Sci-fi tends to be speculative, wheras fantasy is fantastic. you don't need scientific logic behind fantasy stories. whereas i dont think i sci-fi book stands up well without the logic.

anyway i'm a sci-fi man through and through,
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Depends on the Tv program or movie.
                        Defining scientific terminology with science jargon seems to rest mostly in the realms of sc-fi, whereas--

Fantasy has a touch of science-fiction attached, and can go anywhere, any time, and any place without being bound up by the laws of someone else's physics set as universal LAW within their mind or definition established by the scientific community.

Fantasy is mostly a lighter version of sci-fi, where the terms are less used and can be altered for that particular storyline's legend(s).

Originally posted by avidfan View Post
                        we call it fantasy when the gadets and science are defined by supernatural rules

we call it sci fi when the rules are just out of reach for us but we know somehow through some theory well get there somehow with science

so in the end all fantasy becomes sci fi and all scifi can be retold as fantasy

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                        well, i'm not sure about that, because Sci-fi tends to be speculative, wheras fantasy is fantastic. you don't need scientific logic behind fantasy stories. whereas i dont think i sci-fi book stands up well without the logic.
                        Here's a few examples of (what my understandings are for) science sci-fi's
                        Star Trek (the entire collective and spin-offs)
                        Battlestar Galactica (the 2003 to current version series)

Mixtures of both--
                        DOCTOR WHO (Fantasy heavy with touches of sci-fi jargons tossed in)
                        Star Wars is a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy with the "jedi" *force* added to the spaceships and weapons used.
                        Stargate SG1 (mostly early season eps = sci-fi heavy with later eps a combo with lighter sci-fi emphasis)
                        Stargate Atlantis (mixed mostly thruout all seasons)

Here's a few fantasy (Tv series) examples in alphabetical order--
                        Adventures of the Lost World
                        Earth: FINAL CONFLICT
                        Highlander (Tv series!)
                        Man from Atlantis (with Patrick Duffy)
                        Sliders
                        The Fantastic Journey (1977)
                        Time Tunnel (saw repeats of it finally on the Good Life channel!)

I never classified BUFFY or ANGEL as *fantasy* -- until I began watching
                        BLOOD TIES, which BT (Blood Ties) is more of a romantic fantasy/detective series (with paranormal / supernatural *cases*).

that should be enough sampler examples for now...

Comment

Not to split hairs, but how is EFC fantasy? The rest of your fantasy choices I'd agree with, but that one I don't understand.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Televised fantasy is definitly not my cup of tea (other than Avatar: The Last Airbender, of course, and that's a cartoon); I'm a Sci-Fi man through and through.

Although, fantasy movies or books may peak my interest from time to time.

Comment

Oh good, I wanted to add a few more to the list... but now I've forgotten again.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                              Depends on the Tv program or movie.
                              Defining scientific terminology with science jargon seems to rest mostly in the realms of sc-fi, whereas--
                              Fantasy is mostly a lighter version of sci-fi, where the terms are less used and can be altered for that particular storyline's legend(s).
                              Here's a few fantasy (Tv series) examples in alphabetical order--
                              Adventures of the Lost World
                              Earth: FINAL CONFLICT
                              Highlander (Tv series!)

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Not to split hairs, but how is EFC fantasy? The rest of your fantasy choices I'd agree with, but that one I don't understand.
                              my own silly question next... how is EFC not fantasy?

I saw it *more* as fantasy than pure sci-fi, mostly because of the creatures within the storylines (Taelons, Jaridians, and the Atavus). . . especially when tossing in Liam into the Sandoval and Liam's Irish mom mix (I forget her name at the moment), and that's where the *fantasy* continues. It was more fantasy level there, than science based, and especially when Liam grew up from a baby into adulthood within 5 to 15 minutes (EFC timeline time). I doubt if there'd be any debates over that from the anti-Liam groups.

I was one of the ones defending Liam's existence, or *right* to live (however).

Over half of the EFC viewers were divided, and mostly angry over Liam's stay, but I think that had more to do with Boone getting the boot by the Tribune network PTB, itself (which I totally understood the anger in viewpoints).

Anyway, I saw the EFC series more *fantasy* based from seasons 2-5, than sci-fi terminology based. I really wasn't sure of which category to put it under, because of that.

... And because of season 5 -- most of the devout Season 1 EFC viewers didn't even want to go there (meaning discussing or watching it at all). Those in my family who saw it even questioned how it suddenly seemed to turn into a BUFFY, the VAMPIRE SLAYER type of program, than what it had been during the evolution of the Taelons and Jaridians before it (Season 5).

Also, if Season 5 still places EFC into a purebred sci-fi, then where does that leave Stargate Atlantis with the Wraith creatures? All Sci-Fi or a combination of both..? again, the Wraith creatures are biologically based hybrids of iratus bug and human, but they are still a form of vampire (which is a more fantasy based type of creature). If vampires are not fantasy based, then they need to be reclassified into the purebred sci-fi category, including their telepathic and manipulative mental skills.

. . . I seem to have studied those (variations of vampire) critters for a long time. I always thought vampires were classified instead in the horror realm, but apparently discovered they are potentially *fantasy* based instead -- by some very devout *vamp* fans. hmmmm.

Comment

It always interests me to see how people see things differently.

For my part, I felt that through most of its run EFC was through and through a sci-fi show. Aliens had come to Earth, new technologies were in use, it examined the human condition in extraordinary circumstances, miraculous things were explained by means of science rather than magic. To me, it was very clearly science fiction.

Still, good on you for depending your POV.

/season 5 was unforgivable
                                //will still buy a complete series box set if one ever comes out
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X