No announcement yet.

Sword Of Truth - anyone read it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured I would resurrect this thread since the newest book in the series, The Omen Machine is being released August 16th.
    sigpic

Comment

I just finished Temple of the Winds. Starting Soul of the Fire soon
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

At first, I didn't mind the series. However, I was younger then. Now, I wouldn't recommend it the series to anyone...
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
          At first, I didn't mind the series. However, I was younger then. Now, I wouldn't recommend it the series to anyone...
          It's certainly not for everyone. I know a lot of readers do not like that Terry always goes back and explains past events over and over again, as it gets repetitive.

I like the characters though, especially one in particular who I can probably say is among my favourites from any book I've read. The 6th book in the series is definitely the stand out.
          sigpic

Comment

I absolutely love this series. I have read some of them twice. Actually I have a special talent of being able to read a book, forget most of it shortly after, then being able to read it again like its new!

Actually I managed to acquire the complete series through used book stores and amazon.ca! It was great once I had the full series and could read them all straight through. Some books are definitely stronger than others but as a whole the series is so detailed.
            sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
            Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
            GateCon Vancouver 2011
            Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Love the series. Have only read the first 8 so far; haven't seen the show yet, though I have the first season.

Comment

Originally posted by offworlder716 View Post
                Love the series. Have only read the first 8 so far; haven't seen the show yet, though I have the first season.
                Just a heads up that the show doesn't closely follow the novels. The main characters are the same but a lot of other aspects are different. I know it received a lot of criticism from fans of the novels for this so it seems like it really is hit or miss for most people.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick
                  Just a heads up that the show doesn't closely follow the novels. The main characters are the same but a lot of other aspects are different. I know it received a lot of criticism from fans of the novels for this so it seems like it really is hit or miss for most people.
                  That's all right. I know I'll enjoy it anyways. I'm very accepting of alternate story routes for beloved characters. Different mediums sometimes require changes so it'll play better for audiences unfamiliar with the source material. It may anger a lot of fans most of the time, but I am one who loves it regardless.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    It's certainly not for everyone. I know a lot of readers do not like that Terry always goes back and explains past events over and over again, as it gets repetitive.

I like the characters though, especially one in particular who I can probably say is among my favourites from any book I've read. The 6th book in the series is definitely the stand out.
                    I found Faith of the Fallen to be too much of a re-hash of Atlas Shrugged, and I think Rand did hers more eloquently. The only thing about the series that I can say I feel I enjoyed was how he tied Confessor with Wizard's First Rule in terms of parallelism. Some of the parallels were quite blatant "Let's make a chase, you and I," but others were more subtle and enjoyable. In terms of writing, you can easily tell that Goodkind enjoys his own fiction. His writing reflected his own internalization of the characters. I'd say that is a dual-edged sword, because too easily his own personal beliefs come across far too strongly from the characters. I found his magic system far too generalized and decentralized for any accurate analysis. It seems to be an overused plot device, in that if Richard needs a form of magic, he has it. We learn additive and subtractive forms of magic, and we learn about different flows of the additive magic, such as ice. However, there seems to be no structure or reason to it, which makes me unappreciative of this form. I also found various characters objectionable and untenable in terms of virtues and vices.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

I know what you mean about the magic and its uses throughout the series. I was thinking similarly when I was reading through them. But on the flip side, I realized it is magic. Why should there be a set structure to it? Isn't that the whole point of something being called magic because it defies general expectations?

With that said, some of the plot near the end of the series was a little bit too convenient due to this magic
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                        I know what you mean about the magic and its uses throughout the series. I was thinking similarly when I was reading through them. But on the flip side, I realized it is magic. Why should there be a set structure to it? Isn't that the whole point of something being called magic because it defies general expectations?

With that said, some of the plot near the end of the series was a little bit too convenient due to this magic
                        On your first comment; this defies rationality, though. A certain "movement" should result in a certain action, and so forth. Our universe has a certain level of structure that is secure. We learn in Blood of the Fold that Han can be divided into certain elemental flows, such as Ice. However, I don't recall ever reading anything further in that area. To make the magic seem more believable, and less of a plot contrivance, there needs to be a certain structure outlined in the books, rather than sticking it in wherever it suits the plot. It's seems more of "movie magic" than "book magic".

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X