Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whereas I usually wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole but found the last series interesting (angsty... which may have somethig to do with it)
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
      whereas I usually wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole but found the last series interesting (angsty... which may have somethig to do with it)
      To each their own, my dear Major, to each their own...

I hear one of the writers - I can't remember his name - is writing an upcoming ep of Dr. Who. Sounds interesting...
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

The series gets a re-run on BBC4 from this Sunday and they're having a themed 1973 week to celebrate. You can find out more here.
        Also the S1 dvd has had it's release date brought forward a few months....to May 15th
        LizWhite.net

Comment

OMG! I saw a preview, but I didn't know about the Dr Who serial. I'll have to plug the plastic box of crap that is my Freeview receiver back in again. It better not cut out like it used to, it'll get a severe malkying if it does!
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

fantastic! AND Dr Who and the green maggots - I'll record that for the Gruesomes. They play "green maggots" in their sleeping bags, but they have no idea why!

sigpic

Comment

Snurched from Futon Critic:

LIFE ON MARS (ABC, New!) - BBC's 2006 sci-fi crime drama is being developed for the U.S. by uber-producer David E. Kelley. The Alphabet has given a put pilot commitment to the project, which is being targeted for the 2007-08 season. John Simm stars in the U.K. version as a 21st century detective who, following a car crash, mysteriously finds himself working as a cop in the 1970s. Kelley himself will pen the script and executive produce via his 20th Century Fox Television-based David E. Kelley Productions. Kudos Film & Television, the company behind the U.K. version, is also on board to produce as are original executive producers Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone.
              This can't be good. Why the hell do we have to keep trying to "re-make" things, dammit? Why not just show the original instead?

Ye gods, if America tried to do this with Doctor Who, we'd be nuked down to the bedrock... and fully deserving of it, too.

Comment

I don't understand the need for a remake either, but BBC America has secured the rights to show the orignal so fear not
                LizWhite.net

Comment

Obviously David E. Kelley has never heard of the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

to be fair, the idea really really works because so many of us remember what the 70s were like in the UK. We, over in th UK, could relate to an American show doing that, because we grew up with American shows in the 70s, as well as our home grown stuff.

But it doesn't really apply the other way round. For example, when we have the pub it is sooooo different to how most pubs are now, it really makes us smile, and the comment about how a "telly, in a pub?" not working would lose its impact.

On the other hand: aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Make it stop!

sigpic

Comment

Man oh man! What's the point of doing a re-make? Is it because the 'quirky' British humour will be lost in translation. Or do the ABC ('Already Been Cancelled') channel think they can do a better job?

I for one, would hate to see a British re-make of Stargate SG-1. I can just imagine the cardboard 'gate shaking when the teams run up the ramp. Saying that, the stories would be of a higher quality than the last run of SG episodes.

*realigns ICBMs*

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                        for one, would hate to see a British re-make of Stargate SG-1.
                        Isn't that called Torchwood? *ducks projectiles*

You never see the Brits re-making American stuff, do you? Probably because most American stuff is utter crap. Maybe that's why Americans have to re-make British stuff... because it's too good and all Americans can understand is utter crap.

Except for those rare, perfect individuals like myself who are able to recognize quality when they see it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

You never see the Brits re-making American stuff, do you? Probably because most American stuff is utter crap. Maybe that's why Americans have to re-make British stuff... because it's too good and all Americans can understand is utter crap.

Except for those rare, perfect individuals like myself who are able to recognize quality when they see it.
                          As Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are made in Canada, does that count as American? As an American, I take offense at your statement. I've lived in many other countries and have seen plenty of "crap" TV in places other than the US. Does America have some truly terrible programing.....YES. Are we alone in that? No. I guess I just don't have the rare ability to recognize good television. Perhaps if I have a long talk with some writers and producers, I'll develop that perceptive ability. In the meantime, I suppose I'll just have to continue to watch "crap".
                          Last edited by Lida; 01 April 2006, 08:41 AM.
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Torchwood? There is no similarity there. The fact that it's about a team appointed by the British Government to procure alien technology is merely a coincidence.

Originally posted by Lida
                            As Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are made in Canada, does that count as American? As an American, I take offense at your statement. I've lived in many other countries and have seen plenty of "crap" TV in places other than the US. Does America have some truly terrible programing.....YES. Are we alone in that? No. I guess I just don't have the rare ability to recognize good television. Perhaps if I have a long talk with some writers and producers, I'll develop that perceptive ability. In the meantime, I suppose I'll just have to continue to watch "crap".
                            Technically, both Stargate series are American. They're filmed in Canada because it’s cheaper. For example, that great work of fiction, Braveheart, was an American production filmed mainly in Ireland. ALL of the film should've been shot in Scotland, but for the fact it was cheaper to film in Ireland. Let's hear it for Great Britain.

Don’t get me wrong, there is some TV here I would never touch with a ****ty stick. Sure, we can continue to watch crap, but it doesn’t mean we have to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                              Don’t get me wrong, there is some TV here I would never touch with a ****ty stick.
                              A ****ty stick? Wow, must be serious.

But then, YOU guys are the ones responsible for TELETUBBIES, aren't you?

Thanks so much for that.

Of course, it could be worse. The Aussies spawned the Wiggles.

Comment

A ****ty stick? Wow, must be serious.

But then, YOU guys are the ones responsible for TELETUBBIES, aren't you?

Thanks so much for that.

Of course, it could be worse. The Aussies spawned the Wiggles.
                                We are happy to oblige. Oh dear, I hope that's the ONLY time I ever hear about the Wiggles.

Comment

Working...
                                X