Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it with networks being so cancel-happy nowadays? I was just getting into Threshold, and it's gone, just like that. Sky One didn't seem to expcect this - they were busy pimping the show at least a month before it aired over here, to the point that many of the people I know refused to watch it on the grounds they'd already had enough from the trailers (althought the pilot did get quite a good number of viewers over here). Sky must really be kicking themselves in the teeth right now.

Originally posted by Janus Ancient
    What can I say, Carla Gugino, man is she gorgeous,
    Indeed - she was really what kept up my interest in the show. *heads off to IMDB to find alternative sources for a Carla Gugino fix*

Comment

I'm pretty sure CBS execs don't really think that a show with a woman leader, a geek, Data, a Little Person (read "dwarf,") and Charles Dutton as a Black Suit is wholeheartedly aiming at male audience identification. Even worse, Carla Gugino may be many wonderful things, but conventionally feminine she is not. Further, the one regular (i.e. "manly"...and white) male, while personable enough, is mostly in loyal subordinate mode.
      Wow.

So it's not my imagination, after all. When men and women don't "assume their positions" viewers are turned off.

Or is it the mostly male execs in the business who are turned off?

But then again, I'm not so sure, since so many fans seem to dislike Ana Lucia from LOST, Weir from Atlantis and love Vala from SG-1....
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

From the last ep, it looks like they are trying to make the intro more cool and hip. Kinda liked the old one better, this one seems a bit of a tryhard.

Oh well, a little too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
          I'm pretty sure CBS execs don't really think that a show with a woman leader, a geek, Data, a Little Person (read "dwarf,") and Charles Dutton as a Black Suit is wholeheartedly aiming at male audience identification. Even worse, Carla Gugino may be many wonderful things, but conventionally feminine she is not. Further, the one regular (i.e. "manly"...and white) male, while personable enough, is mostly in loyal subordinate mode..
          Wow.

So it's not my imagination, after all. When men and women don't "assume their positions" viewers are turned off.

Or is it the mostly male execs in the business who are turned off?

But then again, I'm not so sure, since so many fans seem to dislike Ana Lucia from LOST, Weir from Atlantis and love Vala from SG-1....
          Ironically thats one of the things I liked about it. I liked the characters and their positions and the best part of the show was Carla Gugino as the leader. I certainly hope that the reason most viewers were turned off wasn't because the role wasn't traditional.

I thought they did a great job with the characters but the story was missing something. I saw a quality story hidden in there but for the most part the show took itself too seriously at times and had a kind of stiff formality to it that didn't reach out and grab me. But the execs are definitely jumping the gun. It had potential.

I could like Ana Lucia from lost but she comes of as someone who's teetering on the edge of insanity.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Threshold should be picked up by the Sci-Fi channel. It would be a new show type and just what the channel needs.

Comment

Originally posted by fan457
              Threshold should be picked up by the Sci-Fi channel. It would be a new show type and just what the channel needs.
              Doesnt it have a female lead? I guess if they dump her it may work .
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I guess it depends on how much it costs per ep. They already have their hands full with three expensive shows for Fridays.

But I'd love for Scifi to pick it up.

Comment

Man. I love this show.
                  I was hoping the move to tuesday was just for that week.
                  This is one of the only decent shows from this season. Invasion sucks, but this one definitely has promise.

I hate TV networks. They never actually let a show grab an audience. If 15 million people don't watch the first 2 episodes, it's cancelled. What the hell kind of way to run shows is that?
                  Absurd.

I hope this show survives. I know I'll be watching it.

Comment

I really don't like the first few episodes, the team was not believable, and everyone was uncomfortable with everyone. But as episodes go, I kinda warm up to Threshold now, it does getting better lately with the story, the dialogue and team-wise, they're now believable. I like the snippyness of the geek & the mathematician. I heard they going to take Catherine Bell as recurring caracter or even cast, too bad CBS decide to kick this series in it's tender butts
                    sigpic
                    sig.by : lilferret

Comment

I've noticed that too. At first I kept rolling my eyes at the dialogue, but lately it's gotten better. I think they were in a rush to introduce everything and everyone so it seemed a bit forced.

Anybody know how many eps they have made before they were cancelled?

Comment

I really REALLY enjoyed the opener. The third ep, the one about the cadets, which aired last week in the UK was a decent sort of chugging-along episode. The whole premise to me screams that it's something that would make a superb mini-series or collection of mini-series, especially given the surprisingly good-but-unconventional casting (the lead character is very pretty, but normally only drop dead gorgeous actresses get to lead a show; ones who are merely 'very pretty' tend to play the unattractive functional characters. And each male character is subordinate to a female which is very rare.) I just have doubts about how well it will work as a long-running series. It could either become potential-mass-exposure of the week, going nowhere; or in its desperation to go somewhere it could deepen and tangle up conspiracy after mystery after conspiracy and make some ever more convoluted arc that eventually disappears up its own fundament, like X files did.

I *suppose* it could turn out well as a long running series, although it would take genius to do it. Certainly it's the sort of show that needs an ending, so if it does get cancelled I hope they get four or five eps' notice, minimum.

Madeleine

Comment

Being here in the UK i've only had chance to see three episodes so far so i haven't had chance to really get into the series. Having said that it hasn't managed to really impress me so far.

From past experience i usually know when a series is going to suit me from just the pilot episode. Stargate, Atlantis, Lost, 24 and several others are all shows that hooked me right from the start. Threshold didn't manage to do that.

I would most likely have continued watching for a while to give it a chance but now that cancellation is pretty much certain i'll probably not bother. It was pretty low on my must watch list anyway.

Comment

I was watching threshold i think on abc or nbc and then i find out they canceled it, WHAT THE HELL! I was just getting into the show and next thing i know poof no more episodes. I hate when the do crap like that their were even 3-4 more episodes from season 1 to air that didnt

Comment

No , I was sad too I think that show had great potential and the last 4 episodes got better and better but I got used to it and moved on to other shows now . Shame though , it was great .

Caty

Comment

It never had a chance to run the full course, who knows the finale could have been the best episode...now we will never know

Comment

Working...
                                X