Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny how they become self-aware, and the only emotion they ever develop is anger. Although I can see how they fee this way, the robots never feel any regret about killing a human. Considering they are made by humans, it seems unlikely they would ONLY develop the ability to hate, as well as not feel any regret for killing their "mommy" or "daddy."
    Hmm.... IRobot actually discusses this. I forgot which story but it's the same one with the Nestors in them. I think if it is actually done correctly it can result in a wonderful story but if done wrong it is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberKnight
      Spoilers for the book....
      I'd hate to tell you but just because the three laws exsisted doesn't mean that a robot couldn't kill. Read the book. It specifically spells out why a robot could kill. Actually it seems like the writers of the movie knows what they are doing. If you look at the website the robots name is the NS brand name. In the books the Nestor brand of the robots had a modified first law of robotics. It was theoritically the only robots that could kill a human being. In fact it almost came close. Also Will Smith's character should fit in the whole scheme. There were plenty of people opposed to robots in the book. In fact you could see that throughout the whole book. The movie also mentions evolution of robots. That is also mentioned in the last story of the book. They had no idea how the machines were built since they were built by more machines.
      Yeah I saw the same episode that I believe had some basis on Asimov's books. It had Micheal Shanks in it. The episode was rather quite good.
      Yeah i've read ALL the Asimov books, from the Robby(first Asimov Robot) to Runaround (first mention of the 3 Laws) to The Caves Of Steel.

While Law one states a robot can never harm a human being, many times robots found thier way around it, and I think thats the basis of the movies "mystery". I f this is the case, many Asimov fans will work it out within the first few minutes. However some logical storylines are kinda complex (It took a few times reading Runaround for me to get it!), and thats s perfect place to insert some action to keep non-asimovians going.

Remember in Robots Of Dawn (of the last Daneel novel i cant remember) a robot was ordered to kill a human, simply by instructing it that the human was in fact a humanoid robot? SEE! IT CAN BE DONE I TELL YOU! IT CAN!
      [email protected]
      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
      One nation under dog
      There of which I stand alone
      A face in the crowd
      Unsung, against the mold
      Without a doubt
      Singled out
      The only way I know

Comment

Oh darn sorry! Didn't see the spilers in white. The Nestors were created with a strengthened 3rd and weakened 1st Law, because the humans were working in hazardous conditions and you couldnt have bots running in to grab them away from radiation every time they went to work, and since Nestors were expensive.
        [email protected]

One nation under dog
        A face in the crowd
        Unsung, against the mold
        Without a doubt
        Singled out
        The only way I know

Comment

If you want to see a trailer that is a lot better check out this Japanese trailer! Its been going around a lot of the entertainment sites. Its a lot better the the american trailer.

http://www.foxjapan.com/movies/irobot/

SPOILER?! I dunno, just wanna be safe.

Somebody at another board I go to posted why the robots can do that they do. Here are the three laws.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

How does it work? Well the robots have to take over the humans, why? Because humans kill humans and robots cant let harm come to humans. Simple isnt it?
          "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Thats not the only way! Theres loads of other loopholes that allowed Asimov to write hundreds of stories without ever making a generic "robot go evil and kill us all" storyline.
            [email protected]

One nation under dog
            A face in the crowd
            Unsung, against the mold
            Without a doubt
            Singled out
            The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
              How does it work? Well the robots have to take over the humans, why? Because humans kill humans and robots cant let harm come to humans. Simple isnt it?
              But then they harm humans themselves. Either way the humans will be harmed...so this should create a paradox to the robots, causing their heads to explode.
              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Many Asmovian bots were built with alterations to the 3 laws, strenghtening one or weakening another to produce safeguards against Roblock (R.Daneels "brother" was killed this way in Robots Of Dawn), thus paving the way for rebellious robots.
                [email protected]

One nation under dog
                A face in the crowd
                Unsung, against the mold
                Without a doubt
                Singled out
                The only way I know

Comment

This movie is gonna bomb soooo bad. It doesn't flow right to me. Does anyone else think the robots look stupid??
                  Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                  - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                  - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                  Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                  Mayboune: *shrugs*
                  - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

The three laws of robotics in the 1950s:
                    1) A robot will protect human lives
                    2) A robot will obey human orders unless to do so would break law#1
                    3) A robot will protect its own existence unless to do so would break law#2

The three laws of robotics for the c21st:
                    1) A robot will protect human lives, unless it conflicts with law #2
                    2) A robot will obey human orders unless they conflict with law #3
                    3) A robot will protect its own existence with whatever means necessary, up to and including lethal force. Robots are bloody expensive.

Madeleine

Comment

Interesting enough, the movie was more than decent, it was even good. Will Smith makes the movie funny, it had some boring parts, but hey, it was talk that i thought was boring, but thats just me I would advise people to watch it.
                      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Its on my to do list.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Interesting enough, the main character from 'Holes', has a part in the movie, who doesn't know how to 'cuss good' haha...

Comment

I read a lot of good reviews too! Never judge a movie by its trailer. Will show all those bashers!

I prolly wont watch it in the theather though, still havent seen Spiderman 2.
                            "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
                              I prolly wont watch it in the theather though, still havent seen Spiderman 2.
                              Yah, i usually wait for movies to come out on DVD because yah, sometimes a theater experience isn't all that great, haha...

Comment

You should really check out Spiderman 2......it was amazing.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Working...
                                X