Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (!?!?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this movie! Flash Gordon, Lost Horizon, King Kong, and the Fleischer Superman Cartoons all mixed together. Art Deco Sci-fi at it's best.

Comment

From SciFi Weekly:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/interview.html

(Please follow the link for the complete interviews.)

Director Kerry Conran flies Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow into Sky Captain's wild blue-screen yonder

By Ian Spelling

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is one of the most audacious and ambitious films to come along in a while. A retro SF adventure with a visual look that's part comic book come to life, part animation and part live action, Sky Captain spins a raucous tale that follows the exploits of Joe Sullivan (Jude Law), better known as Sky Captain.

It's 1939, and he's a heroic fighter pilot whose skills, smarts and élan come in handy when a scientist plots the planet's demise, sending in swarms of robots and kidnapping elite scientists. Also caught up in the action are Dex (Giovanni Ribisi), Joe's buddy and gadget guy; Franky (Angelina Jolie), a one-eyed aviatrix and former paramour of Joe's; and Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow), a fashion-savvy and ambitious newspaper reporter who's hot on the scientist story and even hotter for Joe. In fact, they used to date, but now seem to prefer trading barbs that can barely mask their attraction.

Anyway, other than the actors, none of it—the zeppelins, Shangri-la, Radio City Music Hall, the robots—is actually real. Writer-director Kerry Conran shot his actors against blue screens and digitally animated all the rest. Law, Paltrow, Ribisi, Conran and Bai Ling, who plays a mysterious woman aptly referred to as Mystery Woman, recently sat down to talk with Science Fiction Weekly about Sky Captain, which opens Sept. 17.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
      http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
      http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Proof-Positive
      http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Proof-Positive

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Ok...I was watching the previews for the VHS copy of Paycheck (Don't ask why I was watching it or why it was a VHS) BUT...a preview for Sky Captain And the World of Tomorrow...guess what the background music was??? That's right...Stargate SG-1....Any guesses why??? Are TPTB involved...sorry, it was just such a random movie for the theme song to be in.....Anyone else catch that?
        ~I've got a little fron-ache.

Comment

Interesting! Hmmmmmm......

Comment

Actually this has been discussed a number of other times. You should find some answers in the first thread below.

Stargate theme song used for new movie?
            Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (!?!?)
            Did someone Catch this
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Noo ani Anqueetus
              Ok...I was watching the previews for the VHS copy of Paycheck (Don't ask why I was watching it or why it was a VHS) BUT...a preview for Sky Captain And the World of Tomorrow...guess what the background music was??? That's right...Stargate SG-1....Any guesses why??? Are TPTB involved...sorry, it was just such a random movie for the theme song to be in.....Anyone else catch that?
              I was waiting for a movie to start on Turner Classic Movies and there was a preview for Sky Captain. My Mum and I were watching it and talking until we both stopped at the same time and went 'Oh, my God!'

And then we laughed and it was great. lol
              thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Sky Captain wumps louder than any thing else.

Take it from me something posossed me to watch it, it was terrible.

Comment

I heard that on the trailer. I would have fainted if I hadn't remembered that of course they would need the SG1 theme music since ... well, movie music isn't excatly cool anymore - except for Bourne Identity, Lara Croft and Matrix ... yeah ...
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

The "Stargate music" is the most overused movie music.

Comment

Really? Wich films etc. used it?

I didn't like Sky Captain.
                      Why be difficult?
                      Put some effort in and be impossible!

Comment

I just saw this movie and I was going thru the special features and I watched the trailer and noticed that the Stargate SG-1 theme was playing during the trailer. Anyone else catch that? And by the way, It was a great movie.

Comment

The Stargate music gets used in a LOT of movies. It's also in Time Machine, Polar Express and... er... I think another one, too.

Didn't much care for Sky Captain, though. Interesting cinematic effect, but the storyline was meh.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            The Stargate music gets used in a LOT of movies. It's also in Time Machine, Polar Express and... er... I think another one, too.

Didn't much care for Sky Captain, though. Interesting cinematic effect, but the storyline was meh.
                            That's weird. I have never heard of a thing like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Davis
                              That's weird. I have never heard of a thing like that.
                              You need to get out more, then.

Music in movies gets recycled ALL THE TIME. Not just Stargate, EVERYTHING. Any piece that sets a certain mood. I know I've heard bits from The Abyss in a couple of places. And I think ET, too.

edit: from the Film Score Monthly FAQ:

Q: What was the music I heard in a trailer to an upcoming film?

A: Motion picture trailers today are almost always produced independent of the actual films they are advertising. Certain pieces of music have become very popular amongst these trailer production companies for their ability to "sell" a movie and convey a lot of emotion in a short period of time -- hence they are frequently used in trailers to unrelated pictures.

Film scores like Come See the Paradise, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Rudy and Hoffa -- and classical pieces like the ubiquitous "O Fortuna!" from Carmina Burana -- are several notable examples of pieces of music which have been taken out of their original context and used over and over for different marketing campaigns.

Comment

I thought it was fun. =0) I can't say that the storyline was predictable because as far as I was concerned it wasn't. I enjoyed the laughs and effects. I'm sure there are other storylines that are better but SKWT holds a special place in my heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X