X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piratejenna
    (5) Dark Star - beach ball aliens, sentient bombs, surfing in space

(10) The Postman. Well, I liked it. Pity nobody else did!
    I loved both books. Never saw the movie Dark Star. Will add it to my growing pile of reccomended movies.

BTW, this is a cool thread.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

(8) 2010 - much more enjoyable than 2001 (oops, sacrilege)
      Not at all. I hated 2001. I wouldn't have been able to follow it at all if I hadn't read the novel (which was excellent). The movie was just awful.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

this includes kaiju and american monster movies

1)Jurrasic Park(child hood fav of mine even after I read the book)
        2)Return of the Jedi
        3)Empire Strikes back
        4)Godzilla 1954(the original not the crappy american one)
        5)godzilla vs Mothra and king ghidorah
        6)King Kong (the original not the 80's remake)
        7)Aliens
        8)Revenge of the Sith
        9)the Lost world Jurrasic park(book was MUCH MUCH better though)
        10)Starship Troopers(havnt read the book though...)

Comment

1, i'robot
          2, back to the future trilogy
          3, star wars ep3
          4, fith element
          5, jurassic park
          6, independance day
          7, War of the worlds
          8, Aliens
          9, Contct
          10, Stargate
          i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

(10) The Postman. Well, I liked it. Pity nobody else did!
            I did... I liked the premise... I do think, however, that it was a just a wee bit too long...
            My colleague who is a scifi fan recommended it to me otherwise I would never have touched it.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

1) Empire Strikes Back
              2) Flight of the Navigator
              3) Attack of the Clones
              4) Contact
              5) The Matrix
              6) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
              7) Terminator 3
              8) Demolition Man
              9) The Chronicals of Riddick
              10) Ghostbusters

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer

10)Starship Troopers(havnt read the book though...)
                The Heinlein novel is very different from the movie. If you really liked the movie, you might not like the book...at first... Check it out anyway. A lot of it is setup and dialogue, but when I re-read it, I realized that it was worth it.

The bugs are actually a race instead of just animals, and some of the characters are a little different, and there are things from the book that I would've liked to see in the movie, but what can you do?

Check it out anyway.
                "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you" -Teal'c
                "You guys really gonna listen to Garry?? He could BE one of those THINGS!!" -Windows
                Me on my last ski trip The source of my power
                "You guys think I'M crazy! Well, that's fine! Most of ya don't know what's going on around here, but I'm damn well sure SOME of you do!! You think that thing wanted to be an animal? No dogs make it a thousand miles through the cold! No, you don't understand! That thing wanted to be US!!" -Blair

Comment

In no particular order....

- The Day the Earth Stood Still (Klaatu barada nikto! )
                  - Galaxy Quest
                  - Star Wars original trilogy
                  - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
                  - Deep Impact
                  - Blade Runner
                  - Planet of the Apes (original)
                  - Star Trek: The Journey Home
                  - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
                  - Invaders From Mars (1953)

The last one is for nostalgia's sake (maybe a little corny by today's standards though). I saw it on tv when I was really young. The whole movie was seen from the kid's point of view, which appealed to me. There are scenes from it that stick in my memory to this day, impressionable youth that I was!

Fun idea for a thread!

Comment

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
                    In no particular order....

...Invaders From Mars (1953)

The last one is for nostalgia's sake (maybe a little corny by today's standards though). I saw it on tv when I was really young. The whole movie was seen from the kid's point of view, which appealed to me. There are scenes from it that stick in my memory to this day, impressionable youth that I was!

Fun idea for a thread!
                    I had forgotten about Invaders from Mars!! I, too, saw that movie on TV when I was a child and still retain many images from the film in my mind. Dated by today's SFX standards, as you say, but incredibly interesting if you watch it while keeping in mind the many different themes, not just the scifi plot, but the cold war menace parallel, the end of childhood psychological struggles, and the influence of expressionism on the cinematography. Fascinating.

Comment

I know I already made my top ten list but I only just saw The Day After Tomorrow and I loved it. Why? Because I HATE disaster/end of the world films because I always wind up depressed afterwards. But something about the ending of this movie just made up for the typically depressing "we're all going to die" fare. It was so hopeful.

So I add this to my list as well.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I know that this sort of makes it 11 films for me but since we were talking about it in the Aussie thread, I'd love to see The Night That Panicked America again. Great film.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkLord
                          8. Constantine
                          I loved that movie! I know hardly anyone who likes or has seen it through! Its amazing - defiantly one of my favs!
                          Ses
                          James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                            I had forgotten about Invaders from Mars!! I, too, saw that movie on TV when I was a child and still retain many images from the film in my mind. Dated by today's SFX standards, as you say, but incredibly interesting if you watch it while keeping in mind the many different themes, not just the scifi plot, but the cold war menace parallel, the end of childhood psychological struggles, and the influence of expressionism on the cinematography. Fascinating.
                            Wow! Another Invaders from Mars fan----didn't think anyone else had even heard of it.....

Certain aspects of it made a strong impression on me. I remember the sense of fear and alienation (no pun intended ) that the little boy had when he realized his dad had been taken over and that he couldn't trust him anymore, that he had become the enemy. The visual things that are still vivid to me are the old broken-down fence at the top of the hill; the sand disappearing into the earth as yet another person is sucked under; the tell-tale mark on the back of the neck (sounds familiar...) of those taken over by the Martians. (And after looking this up on Imdb, I see that one of the heroes of the film was a female astrophysicist!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ses
                              I loved that movie! I know hardly anyone who likes or has seen it through! Its amazing - defiantly one of my favs!
                              I didn't mind it but it certainly had a very strange take on Christianity...
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

well, after seeing Constantine, I don't think i'll start smoking EVER again!

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

Working...
                                X