This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I can almost guarantee that ALL of them wouldn't give a rat's ass if God Himself came down and told them to shut up. Because, of course, they're perfectly right and God, well, who asked Him anyway, right?
    I feel sorry for these people sometimes if they adopt this attitude here they probably have the same attitudes in real life - these attributes dont endear you to anyone
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Telawen
      Every fan has an opinion or idea what should happen to his/her favorite character or favorite show.
      True. No one is debating this. However, shouldn't there be a line between, say, liking a particular storyline and telling the producers they need to die because said storyline doesn't happen? Or between liking a certain character and telling another fan that they're crap for NOT liking that character? Or even telling fans/producers that they aren't allowed to think something because YOU don't like it.

"Respect" is not just the refrain of an old Mo-town song.

Comment

it's complicated. on one hand, fans shouldn't get so caught up that they believe that they "deserve" something. but on the other hand, the producers, directors, writers, etc. should respect the fans. if they make major changes, they might lost fans that liked how it was originally. but if they don't make changes, most people will get bored. because change is a part of life. like i said, it's complicated.
        Save us from danger, save us from evil
        Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Originally posted by twiggy
          it's complicated. on one hand, fans shouldn't get so caught up that they believe that they "deserve" something. but on the other hand, the producers, directors, writers, etc. should respect the fans. if they make major changes, they might lost fans that liked how it was originally. but if they don't make changes, most people will get bored. because change is a part of life. like i said, it's complicated.
          It's a fine line. TPTB should respect the fans, absolutely, without them, there's not a show. But that doesn't mean they should run the show dictated by what Joe Fan wants. But on the other hand (how many do we have now?), if TPTB aren't in touch and end up alienating many, that is something that should be addressed. All in all, nothing good comes of the rabid foaming of the mouth, this-is-the-ONLY-way-things-should-have-happened type of ranting that some fans are prone to.
          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
          Daniel: Oh! You see?
          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
            She just said that it was 'Bad' with no explanation at all

Therefore people reading that thread may form a bad opinion of me

As for countering I am on her ignore list so she cant see my reply

So I got someone to quote my reply so she could see it

She didnt respond but made a cryptic remark about a moderator removing my post

Shes the one with the problem - Shes the one who needs moderating
            qasimjavid -- I see your feelings had been hurt, and I didn't meant to add insult to injury. For whatever it's worth, someone calling your views "bad" does not automatically make them so. If that post really bothers you this much, perhaps you could post in the same thread to ask the poster to qualify "bad" or elaborate on her comments? You could then ascertain their merit, if she replies; if not, then I should think the sound of her silence speaks louder than any name you could think for her. (As for the "Ignore List" ... well, your reply would make its way to the poster the same way your "bad views" did )

To be clear, I do not seek to justify red-repping others for difference of opinion or any such questionable practice. Nor do I condone the seemingly boorish behavior being attributed to the ubiquitous "she" in this thread. (Personally I have never given out any red-rep -- if a post bothers me enough, I’ll counter it in its respective thread; otherwise I’ll let it slide.) I happened to think this particular instance germane to the foregoing discussion: we had gone to some length to delineate opinions from the person holding them, and corollary to that would be the notion that criticism of a certain point of view is not necessarily a judgment upon the person advocating it.

Of course, behind every opinion and every post, there is a real person with feelings and, God forbid, pride; but IMHO anyone seeking to validate any sense of self-worth via a public forum is bound for disappointment. There have been much talk about what should or shouldn’t be "modded" -- interstingly enough, one would think the "verbing" itself suggests where the sole discretion resides . I feel for the frustrations behind the sentiment; sometimes I even share them in abundance. Ultimately, however, I appreciate the mods adhering to clearly established guidelines in spite of "public pressure." Upholding and enforcing rules -- consistently with without bias -- across a forum of this size is taxing enough already, salving our bruised egos should not have to be part of their job description too.
            In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume
              ...salving our bruised egos should not have to be part of their job description too.
              Oh, I definitely think my ego deserves to be salved! However, I'd much prefer to find other sources to do the salving. Particularly if they're young, male, and malleable to my wicked plans. But that's probably off topic. And possibly in danger of breaking the PG rules of the forum. hehe

Comment

qasimjavid -- I see your feelings had been hurt, and I didn't meant to add insult to injury. For whatever it's worth, someone calling your views "bad" does not automatically make them so. If that post really bothers you this much, perhaps you could post in the same thread to ask the poster to qualify "bad" or elaborate on her comments? You could then ascertain their merit, if she replies; if not, then I should think the sound of her silence speaks louder than any name you could think for her. (As for the "Ignore List" ... well, your reply would make its way to the poster the same way your "bad views" did )
                I know bad doesnt automatically mean bad

But if you saw a post like that about me wouldnt you think of it the next time you saw a post by me (and maybe the time after that...)

The poster has ignored my posts and my PM's - therefore in my eyes she is rude and impolite
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

I thought a Mod asked us to not speak in specifics?

I still say the Ignore feature is the best stop-gap solution. And if some folks are so appallingly ill-mannered that everyone (or nearly everyone) knows about it, then when those freaks start dumping on people, no one is likely to listen. And those who don't know any better will quickly learn the error of their ways.

Comment

This is an interesting thread.

About Entitlement:
                    Sometimes the most adamant people don't know what they want or will accept otherwise if ignored. For example, recently where I live a radio station changed its format to No Requests. They play what they want. They don't have people calling in, and they don't play the same six songs all day. When they first switched, most people were annoyed. Now, they are the best radio station in town, but when people hear of the station's premise, they become resistant until they listen to the station. Fans wouldn't be fans if they didn't like what TPTB have produced before. While fans' opinions are valid, it will always be someone else's actual show.

Personally, I like when the writers tease the fans. It lets me know they're listening. I found all of the inside jokes of Citizen Joe, for example, amusing.

About Angry Fans:
                    I admit some people go too far on line, but I wonder if some forum structures don't encourage this. Personally, while I try to give and get green rep, I never pay attention to someone else's opinion of another poster, and so far, I have never been tempted to give out red rep, even when a post has annoyed me. I wonder if the need to be seen as cool or knowledgable online does not contribute to some of the useless social jockeying seen in real life. I enjoy the forum because I don't have to be prim and proper 100% of the time, but a line of courtesy still exists.

Admittedly, I have not had much contact with anyone on the board causing me trouble, but some fans do begin to feel they are entitled to their opinions too much online. They forget tone of voice and email courtesy rules, and perhaps, they don't see that simple smiley that would change the tone of their post.

I enjoy Gateworld more than many forums I have posted on or seen, and I enjoy the people here. Yet, Gateworld is a fun activity I use to reduce my stress levels. The minute that I feel entitled to my views or the minute I find everyone else's views impeding my world view is the minute I need to find a hobby.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                      This is an interesting thread.

About Entitlement:
                      Sometimes the most adamant people don't know what they want or will accept otherwise if ignored. For example, recently where I live a radio station changed its format to No Requests. They play what they want. They don't have people calling in, and they don't play the same six songs all day. When they first switched, most people were annoyed. Now, they are the best radio station in town, but when people hear of the station's premise, they become resistant until they listen to the station. Fans wouldn't be fans if they didn't like what TPTB have produced before. While fans' opinions are valid, it will always be someone else's actual show.
                      I'm of a similar opinion... It's one thing to criticize someone else's work but it's another thing to tell them what to do with it... especially when I've never sold a poem much less had a novel published.
                      I'm sure JK Rowling gets thousands of letters every month from HP fans and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them make the odd "suggestion". But ultimately it's her name on the cover of the books and whatever mistakes or brilliant touches she makes they are hers. She's the one who has to live with whatever reception she gets.
                      It is important for writers, film makers, artists to present their own vision because they can't always please all of their fans all of the time or all of the people all of the time. At times there is a great deal of polarity of views and the artists have to go with their "instincts".
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

... Particularly if they're young, male, and malleable to my wicked plans. ...
                        Nah, "malleable" is so last-season and overrated. Methinks you (and your ego) can deal with "challenging" quite handily.

I still say the Ignore feature is the best stop-gap solution. And if some folks are so appallingly ill-mannered that everyone (or nearly everyone) knows about it, then when those freaks start dumping on people, no one is likely to listen. And those who don't know any better will quickly learn the error of their ways.
                        Now, you must have meant "freaks" in the most affectionate way possible, haven't you?

About the "Ignore Feature" ... occasionally I'll see a post that amounts to utter gibberish -- not due to its opinion(s) or its tone but because of the serious flaw in its line of reasoning. Times like this I'm tempted to use that feature, and then I'll talk myself out of it by thinking "well, maybe next time he/she/them will post some gem of wisdom that everyone else misses."

Seems I'm not learning from the error of my ways ...

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                        But if you saw a post like that about me wouldnt you think of it the next time you saw a post by me (and maybe the time after that...)
                        I don't think I would. I try to judge a post by its own merit, and I tend to think most sensible people will do the same. I wouldn't sweat it, were I you.

Comment

Now, you must have meant "freaks" in the most affectionate way possible, haven't you?
                          FREAK:

1. A thing or occurrence that is markedly unusual or irregular.

One would hope that the antagonizers are, still, unusual/irregular enough in their occurance on the forum to be considered freaks.

And yes, I could probably manage a challenge or two. Adds a bit of sparkage to the relationship.

Comment

One would hope that the antagonizers are, still, unusual/irregular enough in their occurance on the forum to be considered freaks.
                            Do I detect a trace of (dare I say) optimism shining through?

A random observation ... do you have a finger on the pulse of this forum or something? The speed with which your reply comes through is rather ... freakish (but, of course, I meant that in the most affectionate way ).

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I enjoy the wit.

Comment

Well, I'm subscribed to this thread (among others) and you just happened to catch me as I was coming online.

Comment

I don't think I would. I try to judge a post by its own merit, and I tend to think most sensible people will do the same. I wouldn't sweat it, were I you.
                                Most of the people here arent that sensible they are just freaks lol just joking

I am aware that a number of people around here will believe anything you feed them - but thats life
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X