Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite fictional character...and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaCroix
    I find it ironic on the day he (C.S. Lewis) died, another writer crossed the Field of Arbol too, Aldous Huxley, and both of these passings were overshadowed by one very important passing, assassination of President John F. Kennedy in November.
    Chronicles of Narnia is STILL running in the local theater and it's not even that good. Lewis was a great storyteller and christian philosopher. He also wrote the screwtape letters, a major demon advising his young protege how to mess up the lives of humans, The Great Divide, an eye opening and logical view of heaven and The Four Loves. I hope Nanrnia revives interest in him further....

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      Cthulhu!
      Many, many moons ago, I had a copy of the "Call of Cthulu" role playing game. At the back was a section of poems and the like about it. The one that I can remember bits of was a song, sung to the tune of "Chatenooga Choo-choo".

Pardon me boy, is this the road to Great Cthulu? In the city of slime, where it's night all the time?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
        Chronicles of Narnia is STILL running in the local theater and it's not even that good. Lewis was a great storyteller and christian philosopher. He also wrote the screwtape letters, a major demon advising his young protege how to mess up the lives of humans, The Great Divide, an eye opening and logical view of heaven and The Four Loves. I hope Nanrnia revives interest in him further....

I hope so too. I've been trying for years to get my son to read anything by C.S. Lewis to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
          If you're interested in CS Lewis and The Screwtape Letters, you'd definitely be interested in this wonderful parody of the The Da Vinci Code Screwtape style:
          http://dickstaub.com/culturewatch.php?record_id=985
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
            I hope so too. I've been trying for years to get my son to read anything by C.S. Lewis to no avail.
            Don't worry, I came to Lewis late myself... I know lots of people have as well. I only started reading Narnia when I was about 11 and some people I know only got into Narnia as adults.

One of my favourite fictional characters in the whole world is Lord Peter Wimsey... he is as his name suggests... whimsical, brilliant, sensitive and underestimated. I love him to death... A character wonderfully written by another great Christian thinker, Dorothy Sayers.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Good ole' Rodney McKay.

Why? Because he reminds of me so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                If you're interested in CS Lewis and The Screwtape Letters, you'd definitely be interested in this wonderful parody of the The Da Vinci Code Screwtape style:
                http://dickstaub.com/culturewatch.php?record_id=985
                Very funny... thanks.

Comment

John Locke from Lost is one of the most interesting characters every created for TV.

And of course you have to love Dr Gregory House.
                  "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                  I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Boch
                    John Locke from Lost is one of the most interesting characters every created for TV.

And of course you have to love Dr Gregory House.
                    Ah, Greg House...

Quick question - who's ruder to people, Dr. Greg House or Dr. Robert "Rocket" Romano from ER?
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

House - but he is sooo much more talented with witty invective that it is really not a contest!

Can I also add William Tell Sackett from the Sackett series of Westerns by Louis L'amour. First "met" him (and his brothers and cousins) when I was a whippersnapper of about 10 and still love him today.
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

How can you call your self a scientist and not worship at the feet of Roddenberry

Comment

Thats not possible to be a scientist and not fall to the feet of gene.
                          sigpic
                          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

For the benefit of those who've not figured it out yet, Dr. Greg House is based loosely on Sherlock Holmes. House - Holmes, geddit?

They're both drug addicts: Holmes to cocaine, House to painkillers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Smart.
                              Noble.
                              Wise.
                              Powerful.
                              Humble.
                              Enigmatic, yet straightforward.
                              Amazing.

Comment

Gosh... there's just too many to list...

Daniel Jackson- I see a lot of myself in Daniel. I tend to talk fast, I'm a geek, I love history and linguistics...

Jack O'Neill- I'm so damned sarcastic...

John Crichton- Hey, he's the hero of my favorite show of all time... how can I not name the frelnik?

Zhaan- Gentle Zhaan... she didn't diserve to die, but she did so saving her friends, it was the only way it could have gone down.

Teal'c- An alien who loves Star Wars and Old School. How can you not put him on your list?

Scorpius- I'd love to say he's deliciously evil... but he's simply ruthless in his pursuit to stop his mortal enemy. Easily one of the best bad guys ever.

Gimli, son of Gloin- C'mon.... it's friggin' Gimli.

Yoda- Again... it's friggin' Yoda.

There's just too many more to name......

Steve Zissou
                                Dominar Rygel XVI
                                Chiana
                                Ka D'Argo
                                Jean-Luc Picard
                                Darth Vader
                                "The Narrator" from War of the Worlds
                                Trapper John MacIntire
                                Charles Emmerson Winchester III
                                R2-D2
                                Duncan MacLeod

Just too many favorites...... I really can't choose one above them all......
                                Last edited by Bragi; 17 March 2006, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X