No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woooohooooo..... finally saw the movie... I had to go to Brazil 2 days before the movie came out.... and

So I landed this morning at Newark airport from Brazil after a 9 1/2 hour flight drove 1 1/2 back home... called a friend and went straight to the IHOP next to the theater, had breakfast and at 10:30am.... finally.... saw the movie...

Loved it, really, really liked it... impresed with the efects and how real everything seemed...

Regarding the book vs the movie
    Spoiler:
    I like better this adaptation that book 3, for me they cut way to much of the stories of PoA, but I guess in a way, allowed for this one to be accepted...

I would have also loved Krum tell Harry that his flying was "great" or give the autograph to Ron...

Regarding 2007... Woooohooooo in a month, I can say that HP Book 7 is coming out "Next year"

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

I agree about PoA director doing a crappy job in adapting book to a movie. I mean the book was tiny!

Guess what.. we have an IMAX but they aren't showing Harry!!! What a bunch of @ssholes! They would have made millions!

Comment

that sucks..why wouldn't they be showing Harry Potter..unless they are waiting until later or something...who knows
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
          I thought you two loved Harry Potter!
          I thought YOU loved HP!
          gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Guess what.. we have an IMAX but they aren't showing Harry!!! What a bunch of @ssholes! They would have made millions!
            awwwww! That's horrible!
            gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse
              I thought YOU loved HP!
              that's why I want to be in total madness for 3 years instead of 2!

Comment

hehehehe, i just saw the preview for the movie (AGAIN!) and i am watching SGA too on ABC
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
                  hehehehe, i just saw the preview for the movie (AGAIN!) and i am watching SGA too on ABC
                  I have seen the trailer only twice on TV. First before the movie and second after the movie. And of course now everyone is wondering why on earth is Sorcerer's Stone still got more money than GoF in the first weekend of showing. Well I remember they advertized the first two movies like crazy, and GoF hardly ever. If they advertized more, they would have had more people seeing it... of course only the "casual" non readers wouldn't know when GoF is coming out.. well you know what I'm talking about!

Comment

I've been working my way through the books (again), currently around half way through OotP.

Something I noticed in CoS got me thinking. When Harry's sitting in Dumbledore's office, having just defeated Riddle and rescued Ginny etc., Dumbledore mentions that "...only a true Griffindor..." could have pulled the sword from the Sorting Hat.
                    Does this mean - as I think it does - that Harry is a descendant of Goderic Griffindor?

Similarly, in GoF, when the Sorting Hat is singing it's song, there's a line about "Fair Ravenclaw from glen..." or something similar. This seems to imply that Rowena Ravenclaw was Scottish.

Anyway, now I've had a week to mull things over regarding the GoF movie, here's one or two thoughts:

I would've liked to have seen more of the Quiddich World Cup, even if it was only a montage sequence. Never mind Ludo Bagman doing the commentary, it should've been either John Motson (legendary commentator for British football matches, famous for his wooly coat) or Bill McClaren (equally legendary commentator for Scottish Rugby matches).

When Harry and the other Champions entered the maze, the brass band shoud've been playing the theme from The Great Escape.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I don't think Harry is the descendant of Godric Gryffindor. A true Gryffindor is someone who has all the traits of a Gryffindor, and Harry is so very brave! And it was Fudge that was doing the commentary Durring world cup in the movie

While reading HBP yesterday, I think I have a theory on what another Horcrux might be.
                      p. 504, American hardcover edition
                      Dumbledore: "You are thinking of portkey, Harry, which must be ordinary objects, easy to overlook. But would Lord Voldemort use tin cans and old potion bottles to guard his own precious soul? You are forgettig what I have showed you. Lord Voldemort liked to collect trophies, ans he preferred objects with a powerful magical history."

Spoiler:
                      now, as many of you know, HBP has many similarities with CoS. JKR even said once that she wanted parts of HBP to be in CoS originally, and CoS was supposed to be a sixth book anyway. Well anyhow... You know in CoS when Ron was on detention, cleaning TROPHIES??? And he found the one awarded to Tom Riddle for special services to the school???? Now I don't know about awards in Britain, but who would leave a trophy awarded TO THEM in the school after they left??? And we also all know that he did not always used objects with powerful magica history... a diary for example didn't have any history. So here you go... another horcrux that is at Hogwarts!
                      Last edited by Erised; 28 November 2005, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I don't want the madness to be over so soooooooon!!!!!
                        I think I'm agreeing with you on this one, I dont want HP to be over!!! *sobs*

sigpic
                        Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                        Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

I don't think Harry is the descendant of Godric Gryffindor. A true Gryffindor is someone who has all the traits of a Gryffindor, and Harry is so very brave! And it was Fudge that was doing the commentary Durring world cup in the movie

While reading HBP yesterday, I think I have a theory on what another Horcrux might be.
                          Dumbledore: "You are thinking of portkey, Harry, which must be ordinary objects, easy to overlook. But would Lord Voldemort use tin cans and old potion bottles to guard his own precious soul? You are forgettig what I have showed you. Lord Voldemort liked to collect trophies, ans he preferred objects with a powerful magical history."

Spoiler:
                          now, as many of you know, HBP has many similarities with CoS. JKR even said once that she wanted parts of HBP to be in CoS originally, and CoS was supposed to be a sixth book anyway. Well anyhow... You know in CoS when Ron was on detention, cleaning TROPHIES??? And he found the one awarded to Tom Riddle for special services to the school???? Now I don't know about awards in Britain, but who would leave a trophy awarded TO THEM in the school after they left??? And we also all know that he did not always used objects with powerful magica history... a diary for example didn't have any history. So here you go... another horcrux that is at Hogwarts!
                          Yes! I totally agree with ya there...I never thought of that until now
                          sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

nice theory but wouldnt dumbledore have checked it himself

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Spoiler:
                              Doesn't Hogwarts keep ALL the trophies awarded to other people? They have James' trophy.
                              And I doubt its a horcrux, Voldermort didn't learn how to do that till after he left Hogwarts, and I doubt he's stupid enough to come back to Hogwarts to turn it into a horcrux right under Dumbledore's nose.

sigpic
                              Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                              Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

well, we all know that Tom Riddle wanted to come back to Hogwarts.. and we know it's for SOMETHING because that's what Dumbledore said. So it has to be a trophy or something else. I'm sure it's the trophy.... I mean it'd be pretty stupid if there is no horcrux at Hogwarts! One is at Hogwarts, one is probably at the ministry.. and one is his snake, Nagini.. which leaves how many?
                                And he will have to find out what happened to a Horcrux that R.A.B. stole.

As for why Dumbledore hadn't wondered whether the trophy is a horcrux.. well My theory is that Dumbledore was focusing more on the really hard-to-find-and-get horcruxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X