Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hermajesty
    Wow! I've just finished it - pretty intense.

SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE BOOK. REALLY, DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED.
    Spoiler:
    Yes, I thought that too, as soon as I read the note. It makes sense, I like the idea that Sirius's brother managed to discover at least part of voldemort's secret. But why did he turn against Voldemort - any ideas? Also, does it actually say anywhere in the books that Regulus's middle initial is A?
    Spoiler:
    I agree about the whole RAB being Regulus. As for why he turned, maybe Sirius convinced him, or maybe he just got cold feet once he realized how bad Voldemort really was. And it never does say his middle name starts with an A, though many of the names on the Black tapestry started with A, and names are often passed down as middle names. So ya never know

Comment

I agree with Amon_Ra that
      Spoiler:
      Snape was trying not to hurt Harry at the end. He had already killed Dumbledore, so why not do the same with Harry?

Comment

Last night on Wikipedia I found that they have chapter by chapter summaries of the 6th Book, which means that after reading it for 1/2 an hour I know what happins in it. Today at school I used this to my advantage and spolied the ending for everone. It was fun just watching people screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! after I told them.

Just Thought I'd tell the world

Oh by the way, Dumbledore dies!!!
        The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
        Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
          What's a dais anyone? I've been wondering since reading book 5
          It's a kind of raised platform - kinda like a stage, but in the middle of a room. Usually has a few steps leading up to the top, like in bk 5. Actually, a better way to describe it would be like the platform that the stargate stands on in Chulak. With a kinda freaky arch in the middle of it instead of a stargate.

I had to read the book in one sitting too Amazon delivered at 8.07 Saturday am (was very impressed with the promptness) and finished it around 4 pm (kids kept interrupting for breakfast, lunch etc - so inconvenient ). I thought it was fantastic - but I've loved all the books so that wasn't a surprise.

Spoiler alert - if you don't want to be told what happens - STOP READING THIS NOW!!!!!!!

What did surprise me
          Spoiler:
          was that Dumbledore got killed by Snape. Probably because I read it so fast I didn't connect all the dots .... should have figured that one out when I finally twigged he was the half-blood prince. Still believed in Dumbledore knowing more than he did.
          Last edited by Oma-1; 18 July 2005, 05:22 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate

I havent read it yet

Why you cant use spoilers?????? WHY??????????????

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Niiice.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I was totally wrong about who I thought the HBP was and who the main character was that was killed and who killed that person. I am quite pissed off and very sad over the death of the main character.

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate
                  I would really appreciate it if you used the spoiler thingys..."[]spoiler][/]spoiler]" (minus the second bracket in the beginning of the tag)...it then would not ruin things for people who haven't read the book yet...thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

ROFLMAO LOL Unlucky guys
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

oh no...i wasn't meaning me...i have the book and have read it...i was talking about those other unlucky souls out there
                      sigpic

Comment

Shipmum and I agree that there's more to that death than we realize.

Spoiler:
                        Maybe Dumbledore was begging Snape to KILL him, not to spare him. That whole scene was very dodgy. Dumbledore had absolute faith in Snape right until then, and THEN suddenly doubted him enough to plead? I don't think so. We don't know what arrangement Dumbledore had with Snape, and I believe that there's a monumental and incontrivertible REASON for Dumbledore to trust him... and for Snape to trust Dumbledore.

Remember how, when Dumbledore agreed to take Harry on the quest, he made Harry swear to obey his every order, NO MATTER WHAT? Who's to say he didn't make Snape swear the same thing?

Snape's reaction to Harry chasing him didn't make much sense, either, and I think it goes beyond the need to keep Harry alive for Voldemort.

I think that Snape is as much "Dumbledore's man" as Harry is.

Comment

Before i read the book i knew who would die.

Comment

I don't think that
                            Spoiler:
                            Snape is bad. He had to do that so that he could infiltrate the Death Eaters. Then he will eventually met V. and Harry can kill V.

Comment

Spoliers Highlight to Read:
                              I dont know that I agree with you about him being as much Dumbledore's Man as harry, but there is something very fishy going on. I mean The locket for one was odd, and harry noticed it rigth away that it wasnt the same as the one Dumbledore put in his pocket, A friend at work speculates that that wasnt really dumbledores body at the base of the astronomy tower, that is was something transfigured to look like him, and the locket was put there maybe not for harry to find but Voldemort. I on the other hand think as of right now Dumbledore is dead, but not maybe the dead we think of. As for the Snape /Harry Fight well it was odd, Harry using the dark arts and unforgivables was just odd, but in the end we know that harry will be as powerful as Voldemort himself and that snape and malfoy or any of the death eaters wont stand a chance. But i am still sadened over Dumbledores death! Harry snapping at the MoM was great!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                                ...(Between the War on Terror and the War with Voldemort, poor Tony Blair must really have his hands full...
                                Quick correction... as that scene in the first chapter would have taken place in the summer of 1996, the PM there would be John Major, not Tony Blair.

As for my opinion of the book:
                                Spoiler:
                                Fantastic! <--- (Salford accent, manic grin). Very good read, had me gripped for the whole weekend. Didn't get to see the Stargate premiers till Sunday evening, such was my grippedness. As for the end, and the apparant death of Dumbledore... I don't want to talk about that. I'm still processing.
                                "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                                "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                                BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X