Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
    We're already kind of discussing the book over in the Harry Potter Appreciation thread.

Yes, I am hanging out there... I had nothing to do yesterday at the library but read the book and I love it. Damn you library! Get me hooked on HP books! I swore I would never read them

Anyways:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=4363946
    Thanks..! I'll post there some... but since I started this thread, I'll continue to post here too. I've already started here... so I might as well keep going.

Chapter three- Good for Harry..! Poor Prof. Dumbledor... hope he gets that taken care of... At least Harry won't have to suffer the Dursely's for too much more after this.
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

It might be a good idea to have a separate thread for the newest book. That way there won't be any unpleasant shocks for folks reading the Appreciation Thread who might get accidentally spoiled.

I've already finished the book. Gotta say, I guessed early on who was going to die. It isn't always nice being right. And I won't say more than that for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        It might be a good idea to have a separate thread for the newest book. That way there won't be any unpleasant shocks for folks reading the Appreciation Thread who might get accidentally spoiled.

I've already finished the book. Gotta say, I guessed early on who was going to die. It isn't always nice being right. And I won't say more than that for the moment.
        I'm using spoiler tags in the other thread.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
          ^ read 4 and 5
          Oh yes because I just have it right beside me

The library isn't open today (if I was I would be working and reading the new Harry Potter book)...

I could go and maybe steal the books from my friend...

No wait, she's in the city all weekend...

Bah, I guess I'll have to settle with making some RODNEY icons

Comment

Bah, I guess I'll have to settle with making some RODNEY icons
            mmmm... The ultimate cure

sigpic
            Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
            Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
              mmmm... The ultimate cure
              Yeah, go over the Stargate Livejournal Icons thread or maybe even my livejournal

Comment

I have another theory:

Spoiler:
                It's been bugging me why Snape killed Dumbledore! Of course, there's the possiblity that he's really bad, which I don't think is quite true. He did make an Unbreakable vow to finish the job if Draco was unable to. Also, Snape said that he was a good actor. The contempt on his face when he killed Dumbledore could have been and act. Additionally, Dumbledore begged Snape. To do what, is uncertain, but it may have been to kill him. This is my primary theory. It is consistant with Snapes outburst at Harry afterwards of, "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!" for it would have taken bravery to fulfill a friend's deathwish. What do you think?
                Spoiler:
                Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Originally posted by memnarch
                  I have another theory:

Spoiler:
                  It's been bugging me why Snape killed Dumbledore! Of course, there's the possiblity that he's really bad, which I don't think is quite true. He did make an Unbreakable vow to finish the job if Draco was unable to. Also, Snape said that he was a good actor. The contempt on his face when he killed Dumbledore could have been and act. Additionally, Dumbledore begged Snape. To do what, is uncertain, but it may have been to kill him. This is my primary theory. It is consistant with Snapes outburst at Harry afterwards of, "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!" for it would have taken bravery to fulfill a friend's deathwish. What do you think?
                  Spoiler:
                  Yep, that seems quite plausible. The question is why did dumbledore want Snape to kill him? I just made a huge post discussing this on another board - it's here if you want to read it and other peoples' speculation.

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Ok, bought the book earlier and decided to read the entire thing in one sitting. Loved it.

Spoiler:
                    I did think there was too much ship at times, and some of it was completely unexpected. And i was so sure that Snape was acting and wasn't evil, but it did seem a bit like he wanted Harry harmed as little as possible at the end. So i suppose it's possible Dumbledore wanted him to do it, we know he's certainly not one to be afraid to die for the cause.

Comment

I'll give my thoughts on the first two chapters here.

CHAPTER 1
                      Spoiler:
                      I didn't expect that. The prime minister in a HP book? Cool! Cornelius Fudge fired? Yipee! Seriously though, that was one hell of a way to start the book. Vance and Bones dead, Muggles dying, dementors breeding. JK Rowling, you've done it again!

CHAPTER 2
                      Spoiler:
                      Hmm. Snape can't be really evil, can he? Evil people don't live in run-down dumps, do they? What, he's living with Wormtounge? I SMELL A SITCOM! That Unbreakable thingummy sounds serious. Doesn't seem like something that can be broken, does it? I hope Malfoy dies.

Comment

I'm using spoiler tags in the other thread.
                        Yes, but sometimes in their excitement, people forget. Or they typo a tag. Or they figure since everyone ELSE is talking about it, they don't NEED to use tags. *shrug* Whatever makes folks happy, I guess.

Comment

Should official spoiler warnings be put on the thread title so we don't have to worry about tags?

re: first chapter... I thought it was kind of pointless. I mean, yes, it accomplished something, but none of it really led anywhere and it seemed kind of gratuitous. I'm also a bit tired of Muggles being sterotyped as stubbornly resistant to the idea of magic and being cranky when they're shown proof. But maybe that's just me.

A few things surprised me about this book. I was right about who died, but I was also wildly wrong about two other things. Although, in my defense, I was wrong about one because I was wrong about the other.

Comment

got the book at 1 a.m. Saturday ..... just finished at 8 a.m. Sunday....

J.K. Rowling .....AWESOME ... love the book can't wait for book 7

Comment

Thankfully harry and his friends doesn't have to play the ball game (quitish or something) in book 7. That really slowed the story and no fun to read.

Comment

Got the book at 9.05am on Saturday and finished it at midnight Saturday. All I can say is WOW, J K Rowling certainly shocked me and
                                Spoiler:
                                I cried for the last 50 pages, after nearly dropping the book. I kept waiting for it not to be true and for it somehow to have been a trick but alas it wasn't to be.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                                NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Working...
                                X