No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep you have totally lost in all the in the name of Shipping which should be good

Hopefully.....there......is..........a .........cure ofr it *hides*

Comment

what?! you weren't supposed to answer that j/k but i mean, i still ship R/H and H/G..what the heck is wrong with shipping S/L...i mean, would you rather i ship me/snape teehee
      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
        The only thing I have is, Harry and Hermione and several others in the book sunk to the level of the Death Eaters in order to accomplish their goals. I mean, I know "Inter Arma enim silent leges", but still....does that justify the use of the Cruciatus curse,I mean, yeah, "Imperio" and "Avada Kedavra" are acceptable... but torturing someone with an illegal curse because they spat in another's face?

Granted, at the time, they probably aren't illegal anymore, but still.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Spoiler:
          I think the onlt reason they use it, was that they had no other choice. on top of that they are at war, so they knew their most of the normal speels won't work

Comment

Spoiler:
            Not to mention that the war had started and that Voldemort was coming. Two less Death Eaters to worry about is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
              Spoiler:
              The only thing I have is, Harry and Hermione and several others in the book sunk to the level of the Death Eaters in order to accomplish their goals. I mean, I know "Inter Arma enim silent leges", but still....does that justify the use of the Cruciatus curse,I mean, yeah, "Imperio" and "Avada Kedavra" are acceptable... but torturing someone with an illegal curse because they spat in another's face?

Spoiler:
              It undercuts the whole speech Harry has earlier in the book about not wanting to be like "them." I agree. I thought a few of the spells were overdone. Sometimes, the dark magic was needed, but spit isn't enough of a reason to torture someone.
              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

ah! i am sooo getting to like Snape/Lily fanfics....ah!!
                sigpic

Comment

oh goodie..... *looks innocent*

Does that mean you be doing them too?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                    Since when does "[i] probably will" do a Potter encyclopedia equal "I've signed a binding contract"?
                    What I said was a joke.....I meant to have "magical" in there (as in the binding magical contract from GoF).

Okay, not much of a joke, but you get my point.

But in truth, yeah pretty much, she has esentially said that she'll do it- she's mentioned it so many times, and this time she actually gave details. Saying "Probably" is a way of ensuring that they're aren't demands that it's done right away. She needs a break.

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    It undercuts the whole speech Harry has earlier in the book about not wanting to be like "them." I agree. I thought a few of the spells were overdone. Sometimes, the dark magic was needed, but spit isn't enough of a reason to torture someone.
                    Spoiler:
                    Of course, but he's a character, and characters do stupid things like go back on their word, just like people do. A spit isn't enough for the curse, so Harry made a huge mistake there. That's part of the character, I think his actions were believable.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Are the Unforgiveable curses really dark magic? I mean, sure using them lands you in Azkaban, but I don't remember reading that they were.
                      Spoiler:

Oh, and what about the Dark Mark? Why wasn't it menacingly glowing over the castle? I mean, one might forget after a few kills, but fifty four! There must have been some order by Voldemort to not use them.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Spoiler:

Oooh, little bit of Latin there,
                        Spoiler:
                        "In time of war, the law remains silent".
                        Very true.

Bellum nec timendum nec provocandum.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                          I was surprised at this too. But then I remembered that they had been using the Cruciatus curse on students, so this may have been the real reason Harry used it.

As for Latin phrases.....

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
                          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Oh yeah? Well - fabricate diem!
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

err.... well.... Yu Mo Gwai Gui Fai Di Zao (green for the first person to know what I'm referencing)
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                What I said was a joke.....I meant to have "magical" in there (as in the binding magical contract from GoF).

Okay, not much of a joke, but you get my point.

But in truth, yeah pretty much, she has esentially said that she'll do it- she's mentioned it so many times, and this time she actually gave details. Saying "Probably" is a way of ensuring that they're aren't demands that it's done right away. She needs a break.

Spoiler:
                                Of course, but he's a character, and characters do stupid things like go back on their word, just like people do. A spit isn't enough for the curse, so Harry made a huge mistake there. That's part of the character, I think his actions were believable.

Spoiler:
                                That's not it tho. I think JKR made it very clear in previous books that using these is not about a mistake - and also it comes back in this book, doesn't it. When Harry successfully uses the Curciatus curse and says Belatrix was right, you have to want it...

I think she - perhaps inadvertly - crossed a line here. Because her attitude througbhout this book was exactly "inter arma".... which is something she came out against in the previous books. Not to mention that today when this phrase is used it's usually in a negative, ironical way, not as a justification.
                                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                                Yes, I am!
                                sigpic
                                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                                X