No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grrr.... Speak not to me of the on-line retailer that shares its name with a mighty South American river!
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      I am 99% positive that they do- I'm surprised that the British covers aren't sold in the US though.
      Haha ok should I order them now or wait until (if) the whole set comes out?

Comment

I heard a lot of talk today about how Harry has to die for the series to be wrapped up. But is it really so essential? Pirates 3 wrapped it up nicely (though I'm sure a few execs want to keep churning out the dough on that franchise)
        So, any thoughts on an ending that would wrap everything up without the death of Harry?
        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
        Caboose: They could be worse?
        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
          Haha ok should I order them now or wait until (if) the whole set comes out?
          I'd wait if I were you- full set will probably be cheaper than individuals- I'm suprised that I can't find a full set listed yet, at least not on Amazon.ca.

Comment

I'd wait til after release day, and try e-bay.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Does anyone know if the "pages" of the book that were "leaked" are real? Because someone spammed my LJ comments with giant block letters saying "what happens", and I'm panicing because I read the first few words before realizing what it was.....

Comment

I haven't read those pages and won't!!! I'm so glad I'm not involved in any fandom anymore.... No spoilers... just surprises!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
                  I haven't read those pages and won't!!! I'm so glad I'm not involved in any fandom anymore.... No spoilers... just surprises!!!
                  This wasn't even in fandom! I'm not active in HP fandom for this very reason! This was some random ******* that I've never heard of who went and posted a comment on my now-to-be-private LJ only five days after I started the thing, on an entry where I happened to mention how excited I am for the final book. And I am none-too-pleased at all.

Comment

Even if they are real, I wouldn't read them. I mean, come on, you don't have to wait so long anymore. In 15 days you can read the real one...
                    sigpic

Peter Petrelli: What do you do with something that killed you?
                    Nathan Petrelli: You could put it underneath your pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                      I heard a lot of talk today about how Harry has to die for the series to be wrapped up. But is it really so essential? Pirates 3 wrapped it up nicely (though I'm sure a few execs want to keep churning out the dough on that franchise)
                      So, any thoughts on an ending that would wrap everything up without the death of Harry?
                      I'm sure JK will think of a more original ending for the book. So far all her books have pretty much surprised us all.

sigpic
                      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

yes i just found out they will have a midnight showing on tuesday here!!!!!!!!!!1
                        sigpic
                        Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

*draws eyes away from HBP re-read and pokes head into thread*

Are we there yet?

I used to dabble in HP fandom but it drove me nuts after a while, and now remain un-spoiled. I am disinclined to believe anything I read on the Internet about "what definitely absolutely positootly is gonna happen" in the book - this way I stay (fairly) sane.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            Does anyone know if the "pages" of the book that were "leaked" are real? Because someone spammed my LJ comments with giant block letters saying "what happens", and I'm panicing because I read the first few words before realizing what it was.....
                            From what I've read, a man was sent to prison for four and a half years after releasing information he stole in advance of HBP's release date. They aren't even investigating this guy's statements because they're not credible.

Rowling's publishers have worked very hard to keep the manuscripts off computers, to the point of using employees to hand-carry manuscripts between the States and the UK. Very few people know where the copies are being printed and where they're being stored once they're printed. The goal is to release the books to the stores within 24 hours of its release date. They admit they can't do this for all the books, but they have managed to make arrangements for most stores to receive their books within that 24 hour window.

So some random person goes on the internet, claims to have hacked into the information from an office that didn't have the manuscript loaded on any of its computers and then releases "spoilers" that he made up. I wouldn't worry about it.
                            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Hmmm... All this talk of the book being on computers (or not as the case may be) got me thinking.

Do you guys think an illustrated PDF version of the books that one could read on ones laptop/PDA/Blackberry/PSP (delete as applicalbe) might be an idea for sometime in the future?

Just a random idea...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                                From what I've read, a man was sent to prison for four and a half years after releasing information he stole in advance of HBP's release date. They aren't even investigating this guy's statements because they're not credible.

Rowling's publishers have worked very hard to keep the manuscripts off computers, to the point of using employees to hand-carry manuscripts between the States and the UK. Very few people know where the copies are being printed and where they're being stored once they're printed. The goal is to release the books to the stores within 24 hours of its release date. They admit they can't do this for all the books, but they have managed to make arrangements for most stores to receive their books within that 24 hour window.

So some random person goes on the internet, claims to have hacked into the information from an office that didn't have the manuscript loaded on any of its computers and then releases "spoilers" that he made up. I wouldn't worry about it.
                                I feel slightly better.

That level of security for a book is just amazing- equally amazing is the fact that with so many copies being printed that they can keep it under wraps. I remember for HBP a store in Vancouver sold six copies a week beforehand, and everyone who bought one had to sign forms etc. promising not divulge anything, but got autographed copies of the book when it did come out. Made international news I recall.

Comment

Working...
                                X