Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exciting exciting exciting!

I love Big Finish so much!

Just finished Torchwood: One Rule. Absolutely love it, shows a side of Yvonne Hartman that is genuinely believable and massively makes up for her wasted appearance in Army of Ghosts. It's the classic 'For Queen and Country' Torchwood that I love the concept of so much...

Speaking of 'For X and country'...

I miss the Forge. I would love to see some form of link between them and Torchwood...

I also miss some of Seven's more interesting exploits. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Hector/Hex/Thomas whatever has been ended as an arc... but I want to see where things headed next. Are we to assume that the next episode is Love and War? I feel Seven desperately needs to be pushed forward with further story development. I also want to see more Klein and Seven, they were great!

PS - Digi, quick amendment for your timeline - 1963: The Assassination Games is a Countermeasures prequel I think...

Also, from Benny's perspective, The New Adventures take place AFTER her other boxsets, even though from the Doctor's perspective they're kind of before.... if that makes sense.... it's all very wibbly wobbly. I know why you've not put down the majority of the BS single releases, but it might be worth slamming in 11.04 - Dead Man's Switch, and the special episode 'Many Happy Returns' which has a very special cameo at the end and takes place whilst Benny is on Legion.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 12 December 2015, 03:14 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      PS - Digi, quick amendment for your timeline - 1963: The Assassination Games is a Countermeasures prequel I think...
      Did not realize. Easily fixed!

Also, from Benny's perspective, The New Adventures take place AFTER her other boxsets, even though from the Doctor's perspective they're kind of before.... if that makes sense.... it's all very wibbly wobbly.
      It does...but that main sheet is intended to be (primarily) Doctor-centric, with the occasional branch-off into spin-off series (ie: placing the Cyberman series after Sword of Orion). So in this case, the placement of the Benny New Adventures sets is dictated by the fact that they're during Seven's tenure, rather than where they sit relative to Benny. By the same token, the earlier Benny box sets I've placed where they are because Gallifrey is in line with Eight's tenure, and the Benny box sets have a lot to do with Brax's exit from the Gallifrey series and (re)appearance in Benny's line.

Wibbly-wobbly indeed

I know why you've not put down the majority of the BS single releases, but it might be worth slamming in 11.04 - Dead Man's Switch, and the special episode 'Many Happy Returns' which has a very special cameo at the end and takes place whilst Benny is on Legion.
      Hmm....I actually do have Many Happy Returns in there because I intend to get to it at some point, but currently it's relegated to the 'not yet placed' stuff way down at the bottom. I'm not familiar with Dead Man's Switch though
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Did not realize. Easily fixed!

It does...but that main sheet is intended to be (primarily) Doctor-centric, with the occasional branch-off into spin-off series (ie: placing the Cyberman series after Sword of Orion). So in this case, the placement of the Benny New Adventures sets is dictated by the fact that they're during Seven's tenure, rather than where they sit relative to Benny. By the same token, the earlier Benny box sets I've placed where they are because Gallifrey is in line with Eight's tenure, and the Benny box sets have a lot to do with Brax's exit from the Gallifrey series and (re)appearance in Benny's line.

Wibbly-wobbly indeed

Hmm....I actually do have Many Happy Returns in there because I intend to get to it at some point, but currently it's relegated to the 'not yet placed' stuff way down at the bottom. I'm not familiar with Dead Man's Switch though

Dead Man's Switch
        is the final single release that occurred and quite happily takes place smack bang between Year Zero and Epoch. Where you'd put it in relation to other Doctor Who dramas is arbitrary. I'm struggling atm to remember exactly how they flow between each other, so unsure as to whether DMS should be closer to YZ or Epoch... but hey. Not sure it matters too much.

Many Happy Returns - don't listen to it.

Seriously.

Don't.

I mean - it is FANTASTIC, and really emotional.... but in all honesty, if you've not listened to the single releases range it'll be totally lost on you.

All you need to know is that...

Spoiler:

The Seventh Doctor has cameo right at the end which is quite lovely. And from Benny's perspective it's set right between Legion and the next boxset. So should be fairly easy to place

Listening to 'The Three Companions' at the moment... I miss The Brig.

PS - side note;

Anyone have any suggestions as to which (if any) of the Doctor Who dramas might be ideal as a gift for a six year old? Preferably something straight forward with Daleks in it...
        Last edited by Flyboy; 13 December 2015, 09:14 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

So - perusing the Big Finish website... I've just noticed this about the next Gallifrey release:

"Lalla Ward (Romana), Louise Jameson (Leela), Sophie Aldred (Ace), Seán Carlsen (Narvin), Miles Richardson (Braxiatel), Celia Imrie (Livia), Tom Allen (Plutus), George Watkins (Gaal), Hannah Genesius (Trave). Others parts played by the cast"

I'm guessing a substantial link to 'Intervention Earth'!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm hoping! Even though the absence of both Juliet Landau and Stephen Thorne is a little odd....
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-mega-823

'The Mega' reduced to £2.99 for download for 48 hours only! A really good Lost Story audio, would definitely recommend!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but this series of Xmas sales has been a bit of a revelation for me... Literally every one of the sales has fallen into one of two categories for me; either I already own it, or else I'd already decided I wasn't interested. I may have a problem

Also, don't know if I'm alone in this, but man am I ever getting tired of all this promo for their Prisoner set. I gather it's Nick Briggs's pet project, but I just don't care...

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but this series of Xmas sales has been a bit of a revelation for me... Literally every one of the sales has fallen into one of two categories for me; either I already own it, or else I'd already decided I wasn't interested. I may have a problem

Also, don't know if I'm alone in this, but man am I ever getting tired of all this promo for their Prisoner set. I gather it's Nick Briggs's pet project, but I just don't care...
                  I agree. Not really had much call for the sales... unfortunately I also like hard copies as I mostly listen to the audios when driving now...

And yeah, Prisoner - not interested...

On a side note, been listening to the River Song spin off series - and it's pretty good. She's not my favourite character, and certainly not my favourite time travelling archaeologist, but her stories are good. And the last one, which I am yet to listen to, features the 8th Doctor! I was a bit hesitant, as I was expecting them to be Companion Chronicle-ish, but they're full cast... so that's good!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't read/subscribe to DWM but I gather there's some exciting news in the latest issue, about the spring releases of the Monthly Range being a new trilogy. From what I've read:

MR #210 "And You Will Obey Me" (April) is by Alan Barnes, and will see Five face Geoffrey Beevers's Master.
                    MR #211 "Vampire of the Mind" (May), by Justin Richards, will feature Sixie face Alex Macqueen's Master.
                    MR #212 "Two Masters" (June), by John Dorney, will see Seven face both Beevers AND Macqueen's Masters.

Multi-Masters!!

Comment

Aha, now confirmed!

Comment

This is exciting!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

At last the only multi-Master story is not the one where they form a band(facepalm).
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Thread's been a bit quiet lately...

The Master to turn up in Jago & Litefoot series 11! And series 12 confirmed! I am both pleased and horrified that I've started listening to this range and rather enjoying it!

Monthly Range #208 "The Waters of Amsterdam" released!

Series 5 of the Fourth Doctor Adventures has begun!

The current series of the Early Adventures range has concluded with the release of "The Isos Network"

Comment

Thread's been a bit quiet lately...

The Master to turn up in Jago & Litefoot series 11! And series 12 confirmed! I am both pleased and horrified that I've started listening to this range and rather enjoying it!

Monthly Range #208 "The Waters of Amsterdam" released!

Series 5 of the Fourth Doctor Adventures has begun!

The current series of the Early Adventures range has concluded with the release of "The Isos Network"
                              Yes, it has. I think it's because Blencathara not been around since before the New Year and she is a big contributor to this thread and other DW-related threads. I know she lives in North Yorkshire and that there's been severe flooding around her neck of the woods and I'm really and very sincerely hoping she hasn't been affected by it. If she has been, then it might take her a bit of time to get back on her feet. I miss her and talking and playing DW-related games like the last latter game for example.

I'm very excited about BF mixing it up by having different incarnations of the Master fighting incarnations of the Doctor they're not normally associated with. That should be a lot of fun.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Oh dear I had no idea. Blen, if you're reading but don't have time to post: I hope all is well! Best of luck and maybe we'll see you soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X