No announcement yet.

Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished Destination Earth last night.

Spoiler:
    What a cliffhanger!

I'm not certain where this is fitting into the scheme of things. What happened to Leela? When and why did Romana II regenerate? What the hell is Braxiatel doing there? It's going to be interesting finding out.

Super stuff though. I loved hearing going outside the buildings of the Citadel. Nice change from being inside them all the time. I loved Narvin going off to Earth on his mission and his adventures with the natives. Poor Lukas! I rather liked him. Hearing him spying on Narvin was excellent. I'm still not quite sure what to make of Romana III. She's an altogether colder more devious character now. Interesting take on her though.

And now the wait until May for the next installment. Luckily Bernice Summerfield is on her way in the post.

Last edited by Blencathra; 21 October 2015, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      I have to say I am totally and completely and utterly in love with Narvin. I am so sorry Lucie Bleedin Miller, but you will have to step aside as my favourite Big Finish character, and let the Co-ordinator take your place. What a fantastic character he is! He has had the most fantastic journey with superb character development. I love his snark and his loyality and his outraged splutterings and his fear of spiders. I filled up with tears when he stopped behind with Leela in Extermination and I was grinning like an idiot at his excitement at killing a Dalek. I am more thrilled at Narvin killing his Dalek than hoards of superheroes swathing down legions of enemies. [BTW nice touch with the Daleks asking for mercy in these audios as well.] Well done Sean Carlsen for playing him so brilliantly.
      Oh my, yes! Narvin cracks me up like no other. He was perhaps not the best antagonist at the beginning of Gallifrey's run, but I adore how they've evolved him into sarcastic, resigned exasperation. Makes me laugh every time

Narvin: What’s this — you’re offering me something?
      Braxiatel: Only my hand.
      Andred: It’s a human custom. You say “how do you do” and clasp hands. A symbol of trust and friendship, apparently.
      Narvin: How uplifting.
      Wow timing! I've been doing an Eight/Gallifrey re-listen lately, and just hit that part yesterday.

More Narvin hilarity

I finished Interventiom Earth last night.

What a cliffhanger!
      This has been one of my absolute favourite releases this year. For me (nearly) the whole thing came together as one fantastic package. Ace, Juliet Landau's Romana, Narvin (of course), the 'insider' twist, the unexpected reappearance, and oh my, Stephen Thorne's Omega was nothing short of brilliant. I loved the diary-style episode intros, the theme music, just everything about it was awesome. My only complaint was the 'demented chase music' right near the end -- what the hell was that?

I liked the cliffhanger too...I'm just a little bit annoyed that there's no confirmed follow-up/resolution, since Enemy Lines stars the original cast. Unless EL ends up being both prequel and sequel, somehow?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Oh my, yes! Narvin cracks me up like no other. He was perhaps not the best antagonist at the beginning of Gallifrey's run, but I adore how they've evolved him into sarcastic, resigned exasperation. Makes me laugh every time.
        And me.

The Narvin love started off as pretty much a slow burn, before getting to total adoration - slowly but surely getting to like the character more and more (I seem to remember feeling much the same way about Gene Hunt in Life on Mars). Excellent bit of writing I thought.

Wow timing! I've been doing an Eight/Gallifrey re-listen lately, and just hit that part yesterday.

More Narvin hilarity

This has been one of my absolute favourite releases this year. For me (nearly) the whole thing came together as one fantastic package. Ace, Juliet Landau's Romana, Narvin (of course), the 'insider' twist, the unexpected reappearance, and oh my, Stephen Thorne's Omega was nothing short of brilliant. I loved the diary-style episode intros, the theme music, just everything about it was awesome. My only complaint was the 'demented chase music' right near the end -- what the hell was that?
        That struck me as being a bit odd as well. Oh well, the rest of it was pretty much perfect, I think we can forgive them for that slight oddity.

Can I also mention that I really liked the rather satisfying hum that a staser makes when it's... what..? being turned on? charging up? Anyway, it's nice. I can't remember whether they always sound like that & I only just noticed it in Destination Earth.

I liked the cliffhanger too...I'm just a little bit annoyed that there's no confirmed follow-up/resolution, since Enemy Lines stars the original cast. Unless EL ends up being both prequel and sequel, somehow?
        That's what I was thinking... that we would get the middle part leading up to all of this and the final rescue in Enemy Lines. I certainly hope so anyway.

I am so happy that somebody found out that Narvin will be in the War Doctor box sets at some point. But I am also thinking please don't kill him.... please don't kill him...

Incidentally I just mentioned on Tumblr how much I love Narvin, and BOOM! my dash instantly lit up with loads of other people who love him as well. Somebody send me a message that...

At Big Finish Day this summer, Nick Briggs actually took a little poll and asked how many of us were Narvin fanciers. He looked… vaguely disturbed at the enthusiastic show of hands.

Edit - Bernice Summerfield arrived safe & sound, so I'm listening to her today.
        Last edited by Blencathra; 23 October 2015, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Tweet from David Richardson

A huge @bigfinish announcement tomorrow. A secret we've been keeping for a year. In the morning, the amazing news will be out there...
          and from Big Finish twitter

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/658343448651649024

Get Ready... 10:00am 26/10/15 #DoctorWho
          Last edited by Blencathra; 25 October 2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I wonder if this is them announcing the oft-rumoured Ten/Donna series? Or something else entirely?
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I wonder if this is them announcing the oft-rumoured Ten/Donna series? Or something else entirely?
              Rumored? I thought it was a done deal.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

That piece of info came from Blogtor Who with no official confirmation from Big Finish.

I'm guessing the news will be about 10/Donna as well. The announcement being at 10 o'clock gives it away a bit I guess. (But I don't mind being surprised by totally different news. )

What I am surprised about is how Big Finish have managed (more or less) to keep all this stuff quiet in the first place, and the frequency of these surprise announcements - which seem to be coming every month. If they make an announcement in December that they have Christopher Eccleston then I may just need to lie down.

BTW I think it's only a matter of Time before they get the 11th Doctor. I bet Matt Smith would be willing to do something, even if it's just a little cameo in a River box set.
                Last edited by Blencathra; 26 October 2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...tor-adventures

Click for bigger.

David Tennant is returning as the Tenth Doctor alongside Catherine Tate as his companion Donna Noble in three Doctor Who Audio Dramas!

David Tennant portrayed the Doctor on screen from 2005 until 1 January 2010, returning to play alongside Matt Smith and John Hurt in the 50th Anniversary special The Day of the Doctor in 2013. Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, and after a series and two festive specials she made her last appearance alongside David on 1 January 2010. Their on-screen partnership is generally regarded as one of the great high-points of the enduring science fiction phenomenon.

'I still remember the sense of joy I had when I heard that David had been asked to play the Doctor,' says Big Finish executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery. 'We were all so pleased for him — as we knew how much Doctor Who meant to him. And now David comes full circle, back doing Doctor Who with Big Finish — except that this time he’s playing the Doctor! It’s the same but different — it’s wonderful to have him back!'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures will be released in May 2016 and comprises three thrilling full cast audio adventures.

The series opens with Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Technophobia by Matt Fitton, which is set in a London slightly in the future, where mankind is gradually losing its ability to use everyday technology. Could there be an evil force at work?

In Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Time Reaver by Jenny T Colgan the Doctor and Donna arrive on Calibris - ‘An entirely mechanical planet. Catch, hitch, fuel, fix, buy, pretty much any kind of transportation in existence.’ It’s also a world full of scoundrels, where a deadly black market has opened up in a device known only as the Time Reaver.

Finally, in Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Death and the Queen by James Goss, Donna is swept along in a fairytale romance and meets the man of her dreams in the beautiful land of Goritania. What can possibly go wrong? And why has the Doctor never heard of Goritania?

'I’ve enjoyed working with all the Doctors on TV, but David is on the only one I’d known before he became the Doctor,' says executive producer Nicholas Briggs. 'I’d worked with him on our Dalek Empire series for Big Finish and had such fun. So along with the excitement of directing new Tenth Doctor adventures, I’m so happy to be working with an old chum again.'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures is produced by David Richardson, script edited by Matt Fitton and James Goss and directed by Nicholas Briggs.

'This is one of those dream projects where I’ve spent months pinching myself. I’m covered in bruises,’ says David. ‘With two major international stars in place, and the legacy of this era of the TV show to live up to, we’ve worked our socks off to try and make some very special stories for this box set. Expect adventure, fun, scares... and some tears too.'

Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures will be released in May 2016 - exclusively on the Big Finish website. Each of the three titles are available to pre-order separately today for just £10.99 on CD or £8.99 to download. A bundle of all three titles is also available for £25 on CD and £22 to download!

All three stories are also available in the Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume 1 – Limited Edition set. Limited to just 5,000 copies and available exclusively from bigfinish.com, and the lavish book-sized box set includes exclusive artwork, photography, articles and a one-hour documentary featuring interviews with the stars and production team. You can pre-order the set today at the special price of £30 on CD or £25 to download – offering a £5 discount against the standard price!!

A whole universe of further Doctor Who releases are also available from Big Finish, with upcoming productions featuring John Hurt's War Doctor, Alex Kingston as River Song and Jemma Redgrave leading the forces of UNIT.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/comi...ed-10th-doctor
                  Last edited by Blencathra; 26 October 2015, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Synopses of The Tenth Doctor Adventures

1.1 Technophobia by Matt Fitton

When the Doctor and Donna visit London’s Technology Museum for a glimpse into the future, things don’t go to plan.

The most brilliant IT brain in the country can’t use her computer. More worrying, the exhibits are attacking the visitors, while outside, people seem to be losing control of the technology that runs their lives.

Is it all down to simple human stupidity, or is something more sinister going on?

Beneath the streets, the Koggnossenti are waiting. For all of London to fall prey to technophobia...

1.2 Time Reaver by Jenny T Colgan

Calibris. The spaceport planet where anything goes. Where anyone who doesn't want to be found can be lost, and where everything has its price. Where betentacled gangster Gully holds sway at the smugglers’ tavern, Vagabond’s Reach.

The alien Vacintians are trying to impose some order on the chaos. Soon the Doctor and Donna discover why. An illegal weapon is loose on the streets. A weapon that destroys lives… Slowly and agonisingly.

The Time Reaver.

1.3 Death and the Queen by James Goss

Donna Noble has never been lucky in love.

So when, one day, her Prince does come, she is thrilled to have the wedding of all weddings to look forward to. Though the Doctor isn’t holding his breath for an invitation. And her future mother-in-law is certainly not amused.

But on the big day itself, Donna finds her castle under siege from the darkest of forces, marching at the head of a skeleton army.

When it looks like even the Doctor can’t save the day, what will Queen Donna do to save her people from Death itself?

Written By: Matt Fitton, Jenny T Colgan, James Goss
                    Cast: David Tennant (The Doctor), Catherine Tate (Donna Noble)

Technophobia
                    Niky Wardley (Bex), Rachael Stirling (Jill Meadows), Chook Sibtain (Brian), Kevin (Rory Keenan), Lukas (Jot Stevens)

Time Reaver
                    Alex Lowe (Soren), Sabrina Bartley (Cora), Terry Molloy (Rone), John Banks (Gully), Dan Starkey (Dorn)

Death and the Queen
                    Blake Ritson (Rudolph), Alice Krige (Queen Mum), Beth Chalmers (Hortense), Alan Cox (Death)

Other roles played by the cast

Comment

I don't usually care about Limited Editions and their extras...so I find it doubly amusing that, currently, it is cheaper to buy the LE than it would be to buy the three releases individually.

Comment

I'm having a bit of a hipster moment and grumbling about the Tenth Doctor dramas...

It's irrational and childish. But I just want more Seven and Eight please.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          I'm having a bit of a hipster moment and grumbling about the Tenth Doctor dramas...

It's irrational and childish. But I just want more Seven and Eight please.
                          What's there to grumble about?
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                            What's there to grumble about?
                            I am irrationally concerned about the degradation of our beautiful Classic Who continuation medium...

On the flip side, there's every chance that this will give us high quality Ten stories, which were a rarity on television...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              I am irrationally concerned about the degradation of our beautiful Classic Who continuation medium...

On the flip side, there's every chance that this will give us high quality Ten stories, which were a rarity on television...
                              I doubt the new series will consume it in any way. Big Finish is already a massively convoluted thing(with all due respect) far bigger than its televised counterpart, meaning that at this point, NuWho will just be the chocolate sprinkles on the ice cream.

Not so sure about those Ten stories, though... none of the descriptions seemed particularly inviting to me. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

What I want for Big Finish is for them to be successful and attract more people to listening to their stories. If that means diversifying into "New" Who then I'm all for it.

I don't know if you guys have ever checked out Big Finish on Companycheck? - https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0...IMITED/summary

Seems to me that having £11 in the bank in 2013 is a bit on the low side.

Comment

Working...
                                X